Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A 4 banger tuning parts

Posted (edited)

Are any tuning parts available for the model a 4 bangers? or am i better to use a flathead v8? I think the icm phaeton is next on the bench and I'd like to do a mild hotrod using as much of the kit as possible. I figure building it will give me better comparison pics too

Edited by stitchdup

• stitchdup changed the title to Model A 4 banger tuning parts

I did a hopped up 4 banger a while back and made a ohv conversion head and made a intake from some scraps. I did a Rajo head because it's a super simple shape, just a rectangle with sheet plastic cut into the shapes of the intake and exhaust flanges. The valve cover is for a Ford 2.3, it just happened  to be the right size and shapes. I looked a bunch of early speed parts until found a few things simple enough I could reproduce them.

20220815_192354.jpg.8849ca5fb46563390160d0ae3e1d4d1f.jpg

• Like 2

I knocked this together a wee while back. It is a Cragar OHV conversion. I milled the rocker cover but a plain one could be easily cobbled together. It is mostly larger sizes of plastic shaped up by hand. The bolt heads are round rod glued into holes drilled into the head. The manifold and tappet cover are from the Revell Model A pickup kit as is the base engine

image.thumb.jpeg.9fc53d32cdb60ad136aa9ec1c3e203be.jpeg

According to an article written by Tim Boyd, on scale Bangers, the Revell Model A's and the AMT 29 Model A Roadster are the only kit based Banger Engines in Plastic. The OHC Head in the AMT kit is a Vintage Pre WWII  Hop Up piece, and the Parts from the Two Revell Kits are more Post WWII, (1950's) THe AMT parts are simple, and there are only 3 of them, Head, Twin Carbs, and a Racing Style exhaust pipe. The Revell parts are better detailed and there are a few more of them.

I hope these images help.

Revell737131ModelADelivery4-vi.jpg.64a7dfee81fbe17936996c6b54a7070d.jpg

AMT1929FordModelATS6-vi.jpg.0f7424eaf43bb01aa7fd97445c7b9fc8.jpg