Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Grandpa Special' Challenger

Good evening, this is my first post on the forum. I want to build a 73/74 Challenger. This was the last of the first generation and is forgotten (some say that's a good thing) either way they're still meat to me. The car I wanna do is what I'd call the 'Grandpa Special.' You can see what I mean by that with the green car pictured in the Dodge brochure. I plan on using the ARII kit to start with, it seems very toyish so I'm wondering if there is a better way (it has to be cheap, I'm a broke college student) I also need a source for a 318 LA and the hubcaps seen on this car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.jpg

I think the ARII kit is 1/24th scale, so you might be able to combine it with the Revell Monogram 1970 Challenger to get close to what you're hoping to achieve. The Revell kit has a pretty nice chassis, but comes with a Hemi, if I remember. Anyway, the kit is cheap and easy to find. As for the 318 engine, I guess you could use one from one of the AMT or MPC mid 70s kits.

There are been some buildups on this site.

An economy build of a decent '72-'74 Challenger will be tough. Both Lindberg and Arii/Otaki have produced '72 Challenger kits, and both are equally dismal. Poorly detailed and poorly proportioned, and on ebay both are going for entirely too much money given the poor quality of these kits. Of the two, the Arii is probably the better kit (proportion wise), though is 1/24, has no engine or chassis detail and an interior best left forgotten, and may actually be scaled a bit large. MPC annual kits are nicely done, but rare and going for stupid money. Your best bet may be to peruse ebay for a junk MPC rebuilder to start with, though if the seller knows what he has, there still may be some cost involved. Everyone has their own standards, but personally, I would avoid the Lindberg and Arii offerings.  The suggestion above to use a Monogram Challenger for the hardware for an Arii kit is a good one. It is a 1/24 scale kit.

For the engine, you can start with most any stock Mopar small block, though air cleaners and exhaust manifolds etc may have to be changed to suite. There is a good engine in the AMT '71 Duster (1/25), and maybe in one of the Monogram Challengers (1/24). As for the wheel covers, I have no idea. They would have to come from the aftermarket.

17 minutes ago, Bainford said:

An economy build of a decent '72-'74 Challenger will be tough. Both Lindberg and Arii/Otaki have produced '72 Challenger kits, and both are equally dismal. Poorly detailed and poorly proportioned, and on ebay both are going for entirely too much money given the poor quality of these kits. Of the two, the Arii is probably the better kit (proportion wise), though is 1/24, has no engine or chassis detail and an interior best left forgotten, and may actually be scaled a bit large. MPC annual kits are nicely done, but rare and going for stupid money. Your best bet may be to peruse ebay for a junk MPC rebuilder to start with, though if the seller knows what he has, there still may be some cost involved. Everyone has their own standards, but personally, I would avoid the Lindberg and Arii offerings.  The suggestion above to use a Monogram Challenger for the hardware for an Arii kit is a good one. It is a 1/24 scale kit.

For the engine, you can start with most any stock Mopar small block, though air cleaners and exhaust manifolds etc may have to be changed to suite. There is a good engine in the AMT '71 Duster (1/25), and maybe in one of the Monogram Challengers (1/24). As for the wheel covers, I have no idea. They would have to come from the aftermarket.

The Lindberg [originally Palmer/PSM] is actually copied from the MPC kit and the body is pretty nice. Just as accurate as the MPC except the tail lights and headlights look a bit small.

The look pretty good when built up. 

Maybe your confusing them with the multi-piece body cheap kits, Trevor? ,, Not the same at all.

Edited by Can-Con

3 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

The Lindberg [originally Palmer/PSM] is actually copied from the MPC kit and the body is pretty nice. Just as accurate as the MPC except the tail lights and headlights look a bit small.

The look pretty good when built up. 

Maybe your confusing them with the multi-piece body cheap kits, Trevor? ,, Not the same at all.

Cheers Steve. My comments stem from a build I saw quite a number of years ago, and a check of google images which seemed to confirm my early thoughts. The tail lights was one of my sticking points. However, not having one to verify, I bow to your assessment. Thanks for the correction.

Posted (edited)

Sounds like a combination of the Lindberg kit, and maybe a Revell 'Cuda chassis could get a good result. I just got done emailing Charles at Texas 3D Customs, and he says that a Chrysler small block is in the works for this year. Still need a source for the wheel covers. I'm not sure of the body changes from '72 to '73, but I'll do some research.

P.S. awesome forum, I'm on 3 or 4 different forums for all of my hobbies, and this one is the best.

Edited by Mrchickenstrips
Misspoke on which kit

I would also say the Lindberg body and interior are comparable to MPC kits with the following exceptions:

* Super nasty hood shaker thing. Harts Parts has a nice twin scoop hood for this kit.

* Caricature of the front fender side trim. Just sand it off.

* Oversize/oddly shaped taillights. You can live with these or get a trans-kit from Harts Parts.

In general, the body lines and proportions are good. The attached picture is a PSM 71 Challenger. The Lindberg kit is a modified version of this kit.

The engine and chassis kind suck but it you are building a shelf model they will work. If you would like a better chassis the AMT 70 Challenger is a good source.

Palmer 71 Challenger 2.jpg

On 4/26/2024 at 8:34 PM, Mrchickenstrips said:

Good evening, this is my first post on the forum. I want to build a 73/74 Challenger. This was the last of the first generation and is forgotten (some say that's a good thing) either way they're still meat to me. The car I wanna do is what I'd call the 'Grandpa Special.' You can see what I mean by that with the green car pictured in the Dodge brochure. I plan on using the ARII kit to start with, it seems very toyish so I'm wondering if there is a better way (it has to be cheap, I'm a broke college student) I also need a source for a 318 LA and the hubcaps seen on this car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.jpg

Grand Ma's C

Edited by Mike 1017
wrong word
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:34 PM, Mrchickenstrips said:

2.jpg

Grand Ma's Challenger

Slant-Six Sweetheart - 1970 Dodge Challenger | Hemmings

Enjoy

Mike

Posted (edited)

So here is an update for you all. My plan is to use the AMT '70 Challenger as a base. Harts Parts has a conversion kit for the '73 model. Many thanks to John Sharisky who supplied me a resin set of wheel covers. I hope to start this project in the fall to build when fall semester classes start. Thank you to everyone who gave me ideas on how to replicate what is, in all honesty, a forgotten car.

Edited by Mrchickenstrips