Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Ford Truck (Pikes Peak)

3 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Wow. This is super slick. I was kicking around a similar idea using the Foose truck.

I hear ya man.  That Foose kit is really nice and would make a nice project for something like what I'm building.

6 hours ago, slusher said:

Very interesting build Bob, you have me interested in watching!

Thank's Carl.  Interesting in deed.  I'm looking into an engine from the Iceman for the business end.  I'm thinking a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel Engine but this is not in stone yet.

• Like 1

Not getting much bench time but I did manage to get the front filled in.  I still need to putty it and sand it smooth.  I have also mounted the front and rear axles on top of the leaf springs.  

20240425_090321.jpg

20240425_112654.jpg

20240425_112715.jpg

20240425_113409.jpg

• Like 2

I have the body fairings glues to the body.  They didn't fit as snug as I originally thought when I did a mock-up but they look pretty good.  Since the fairings extend the wheel out further I had to come up with a solution.  I found these white pieces in the parts box and they fit on the spindles and on the back of the wheels nicely.  I may turn them down a little. 

20240426_101135.jpg

20240426_101611.jpg

20240426_102219.jpg

20240426_102236.jpg

20240426_102242.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Were the disc brakes not included in the body kit? They normally do if you order with the wheels and tires (but I could be mistaken...). They act as spacers, and also to lower the ride height without needing to modify the suspension. 

Disk brakes do not come with this body kit.  

Rain is holding me up on getting any painting done with no relief in sight.  With the issues I've been having lately with paint it's going to have to be nice and dry for a couple days and the humidity below 60% before I put anything in the paint booth.

7 hours ago, slusher said:

when raining good time to brush paint'  going to be 90 degrees a day this week.  Man' not much  of spring this  year".

I hear ya Carl.  There is a window of opertunity later today or maybe tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes.

My plan is to try and get the body in primer this afternoon.  The humidity right now is at 95% and I want it to drop below 60% before before I'l paint.  I'm also going to try something new.  I'm gong to try the paint over bmf for the script.  The front script I trimmed as close as I could to the letters and on the F-1 on the sides of the cab I just cut a rectangle around the script.  I think this is how it is normally done.  Once the paint is dry I'll come back with a pointy Q-Tip and lacquer thinner and rub the paint off the bmf on the script.  

20240430_075256.jpg

20240430_080806.jpg

20240430_083001.jpg

• Like 1

Well...the weather cooperated today and I got a lot of painting done.  Painted the chassis a Rust-Oleum flat black and it may get cleared.  Got the wheels Painted with Tamiya Semi Gloss Black and they will get cleared.  I got the body in Tamiya Light Gray primer and everything is looking good so far.    

20240430_134310.jpg

20240430_134420.jpg

20240430_141322.jpg

20240430_141336.jpg

20240430_141809.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing how the emblems turn out. Have been thinking about trying that method myself. That body kit looks really sweet on the truck.

Watched your youtube video, and those wheel backs almost look like brakes inside those wheels. I'd be tempted to paint them "steel" or some similar color. I think black my make the wheels disappear a bit.

5 hours ago, ksnow said:

Looking forward to seeing how the emblems turn out. Have been thinking about trying that method myself. That body kit looks really sweet on the truck.

Watched your youtube video, and those wheel backs almost look like brakes inside those wheels. I'd be tempted to paint them "steel" or some similar color. I think black my make the wheels disappear a bit.

When it came time to wipe the paint off the bmf on the script with lacquer thinner it was touch and go.  You really need a steady hand.  I couldn't do the F-1 script.  It was just to small for me.  I don't care for how it turned out.  I also got my wheels and tires finished.

20240501_085305.jpg

20240501_131648.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ksnow said:

Thanks for the update. The hood script looks great. 

Wheels and tires turned out very nice.

Thanks.  I may hit the center caps on the wheels with the chrome Molotow pen.

It is raining today but I did get the body wet sanded & polished.  Unfortunately we have rain forecaster for the next week so I can't get the interior painted.  I'm thinking of a single seat in the cab with a fire extinguisher and Nitro's bottle in the passengers side.  I have some Nitro's bottles coming from the Iceman today.    

20240503_100454.jpg

20240503_100506.jpg

37 minutes ago, espo said:

With a single seat are you thinking a center steer setup? 

Nope.  The steering wheel will be in the stock location.

• Thanks 1

I got my Ford 7.3 Power Stroke engine in last night and I have it off the tree and cleaned up ready for paint.  How's the Roadster coming along?

20240504_113817.jpg

• Like 1