Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Impala - "I just love tuck 'n roll."

While sourcing parts for another project and waiting for paint to cure on others, I dug up this older build.

After emptying out my Evergreen half round plastic supply and gluing in the individual pleats (two hundred and forty-three pieces total)  , I had to set this build aside.

Picking it back up.

The second picture shows the stock kit interior and also the interior after tuck and roll pleats were applied.

impala 10.jpg

58 Tuck n Roll.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 4

• SpeedShift changed the title to '58 Impala - "I just love tuck 'n roll."
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

So this will be the american graffiti 58 right? If not the tuck and roll looks amazing! If so, I have built 1 contrition to my american graffiti collection. It's John's 32.20240124_160636.jpg.bac842ed49970169ed2fa18d60fd80f3.jpg

Yes, one of several American Graffiti builds.

BTW, Nice job on your Milner '32., looks great.

I'll get to a '32 eventually, chopped the roof and added bobbed fenders to the body shell on a 5 window

I also started the modifications to a '49 merc to make it a '51 "Pharoahs" Merc.

Looking to finish this '58 impala first.

32 Choped deuce A.jpg

DSCN4998.jpg

51 Merc  vs 49 Merc.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Nice work on all those. Eventually I want to do all 5 cars. The 55 chevy, the 57 tbird, the Pharoah's custom merc, the 58 chevy, and I've already done the 32 (rear tires are not correct)

Thanks, I'd like to do those five and a couple of others I liked that had brief appearances...the custom painted Tom Hoker '40 Ford coupe and the black '39 Ford.

Tom-Hocker-1940-Ford-10.jpg

• Like 1

Great start on that Graffiti '58 Impala. If anyone can pull it off...you can. I tried that Evergreen half round strip detail on my " Ventures" T Bucket interior...that miniscule amount was challenge enough.

16 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

So this will be the american graffiti 58 right? If not the tuck and roll looks amazing! If so, I have built 1 contrition to my american graffiti collection. It's John's 32.20240124_160636.jpg.bac842ed49970169ed2fa18d60fd80f3.jpg

Thats the one.  : ) 

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 2:16 PM, customline said:

Let's not forget that '56 Desoto that belonged to some friend of the Pharohs that whats-his-name "scratched" while leaning on it.....

IMG_0050.jpg.3b8357e9aba8b9813784c25b0839c1fb.jpg

Well, actually,  this one was mine 😄

Just what I need, another nice car to model.

Nice job on that car.

Did you put a scratch on it? Not a big one needed, as "it's ain't the size here..... its the principle" LOL

"that '56 Desoto that belonged to some friend of the Pharohs that whats-his-name "scratched" while leaning on it....."

The infamous "you scratched Gil Gonzale's car" scene...the look on Ants face at 2:23 is funny as hell.

Every time I watch AG I notice another cool car, the one I can't figure out is the pickup at Mels diner that has a drag chute on the tailgate....its also at 1:20 in this vid.

Edited by SpeedShift

8 minutes ago, SpeedShift said:

Just what I need, another nice car to ....

My "Gray Ghost" is a combination of the Moebius '56 Chrysler 300C and a promo I paid $70 for just to create a tribute to my favorite ride back in the '70s. Unfortunately,  some stoner rear-ended me at a red light and that was the end of that one.

Edited by customline

4 minutes ago, customline said:

My "Gray Ghost" is a combination of the Moebius '56 Chrysler 300C and a promo I paid $70 for just to create a tribute to my favorite ride back in the '70s. Unfortunately,  some stoner rear-ended me at a red light and that was the end of that one.

That's a real bummer.

Happens more often with distracting smart phones....I got rear ended last year in my Avalon special edition...the repair cost got it totaled by his insurance co.

1 hour ago, customline said:

Let's not forget that '56 Desoto that belonged to some friend of the Pharohs that whats-his-name "scratched" while leaning on it.....

IMG_0050.jpg.3b8357e9aba8b9813784c25b0839c1fb.jpg

Well, actually,  this one was mine 😄

Well you know the consequences "Tie him to the car and drag him".

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

While we're on the brief subject of the Pharoahs....Shuichi Sakamoto , a modeler in Japan, created some 1/25th scale Pharaohs figures to go with his American Graffiti car builds.

The likeness of each was really incredible.

Does anyone recall what modeling magazine featured his figures? Did an internet search, only found 1999 Fine Scale Modeler (November vol.17 #9) that featured his '32 Deuce Milner hot rod build.

image.png.0dac96e3e7a2d41348aa58994ca2bc3a.png

shu_model_04.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift

Posted (edited)

Some more work on the interior.

I see some clean up on paint edges is necessary.

I'll post some reference pictures soon, the details on the real movie car are interesting...like the carpeting in front of the interior.

58 impala interior 1.jpg

58 impala interior 2.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

My first experience with MCW enamel, after years of Tamiya rattle can (very good paint) and Testor's enamel airbrushed using lacquer thinner per the Don Yost method.

I like this MCW paint, thinned with lacquer thinner and added a drop of their hardener - it airbrushes nicely.

With hardener, it tacks up quick, so the chance of attracting dust is lessened.

After shaving off door handles and other trim - applied two mist coats over airbrushed Tamiya white surface primer, then wet sanded.

Dried three days. Then light wet sanding.

First wet coat just applied.

The sheen isn't quite as glossy on this first wet coat as Testors enamel w/ lacquer thinner (that method gets a real shiny finish - but stays tacky longer, attracting dust).

This MCW doesn't orange peel as much either.

Should polish out real nice.

58 impala body MCW.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 1

I think I have a use for that old pack of bare metal foil. Check out the carpeting.

Read somewhere Geoge Lucas and film crew used that reflective carpet it to get uplighting on the film actors. ?

Didn't see that carpeting on the Milner '32 coupe ........and that interior is darker.....all black.

americangrafitti013.jpg.8f36a1bc4c72cdfb4b0484610fecde0c.jpg

1 hour ago, SpeedShift said:

Some more work on the interior.

I see some clean up on paint edges is necessary.

I'll post some reference pictures soon, the details on the real movie car are interesting...like the carpeting in front of the interior.

58 impala interior 1.jpg

58 impala interior 2.jpg

That intirior looks like it came from a kit. Nice job!