Model Cars Magazine Forum

Latest progress 6/01/09 on 69 El Camino 1/1

We had a great day working on the El this weekend.

Everytime we set a goal each time we work on it but, we run into problems.

Saturday was a nice everything goes OK day which was a nice surprize.

Here we got the rear tailgate moldings on

69front1-vi.jpg

We had to buy another Hurst shifter with the correct offset for the floor hump and I got all the chrome foot pedals trim installed

69front19-vi.jpg

Front clip is on including the inner fenders

69front4-vi.jpg

Hood and latches

69front10-vi.jpg

69front11-vi.jpg

Here are a few shots outside under it's own power. It's starting to look like a car again!

69front12-vi.jpg

69front14-vi.jpg

69front17-vi.jpg

enjoy!

From a fellow El Camino owner, it's really nice to see the car coming back together again, and you're doing a great job! I know the feeling, even though I haven't done a full restoration. Just the fact that you've done it yourself brings out that smile. It was almost two years ago, when I tore the intake off and replaced all the lifters, and eventually the distributor. Everything was in place and buttoned up, would it fire....? A few sprays with starting gas, and it barked into life again. Ohh yes baby, it felt good!! No ticking lifters, no leaks, perfect. Installed new plug wires, fine tuned the timing and out into the night I went for a test drive. Sweet!

Keep up the good work, Irv! We have a few things in common, El Caminos, slot cars and models. Cool, eh?

That sure is a amazing looking El Camino. Besides the 59, yours is one of my favorite body styles. I hope to see some pictures of it all buttoned and out at a carshow sometime.

I know I have been plugging away on mine getting ready for the GM show in Carlisle, PA. Any chance you are going to attend if finished?

Edited by VictorSmalls