Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 GTX

fatkidd

this is one i've been working on here and there when time allows. it started off as a revell 71 plymouth gtx kit. i painted it PPG bahama yellow (looks like butterscotch to me), cleared it with Nason Select Clear, and then masked it off and created the vinyl top, and then jumped in with both feet and used BMF for the first time. i'm building this one for a friend of mine that has the car in 1:1. i will be doing a how to explaining how i did the "vinyl". hope you all enjoy it and feel free to critique/comment.

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

looks great!!

If I remember correctly, Bahama Yellow and Butterscotch are the same, just different names for different manufacturers.

kinda like In Violet for Plymouth and Plum Crazy for Dodge...

Really?

the things you learn here.

Looks like you jumped in with both feet, Running..

Don't think I've seen one with a Vinyl top before.

Great looking GTX..

Yeah, I know. But the question is, why different fronts and rears? Shouldn't they both be the same??? :lol:

you are quite correct harry. they should be the same. however, the owner of the 1:1 decided that he just wanted the fronts done. his reasoning is that you really won't see them. and i might slightly tint the windows.

• 2 months later...
this is one i've been working on here and there when time allows. it started off as a revell 71 plymouth gtx kit. i painted it PPG bahama yellow (looks like butterscotch to me), cleared it with Nason Select Clear, and then masked it off and created the vinyl top, and then jumped in with both feet and used BMF for the first time. i'm building this one for a friend of mine that has the car in 1:1. i will be doing a how to explaining how i did the "vinyl". hope you all enjoy it and feel free to critique/comment.

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

These were taken in late March. Was this build ever finished? If so, I'd love to see some pics of it.

looks great!!

If I remember correctly, Bahama Yellow and Butterscotch are the same, just different names for different manufacturers.

kinda like In Violet for Plymouth and Plum Crazy for Dodge...

They aren't quite the same. Butterscotch is code EL5 and Bahama Yellow is EG5.

They are close though.

These were taken in late March. Was this build ever finished? If so, I'd love to see some pics of it.

yes, this model was finished. however, my external HD that had the pictures on it has decided that it no longer wants to work.

I gave the model to the owner of the 1:1 and i'm having difficulty coordinating with him so i can take more pictures.

as soon as i'm able to take more pics, i will postthem in "under glass"