Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Mille Miglia Mercedes Benz 300SLR #658

Hi Pierre,

great work from your capable hands and another nice model of an iconic car. I really like the overall grade of weathering you applied, it's only on the rear side (beside and behind the "roll bar") that it looks to me like the weathering is "draining down" a bit. I think maybe that there it's a tad too much. And it could be more realistic to cut the number decals that are on the door panels. 

But these are small things, great work, nevertheless!

3 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Hi Pierre,

great work from your capable hands and another nice model of an iconic car. I really like the overall grade of weathering you applied, it's only on the rear side (beside and behind the "roll bar") that it looks to me like the weathering is "draining down" a bit. I think maybe that there it's a tad too much. And it could be more realistic to cut the number decals that are on the door panels. 

But these are small things, great work, nevertheless!

Thank you Tommy, your input is much appreciated. I tried to replicate fuel that had spilled out during refueling stops...perhaps I overdid it. 

16 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thank you Tommy, your input is much appreciated. I tried to replicate fuel that had spilled out during refueling stops...perhaps I overdid it. 

No, I don't believe you did overdo it. It looks exactly like fuel spillage that mixed with dirt could have caused that effect. In other words, great build and I'm looking forward to your next one, and by the way has it already started, and I missed the boat?

20 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Hi Pierre,

this feedback offers a new perspective. I did not consider the "fuel spilling" option, but it certainly makes sense. So let's agree on the pit staff "overdoing" the refuelling process! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 8:38 AM, MarkJ said:

No, I don't believe you did overdo it. It looks exactly like fuel spillage that mixed with dirt could have caused that effect. In other words, great build and I'm looking forward to your next one, and by the way has it already started, and I missed the boat?

Thank you Mark. I have seen end of race pictures of these cars showing the grimy fuel spillage as you described and that is the look I tried to replicate. Yes I am slowly working on a pair of Porsches, strictly OOB (what a nice change) so no work in progress for that.

On 4/29/2024 at 8:43 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

Thank you Chris

12 hours ago, Brudda said:

Pierre, this is fantastic. Great job. Cool subject and your weathering is super. Good job sir!

Thank you Bruce. I too think it is a cool subject for the few of us interested in 1950's road/endurance racing.

No wip on oob?  Thats fine for experienced builders, but new guys to modeling would probably be very interested with a wip on oob from a master builder like yourself.  Anyhoo, I will be waiting with anticipation for final pics on the two Porsches. I have a Porsche in my future believe it or not. I found a book on it with valuable ref pics at a "Half Price Book Store" which, after perusing it, I have found that its basically pure stock, except for a simple hoop roll bar added behind the seats as the only protection for the driver. And some velocity stacks for the carbs. The tires and wheels are different as well, but I think I can make some of those. Oh yes, and I will have to fashion a whale tail spoiler and some rear fender extensions for the fat tires. First, I'm going back to Nascar for an oob on a 1972 Monte Carlo. I even bought decals for it. It's another one of my holy grails I want to build. But, for as long as my current build is taking, that might be a year from now.