Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Mazda RX-7 FD3S 1:24 Scale

Spoon test, this is Zero Grey primer, with Zero Black base & a light coating of Proscale Aston Martin Blue, finished with a coating of Zero 1K thinnned with Mr Color levelling thinner.

Looks a bit like Midnight Purple - but in blue...

sk61MgiG_o.jpg

Interior was simple and easy to put together. I was tempted to put in some belts, but decided to get this completed quickly rather than faff with that.

The Chasis was also simple to put together, just waiting for wheels

fNwSfupX_o.jpg

dLC4x0P0_o.jpg

This has had a coat of Zero Grey Primer

A coat of thinned Zero Black (it was called gloss black, but these lacquer base coats always turn out in a satin finish

then masked the black bits and coated in Aston Martin Blue - the same proscale paint used on my Mazda Mx5 - It was difficult to get an even coating, so i probably applied too much & coated the black too thick. But its good enough for me, I waan't going to go over it again...

then applied decals - added a few additional decals to fill the gaps.

I did use Microsol, and that left stains, when I cleaned the car for top coating, the decals came loose, so had to try to re-stick with microsol... eventually coated in Proscale 2k - this time I did add a little Mr Color self levelling thinner.

The result as seen is not as deep a colour as the spoon test, but a darker blue than the MX5, the gloss top coat is orange peely, and has a few pits, but minimal dust - which is a bonus - I was woried about sanding / polishing the paint with the decal underneath. 

Next up is polishing....

4N5d5wF8_o.jpg

VvWJ0kcT_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/a4/89/r3yiF4lg_o.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

It's coming together nicely Atin, the way it's turned out slightly darker looks good to me. Polishing should be a fairly minimal exercise?

Thanks Nigel, im worried about going through the clear coat where the decals are,  but should be minimal!