Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 AMT Roadrunner to 68 GTX conversion

This will be my project for the next month or 2 depending upon outdoor activities and the weather!  ... AMT 68 Roadrunner conversion to 68 GTX with 3D rear trunk lid and finish panel, GTX grill and GTX interior from Shapeways,,,try and build it like my 1st car ,,,,,that's me on the way to the Prom ,,,68 GTX,, 440 /Auto with a 6 pack I bought used,,Hooker headers,,Ansen Sprint wheels triple green car! image.png.5ce36920740cde7bbf946513c7a3a3bc.png

68gtx1.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I nailed the rear trunk lid and tailpanel in and fitted the front for the grill and shot some primer on it,,,after I cut the lawn today,it fit pretty good considering ,,,I was going to make the trunk open but the thing is too fragile,,I'll post some pics tomorrow

Edited by Scott Eriksen

9 hours ago, drodg said:

Good luck with this and I believe Keith Marks has the decals for the 68 GTX also.  

I haven't been able to get anything from Keith Marks ,,,I got some stripes from STS and photo etch from MCG for a 71 that I'll use for the side GTX emblems

............some pics,,,has to be wet sanded yet and another round of primer.The front grill I just stuck in there to check for fitment,,,I had to file the inner part of the fenders to fit it,,the 3D grill should have been more rounded on the headlight surrounds ,,not much I could do there but get it to fit the body

68gtx2.jpeg

68gtx3.jpeg

68gtx4.jpeg

• Like 2

68 Road Runner to 68 GTX conversion update > body shot with MCW 6753E Dark Green Metallic enamel with hardener (this is a match for 68 Plymouth GG1 Dark Green Metallic) .I was going to use MCG Vinyl Top Tape kit (which is only available in black or white ) but instead chose to go with MCW 1350 Black Texture Lacquer after applying Evergreen #101 styrene strips for the seams. After that had dried I shot it with MCW 6851 Dark Green Metallic lacquer which is a darn close match to the dark green vinyl top option that was on my car. I also sub assembled the inner fenders/core support/firewall and lower K frame (which will be painted black along with the torsion bars and shot that body color with overspray. Sub-assembled the 440 and shot that with MCW 1406E Chrysler Turquoise enamel . Next up will be painting the interior green with light and dark green seats ,then BMF the body and paint tail light panel insert Argent Silver . I'm also going to use the 8-3/4 rear from the AMT Duster kit instead of the Dana 60 ,,I'll have to narrow the 8-3/4 a bit.  image.png.60f7ac64f1fcfc62a851998aaac0c4d6.png

68gtx6.jpeg

68gtx7.jpeg

68gtx8.jpeg

• Like 2