Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox & Martin 1964 A/FX Mercury Comet Caliente

,,,,,,,,,I was gonna do another truck build but I've been sitting on this one for awhile so here we go (I'm sure I will change my mind when I get back from the NNL on Saturday)  If anyone else has done this build I'm open for tips/tricks ! (use the curbside Caliente body and running gear from the Fairlane)

soxcomet1.jpeg

• Like 6

Ooo a mercury, awesome build idea. You could consider using the moebius dyno don 65 comet chassis also, it would be more correct. But the t bolt chassis would do just fine as well.

P.s. Please stay on this build, it's a very interesting subject.

Edited by FoMoCo66
  • Like 1

You can see my build on Altered Wheelbase Fun of the '64 A/FX Comet I built.  I used the Thunderbolt chassis, engine, etc and it turned out nice.  The notable exception is a slight wheelbase difference.  Otherwise, everything works nicely.  I hadn't thought of the Moebius option.  That is an interesting thought.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Altered Ego said:

You can see my build on Altered Wheelbase Fun of the '64 A/FX Comet I built.  I used the Thunderbolt chassis, engine, etc and it turned out nice.  The notable exception is a slight wheelbase difference.  Otherwise, everything works nicely.  I hadn't thought of the Moebius option.  That is an interesting thought.

Thanks Jeff ,,maybe I'll try and get a Moebius kit just for the heck of it 

1 hour ago, Scott Eriksen said:

Thanks Jeff ,,maybe I'll try and get a Moebius kit just for the heck of it 

Yeah even if you don't use it on this you can just have it in "the great stock pile of KITS kits kits". I wish I had picked one up when they were new but sadly I was out of the hobby then, but now they are just so darn expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Yeah even if you don't use it on this you can just have it in "the great stock pile of KITS kits kits". I wish I had picked one up when they were new but sadly I was out of the hobby then, but now they are just so darn expensive.

I found one on Ebay 50 bucks shipped,,,I'll check for one at the NNL tomorrow

• Like 1

Went to the NNL today...I posted a bunch of pics for you guys,,,anyway I missed or didn't see any Dyno Don kits so I got the one on ebay,,,,did some work on it when I got back,,,cut the hood out ,the Fairlane hood is close but the front leading edge is shaped different then the Comet ,,,so I found a teardrop resin one for 5 on ebay ,,,didn't think to look at the NNL.

soxcomet6.jpeg

• Like 2

Scott this is a great project theses are the same kits i bashed together for these comet builds. I hope these pics help you out . I got the resin hood from SMH hobbies. Unfortunately the Howard wheels are modelhaus and are no longer available, and I don’t know any other makers. The exhaust dump pipes are in the amt 62 belair super stock kit . It’s been awhile since I built this and the moebius comet wasn’t available then. I used the amt interior, but the moebius interior tub might be a better option. IMG_0243.thumb.jpeg.1e7b8a1c439ae6aaba71e7c4b2537a39.jpegIMG_0245.thumb.jpeg.9bfd65ceed5e25f8287446c2e6fa0df9.jpegIMG_0240.thumb.jpeg.7210406c1f21bb2123aea59cedc7b315.jpegIMG_0247.thumb.jpeg.bdff3894f8c5ec2411fad8e2a832c24b.jpegIMG_0246.thumb.jpeg.1e913ff5fac0100c8f892dba56c67df2.jpeg

• Like 5