Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Red 1963 Galaxie 4 door

Hi, Thanks for your interest in my recent posts.

Here is another Galaxie, this time with four doors. I built this along side the light weight version but the final assembly took extra time as it started to fight me a bit.

Over ten years ago I grafted the roof from a Revell Thunderbolt kit onto AMT's Galaxie body. I also made the Starliner chassis fit and started work on the interior, Then I lost interest and the project stalled. I restarted again last year and after many battles I have finally finished it. I made 3d printed interior door panels and the rear seat is reworked from the Starliner kit item. I rejected the original Galaxie kit front seats as they were too small for the spacious interior space that the Starliner chassis conversion provides. So the rear seats from the Galaxie kit were cut up and rebuilt with Apoxie sculpt and evergreen strips, This allowed me to have wider front seats that took up more space. It was worth the effort. I also modified the engine bay sides to fill out the engine bay a bit more. I wasn't intending on going crazy with the engine detail so it was just a case of adding plug wires from fishing line that were blacked out with a sharpie. I totally forgot that it needed a battery until it was too late so I couldn't add wires because the engine was already installed. The car had it's headlights taped over in a simple attempt at aerodynamic streamlining and I replicated that with more Apoxie sculpt. The white walls were painted as well.
xKgV21.jpg
IQANgm.jpg
JnHLHb.jpg
8LIhat.jpg
EiUf7A.jpg
ppBNGT.jpg
soh8F8.jpg
uGUuVl.jpg
AaA4ZF.jpg
gwS7CC.jpg
TqP6Kg.jpg

The chrome was redone with SMS Hyperchrome for the bumpers and mirrors and copious amounts of BMF and I added the 427 Bird badge and the C pillar crest from the MCG Thunderbolt PE set.

I don't know a great deal about the car itself but I do know that it was owned by wealthy businessman Len Lukey and he imported it into Australia with some Holman and Moody tweaks and it was raced by both Norm Beechey and Lex Davison (grand father of Supercars driver Wil Davison) many times on circuits around Australia. The car was raced in historic races in the 1980's and still exists in that form.

Obviously I've done a fair bit of work on it so if you have some questions please don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers
ShawnS

• Like 10

When I first looked at the body of your build, I kept trying to think of any company that had offered a Galaxie sedan kit. The body lines and chrome trim all look in proportion and correct. The interior is done in the same fashion and looks very realistically done. Then with the information on the original car that in its self-interesting as well.  

Some excellent conversion work Shawn! 

Back in the day Lukey 'sports' exhausts were all the rage. I fitted a 2'' system complete with 'sports' muffler to my 64 Holden hoping for some great performance boost. There wasn't.

11 hours ago, espo said:

When I first looked at the body of your build, I kept trying to think of any company that had offered a Galaxie sedan kit. The body lines and chrome trim all look in proportion and correct. The interior is done in the same fashion and looks very realistically done. Then with the information on the original car that in its self-interesting as well.  

Thanks, The trim on the body is exactly as AMT made it as the body didn't need any mods other than to scribe the door lines. When I decided to take on the project I did some research on the wheelbase measurements and I realised that I didn't need to make the body longer I just needed to make the front doors shorter and throw a roof on it.

Thanks everyone.

• Thanks 1