Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 Ford Fordor

Bernard Kron

I need another project like a hole in the head... We all know the drill! :blink:

But anyway, last month attending a local model car show, I bought a backup AMT 40 Ford Fordor Sedan kit for a radical custom I'm planning for later this summer. Since I'll be sectioning and chopping the body I figure keeping a couple of extra bodies around wouldn't hurt. When I opened the box I noticed a second body shell so for $10.00 I was in! ;) Later, showing my find to Fletch and Dave Nelson (racer13) they pointed out that the second shell was the R 'n' D Unique resin Fordor. Hmmmm... mixed feelings. :huh:

The other night I decided to mock the Fordor up. Turns out it's got bags of personality. So I've decided to slam it, mount the kit Olds V8 with tri-carbs, run flippers and whitewalls and DeSoto bumpers. Today I test shot some Duplicolor Metalcast Purple over Sunburst Gold Metallic. Viola! Instant Candy Orchid! :lol: Below are some pics of the test shot and the initial mockup after lowering the front and rear suspension. This will be a quick build, I hope, since I need one as a break from some other not-so-quick builds.

What do you think?

Colors-web.jpg

DSCF6759-web.jpg

DSCF6766-web.jpg

Edited by gbk1

Bernard,

What's one more project amongst friends? B)

That is one bright color on a pretty big car!! A little BMF along the beltline molding will help breakup the color and tie together with the chrome at the same time.

Looks like a WINNER!!

Later,

B) I was wonderin' what you was up to B! Nice li'l projeck.......very nice in fact. Love the mockup-- the two tone colours :blink: . Normally I'd go with what DaveZinn said 'bout droppin' the tail, but I really likes the nose draggin' stance dat you got goin' on. You are the 'stance-miester' afterall ;)

oh yeah, love them wrinkly windows :lol:

Lyle Willits posted the following warning to me on the TRaK board, for which I will be forever grateful... Thanx for the hedz up, Lyle. The voice of experience...

Regarding Metalcast paint,,,,,,,,,,IT'S A TINT, not an acrylic lacquer. If you try to clear coat over it, it will dissolve and turn into a sloppy mess. Also you can NOT polish it out. It will come right off.

Duplicolor METALSPECKS is paint.

Duplicolor MetalCAST is a tint, meant for "anodizing" metal.

Uh,,,,,,,,I learned all this the hard way. :D

"Sloppy mess" indeed. Here's yesterday's test shot with a coat of Duplicolor Clear:

Click on picture for larger image if you dare! :lol:

th_Colors2-web.jpg

Hmmm... what to do? Spray the tint over a polished out base gold and go without clear?

Are you feelin' lucky, punk? :lol:

Edited by gbk1

We have paint! Thanx to Lyle's warning and Steve's comments, as well as the encouraging news from a couple of other posters on the TRaK board that they had successfully cleared Metalcast, I went ahead and test shot Duplicolor clear over Metalcast this afternoon. Conditions were ideal, sunny, windless and about 80 degrees F. I shot outside. Duplicolor light grey Primer Sealer, followed by Duplicolor Sunburst Gold Metallic. Then, Duplicolor Metalcast purple and finally Duplicolor Clear. One coat each. 30 minutes setup time for the primer and gold base in hot direct sunlight (probably equivalent to a 105 degree dehydrator I’m guessing), then 5, 10 and 50 minute setup time for the Metalcast and finally the Clear. As you can see there’s absolutely no difference among the three and they all came out great. However, I should point out that in all three cases the Metalcast was far from cured. If you dragged your finger across it, it was still soft. So Steve’s suggestion is right on, it’s just a bit more tolerant on a time basis. Also, the primer on yesterday’s test shot which crazed was Duplicolor white Sandable Primer, fully cured. Perhaps the Primer Sealer provides a more tolerant base, I don’t know. It seems unlikely to me…

In any case I have a system that works! Spraying Duplicolor Clear over Metalcast while the Metalcast is relatively uncured, as Steve suggested, works just fine. Next step is to tempt the paint gods and shoot the fenders because I have extras if I screw up. If that goes well, then it’s time for the resin body which is a one of a kind… Here’s the test pic:

Colors3-web.jpg

I’ve received several comments suggesting I lower the back end tail-dragger style. I did think it had a bit too much rake but I like the nose-the in-the-weeds look so I took another 1-2 scale inches out of the rear ride height. This is pretty much the maximum you can do without deleting the rear suspension entirely or z-ing the frame, neither of which I am inclined to do (it’s supposed to be a quick build). The mild forward leaning rake I’ve got now is, to my eyes, very attractive since it “sells†the humpback silhouette. I’ll save a tail dragger stance for a coupe body. In any case, now the wheel rim has disappeared so I guess I have an extra set a flipper caps! I also cleaned up the window frames and prepped the body and fenders for paint and glued the skirts and grille surround in place. I also got the engine parts painted and ready for assembly. Maybe this’ll be a quick build after all. Of course, tomorrow is the most dangerous day – PAINT!!!! Here’s a pic of the modified stance:

DSCF6775-web.jpg

Thanx for all the help, guys!

Edited by gbk1

Great looking mock. Paint will be sweet iffuns you keep the color you chose. Hate to be a peckerwood, but I kinda like the nose down look with a body that looks that long with a roof that high. Feel brave? Chop it and then the tail-drag would look good. Hate me or not.

Great looking mock. Paint will be sweet iffuns you keep the color you chose. Hate to be a peckerwood, but I kinda like the nose down look with a body that looks that long with a roof that high. Feel brave? Chop it and then the tail-drag would look good. Hate me or not.

Thanx Andy. :)

Actually it still doesn't have a tail-dragger stance. The nose is quite a bit lower than the tail, just not as exaggerated as before. Once I put the bumpers on it will be more obvious.

Sorry, no chop this time. This is a quick build. I've got two '49 Fords to get back to. I'm doing this one sweet and simple for relaxation. But fear not, I have a chopped and sectioned Tudor in the works for later this summer!

...Next step is to tempt the paint gods and shoot the fenders because I have extras if I screw up...

...Maybe this'll be a quick build after all. Of course, tomorrow is the most dangerous day – PAINT!!!...

Well i won't be painting tomorrow. :P

Well, today was paint day. All went well through the gold base coat:

DSCF6788-web.jpg

But stupidly I got impatient to try out the Metalcast and landed up violating the “many light coats†rule in my haste to get a nice rich Candy Orchid down. The paint gods then begat a nasty paint drip down the center of the hood. ;) Fortunately it’s a 40 Ford hood because I’ve got lots of AMT 40 hoods (I’m partial to the ’39 grill and headlights on the AMT Tudor).

One good thing that came out of it is that I decided to see if I could rub out the flaws and discovered that the Metalcast was far more robust than I thought it would be. From this accidental experiment I would say you can polish Metalcast just as you would any other DupliColor paint, at least if you have a fairly heavy coat on it. Tomorrow I’ll spray the fully cured Metalcast with clear just for drill and see if it crazes like the other one did the other day. If not, then the crazing may have had something to do with the primer I used (?)… Anyway, here’s a picture of the hood after I rubbed it out. As you can see the Metalcast held up just fine. Unfortunately there are spots rubbed down to the primer where I had to deal with the paint drips so I have to do the hood over regardless.

DSCF6785-web.jpg

And just to keep things moving along, here are some pics of the completed motor and chassis:

DSCF6783-web.jpg

DSCF6784-web.jpg

Thanx for lookin’.

Edited by gbk1

We have paint! Thanx to Lyle's warning and Steve's comments, as well as the encouraging news from a couple of other posters on the TRaK board that they had successfully cleared Metalcast, I went ahead and test shot Duplicolor clear over Metalcast this afternoon. Conditions were ideal, sunny, windless and about 80 degrees F. I shot outside. Duplicolor light grey Primer Sealer, followed by Duplicolor Sunburst Gold Metallic. Then, Duplicolor Metalcast purple and finally Duplicolor Clear. One coat each. 30 minutes setup time for the primer and gold base in hot direct sunlight (probably equivalent to a 105 degree dehydrator I’m guessing), then 5, 10 and 50 minute setup time for the Metalcast and finally the Clear. As you can see there’s absolutely no difference among the three and they all came out great. However, I should point out that in all three cases the Metalcast was far from cured. If you dragged your finger across it, it was still soft. So Steve’s suggestion is right on, it’s just a bit more tolerant on a time basis. Also, the primer on yesterday’s test shot which crazed was Duplicolor white Sandable Primer, fully cured. Perhaps the Primer Sealer provides a more tolerant base, I don’t know. It seems unlikely to me…

In any case I have a system that works! Spraying Duplicolor Clear over Metalcast while the Metalcast is relatively uncured, as Steve suggested, works just fine. Next step is to tempt the paint gods and shoot the fenders because I have extras if I screw up. If that goes well, then it’s time for the resin body which is a one of a kind… Here’s the test pic:

Bernard? You need to step up and get a GOOD spray booth.

Colors3-web.jpg

I’ve received several comments suggesting I lower the back end tail-dragger style. I did think it had a bit too much rake but I like the nose-the in-the-weeds look so I took another 1-2 scale inches out of the rear ride height. This is pretty much the maximum you can do without deleting the rear suspension entirely or z-ing the frame, neither of which I am inclined to do (it’s supposed to be a quick build). The mild forward leaning rake I’ve got now is, to my eyes, very attractive since it “sells†the humpback silhouette. I’ll save a tail dragger stance for a coupe body. In any case, now the wheel rim has disappeared so I guess I have an extra set a flipper caps! I also cleaned up the window frames and prepped the body and fenders for paint and glued the skirts and grille surround in place. I also got the engine parts painted and ready for assembly. Maybe this’ll be a quick build after all. Of course, tomorrow is the most dangerous day – PAINT!!!! Here’s a pic of the modified stance:

DSCF6775-web.jpg

Thanx for all the help, guys!

Hey Don! ;)

Re: "You need to step up and buy a GOOD spray booth."

Unfortunately I have nowwhere to put it. We don't have a basemment and my office/studio/hobby room couldn't tolerate even the slightest leakage of spray (lotsa computer equipment and microchips, etc.). :rolleyes:

Edited by gbk1