Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XK-E Coupe

mrmike

My latest project-Revell's Jaguar XK-E Coupe. I had to get extra parts from Revell DE due to a couple of short shots in the molding process. And, now to cover up the red plastic and change the color to Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl with a tan interior. I've heard of using flat black followed by silver followed by my color choice to cover the red plastic. If I use a primer, do I use it before all of the cover coats or not? I want to do this process correctly and not to add my primary color in many, many coats to cover the red.

JagXKE01.JPG

JagXKE02.JPG

JagXKE03.JPG

• Like 2

I know Duplicolor make a black primer. Having used their white primer, it sprays out quite smooth, so you don't need a ridiculous amount of sanding before applying colour.

Black primer, then your colour should give you  a nice dark green. Silver in between should brighten it up a little.

Either way, green with tan will be a nice, classic combo. 

Posted (edited)
Jaguar XK-E Coupe
I started on the 3.8 Ltr. engine and this took me about half an hour to do. I forgot that these Revell of Germany kits require painting and assembly and each part requires usually more than one color of paint. This is gonna be a long build!

JagXKE04.JPG

JagXKE05.JPG

JagXKE06.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
I decided to experiment with a can of grey lacquer primer that I had on a sprue of parts for the Jag. So far, the grey primer is blocking the red plastic. We shall see where this goes.

JagXKE07.JPG

JagXKE08.JPG

JagXKE09.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I fired up the paintbooth and did some paintin' today! The interior and the body was painted today and they both look good! Maybe this will come out better than my '21 Charger R/T did.

JagXKE10.JPG

JagXKE11.JPG

JagXKE12.JPG

• Like 1

I got the 3.8 Litre Straight Six Engine wired. I started on painting some of the many parts that require more than one color of paint. This is going to take a while!

JagXKE13.JPG

JagXKE14.JPG

JagXKE15.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Carl!

I did some work on the Jag XK-E this afternoon. I installed the rear axle and suspension uprights. Then I installed the drive shaft and the engine. Some time ago, I ordered some parts due to a short shot or lack of a formed part and I received them fairly quickly. I noticed that the torsion bars (I think that's what they are) seemed to have suffered the same thing. I'll either leave them as is or maybe replace them with a similar size sprue.

JagXKE16.JPG

JagXKE17.JPG

JagXKE18.JPG

• Like 1

I wish you much luck with yours!

I worked on the Jag Coupe today and in the hour I had, I got some done. Firewall is in, steering is done, much painting is done, rear suspension is complete and the exhaust system is on.

JagXKE19.JPG

JagXKE20.JPG

JagXKE21.JPG

• Like 1