Model Cars Magazine Forum

fat man steering wheels

The "fat man" steering wheel is an early variation on a tilt wheel.  You could reposition the wheel off-center so that an overweight person could sit in the drivers' seat without having the lower part of the wheels rim squeezing him.  The earliest ones were aftermarket items, but there were factory accessory ones later on.  Some of the lowrider guys like to add as many of the accessories as they can find--but only the factory ones, not generic aftermarket stuff.

There aren't any available in kits that I'm aware of, but some of the lowrider model builders are all-in on 3D print items.  Something ought to turn up there.

thanks for the help folks. Carl, these are fat man steering wheels. they slide or hinge on the centre to make space. they might have another name but i've only heard them called fat mans

238187-1536072945-3330346.JPG

6602704941_579b2e108a_b.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

I don't know if the last one pictured can be moved off-center to the steering column, but it does have the "spinner" off to the left.  The driver could grab that small handle and turn the wheel like a crank.  My older brother bought one of those to flip on eBay about fifteen years ago.  It was a GM accessory for a '40 or '41 Chevy.  It needed a complete restoration but was all there; a lowrider guy paid around $1,000 for it nevertheless.