Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting a new project and I would like some thoughts on a grille.  I am mating the chopped model T coupe body from the double T kit to the fenders from an original Ala Kart. Then it is going on the model A frame with the hopped-up model A four from the Ala Kart/ model A double kit.  likely a dropped front axel and banjo rear (although I do have a quick change center section as a possibility). I have model T, 29 Model A, '32 Ford grille (thinking tweedy pie type cut down), 29 pick-up track nose, or tractor grille (generic using the 55 Chevy pick-up fender trick).  Maybe cobble something from left over 40 or 36 Ford kit front end parts?

Your thoughts or other ideas are appreciated.

I think it needs to be chopped down about the same amount as the roof. That would leave either the T or the chopped grill from Tweedy Pie if you're going hoodless. What about a variation where you merged the tractor grill into the hood for a tilt forward piece with a fairly open view of the engine from the sides? Something like this but with the sides cut open?

https://www.motortrend.com/features/the-strange-and-wonderful-saga-of-a-fiberglass-model-t-replica-getting-turned-into-real-ford-ambr-contender/?ssp_iabi=1677714023593

Posted (edited)

Because I build real cars, one of my considerations when I choose a grille treatment for a model is whether it can hold enough radiator to cool whatever engine I'm using, and if not, where can I hide an auxiliary.

Some cars with tiny T shells and big honkin' engines have to run radiators hidden in the tail or between the frame rails under the car (with electric cooling fans) if you want to drive them any farther than on and off the trailer.

Just a thought...

image.png.3a0fa8215fdf7b1ecc4f3d48bc05223e.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Posted (edited)

What Ace said was my exact thought.

Also there are custom extra thick radiators used for this cut down shell idea, small in square inch foot print but thick for extra rows of tubes, sold by some of the aftermarket kit car companies in 1/1. If not mistaken, they're about 4-5" thick. Use your imagination on how to fabricate that appearance, maybe ?

Edited by Dave G.

Thanks for the input. Since I'm going '60's show car with a four cylinder with Riley conversion, not a driver, I don't think I have to worry about real world functionality.  Some of those cars were not drivable anyway. I think it will be a chopped '32 shell with the custom inert from the '34 pick-up after playing around a bit last night.