Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Oly Bronco Racer WIP

coopdad

Gang, I thought I would start posting the WIP I am in the process of building. Read on and find out why this is going to take a while.

I have always loved Broncos and racing so I thought I would combine both in one: "Big Oly." It was one of the first ground up, purpose-built vehicle for desert racing. Built by Bill Stroppe's shop, it went on to win the '71 and '72 Baja 1000s and a few others in the hands of Parnelli Jones.

24d3ef42.jpg

Since there are NO early Broncos kits other than a few resin bodies, I will have to scratch-build almost totally. I started with a plastic toy made in the 70's. It is almost exactly 1:24 scale.

100_5247.jpg

Here is my first and fourth attempt at casting the sides:

100_2229-1.jpg

Good enough to work with (hopefully).

The real Bronco has been channeled and width reduced by 3". Luckily my miter saw blade scales out to very close to 3" scale inches so...

100_6212-1-1.jpg

102_2380.jpg

The fender shapes and flares were no where near what the real truck has so I cut these out so styrene and superglued on:

102_2370.jpg

Then after A LOT of work sanding, shaping, filling, filing the flares look much closer... we will see after I get some primer on.

102_2378.jpg

I will try to post often. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

John

TOO COOL, John!

I'll be eagerly following this build.

After all these years I still can't

believe the 66-77 Bronco hasn't

been kitted. There are so many

variations that could be spun off of

one basic kit. I have one of the

Gay Toys :lol: Bronco's and thought

from time to time of casting it up.

For a $0.50 cent toy it's pretty

accurate.

post-2949-1245108417_thumb.jpg

PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED! :lol:

I like where your going with this build. To me it looks like you need to make the wheel wells higher on the body, as the ones on the real one are above the side body line.

Mustanglover1951, when I originally put the flares on I hadn't notice how high they really were on the real truck. So yes, now I think it will be too obvious to leave so I am raising them up right now.

84Vanagon, yes, hard to believe nobody has made one. I heard rumors Tamiya was going to make one as they were spotted at a show last year measuring and photographing a Bronco but it turned out to be an RC version that should be coming out, well, now.

The Gay Toys is surprisingly accurate (all except that darn grill. Luckily Oly has a different one.)

Again, thanks for the comments.

John

A few updates... the ends:

The grill on the real truck and the toy are VERY different so I pretty much had to totally hand build it. The only thing I was able to use was the strip across the center with the F O R D on it:

102_2382.jpg

102_2407.jpg

To the rear:

100_2411.jpg

And of course there is no tailgate... built the area where gas tanks will go:

2c00815e.jpg

100_2471.jpg

John

• 2 months later...

Thought I would update my progress....

The cage is 99% done:

3f97f96d.jpg

5c5142fd.jpg

I am purposefully leaving off the bars across the top of the doors and in the center of the roof so that I can get the interior in.

And now working on the interior. It too is pretty close to being done.

100_2532-1-1.jpg

Everything should look much better after a few coats of primer and sanding.

Thanks for watching.

John

Fantastic work on the cage and the channeling (sp?). I too have always like that era of the Bronco. Why is the body cut down on the original?

Thanks all for your kind words... yes, striving for accuracy which makes it a VERY difficult build... have almost given up on many times. Thankfully have little sparks of excitement between the hours of frustration to keep it going.

Plastic Freak, I am not exactly sure why they channelled it but knowing some history of the trucks before it, I will guess that they did it to cut down on weight. The only reason it was built in the first place was that Parnelli Jones was so hard on the modified stock Broncos that they build this one from scratch with as much strength, light weight and race car-like feel as possible. That is the main reason that this truck was so important in history, it was the first ground-up built vehicle for desert racing (rather than just taking a factory truck and modifying the heck out of it).

If you are intersted in Parnelli Jones' desert racing history, here is a cool video with lots of info about Oly.

John

• 8 months later...

I just realized I have not been keeping up my WIP here... so here is my next installment.

Obviously have made a lot of progress since last year....

On to the rear of the car:

Added the radiators, and fuel fullers.

100_3268.jpg

I have braided lines and vent hoses ready to put on too. Will post pix.

So, to day date this is all the parts I have hand-made:

9dfd6b5b.jpg

And the decals:

olydecalsfinal.jpg

John

Excellent! I'm not a Ford man but they sure had a pretty truck there. One of if not my all time biggest wants in the truck dept for a plastic kit. You wait, once you finish it a kit will appear on the horizon!

Keep at it. Great work.

Chris

Thanks much for all the kind words guys. And yes Matthew, I made the decals using Adobe Illustrator. I am a graphic designer for a living so decals were the easiest part of the project.

Getting tired of everything being styrene white and resin tan I decided to treat myself and get paint on something. In this case I picked wheels/tires and under the hood.

The wheels came from RMS Resin (Ryan's a great guy to deal with). They started out very deep so I cut them down to a more realistic depth. Note, fronts and rears are different. Top is the original, left is the rear, right is front.

100_3520.jpg

Ryan threw in the knock offs for free. And after paint I think they look pretty close. The wheel with the red knock off is the spare... not sure why they made it a different color.

100_3605.jpg

100_3606.jpg

Was also able to get some paint on the motor:

100_3603.jpg

100_35252.jpg

I also finished the front of the motor. Scratch built the pump, pulley and belt. Also added mounting brackets to the alternator. The fan in real life looks like it was quickly painted with a spray can so I tried to do the same by painting over bolt heads. Scratches on the blades (and oil pan) showing metal underneath are intentional. They will be mounted later... gotta make sure I can get the motor into the frame with that stuff attached. I would hate to have to take it off.

100_3610-2.jpg

As always, any questions, feel free to ask.

John

Hello John As a scratch builder myself i can really appreciate the work you have invested in this project and to watch your build from the start as a toy to progress to a full on scale replica has been a joy. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your final post. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Romell has been hounding me for an update (kidding of course) so here it is. And thanks everyone for the kind words.

Been working on all those tiny little things that make scratchbuilds just look home made: seams that don't line up perfectly, rough filler under paint, holes not perfectly round, etc. I really admire the guys that make these things for model companies.

A few photos of the first test fit of the body...

100_3625.jpg

100_3630.jpg

A big problem showed up yesterday. The top wing had, for some reason, become warped/wavy. The thing was no longer flat and since it will be chrome, it will be very obvious.

100_3646.jpg

I bit the bullet and made another... I figure now is the time to make it right rather than after is done. This time I decided to use thick parallel ribs rather that horizontal. Also, used super glue rather than weld as it caused so many issues in the first (technically second) wing. The areas between the ribs were a problem in the first wing so I super glued very thick styrene to them to help with the flatness.

cf6c0f71.jpg

Forgot to post the rear axle before... lots of stuff that attaches to it. It is a three-link system connecting at the top of pumpkin and to the front bottoms. On top of those mounts are the shock mounts connecting to the spring mounts. At the rear are the sway bar connections. On top of those are large plates that hold big rubber bump stops. And there is a Panhard Bar connection on the back too (can barely see it at the top rear).

100_3643.jpg

Also here are some new things... the spare tire mount and a thing that I am not sure what it is (think it holds a highlift jack). The unconnected sway bar can be seen flopping underneath.

100_3648.jpg

Thanks for watching,

John

And more pix...

The color of the cage is straight-out-of-the-can Acapulco Blue, a Ford color from that time period so I believe it to be the right color.

100_3687s.jpg

And with the rear plumbing added (test fitted).

100_3689.jpg

I have not used Testors Model Master Lacquer paints before now. They lay down very nicely, stink though.

Now on to the front plumbing.

John