Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Camaro Z-28 - update 99.9% finished

loudcherokee

Hello folks,

I just joined up here, and thought I would share my current work in progress. I'm working on my uncles 1969 Chevy Camaro Z-28. It was a car that he had when I was a child, and it is one of the only cars that sticks out in my mind from my child hood.

Here are some pics of the car I'm replicating --

phils-camaro1.jpg

phils-camaro5.jpg

phils-camaro2.jpg

As you can see, it wasn't necessarily stock. Radiused fenders, and fender flares for the rear. Chrome trim removed, no badges anywhere, except the Z-28 badging, L-88 Fiberglass hood.

My starting point was the Yenko 1969 Camaro, since it was a kit that I had laying around, and I couldn't find any more of the Z-28 kits locally. I started by sanding off the scripts everywhere on the body.

100_4755.jpg

and filling in the gills in front of the rear fenders -

100_4761.jpg

Then I started work on the fender flares. I used Evergreen strip styrene, and attached it to the inside of the fender by using plastic weld.

flares3.jpg

Here's a comparison shot - stock vs non stock -

flares6.jpg

Edited by loudcherokee

Now, at this point, I was ok with the flares, but still somewhat unhappy with the results. I looked and looked, and then finally seen that the fenderwell on my uncles car came up well above the body molding line in the rear quarters, so i decided to rip the fresh fender flares out, and grab my rotary tool.

By placing the chassis in the body, I drew a line where the fender wells were at on the chassis, so I wouldn't go above the frame.

flares8.jpg

I followed this line, and then was finished with radiusing the fenders

flares9.jpg

The new fender flares match my uncles ride much better

flares11.jpg

After this, I went through alot of trial and error with the flares. Bunches of bondo, superglue, and baking soda. Inbetween all of this, I was also working on the interior and engine.

painted the seats and door panels gloss black, then hit it with testors dull coat. Added seatbelt material sourced from michaels craft store, and some photo etched hardware from Detail master, purchased at www.scaledreams.com

interior4.jpg

A mockup of the ride height, before I sourced the L-88 hood from the baldwin motion 69 camaro, and after I obtained the 5 slot fenton mags from PSF hobbies. The tires at this point were still incorrect.

stance5.jpg

The engine was painted with Chevy Engine Red, then wired with yellow ignition wire from scale dreams. Also used some detail master photo etch wire looms. I made 90 degree spark plug boots for the distributor end of everything with the boot material -

wired5.jpg

wired4.jpg

wired2.jpg

Also got the vanity plates and the USA-1 license plate on the front made with testors decal paper -

plates2.jpg

plates1.jpg

When i had originally painted the car, I painted the hood shut. I was unaware of this, until I popped the hood off from underneath and it decided to take some paint chips with it from the fenders. I debated over how to fix this, and then decided to go at it like a 1:1, I masked off an area slightly bigger than the chips, sanded everything smooth, and primered it up.

disaster.jpg

I then wet-sanded the primer smooth at the edges, to blend into the surrounding paint so there would not be a transition line -

disaster4.jpg

And now we are fixed!

freshpaint4.jpg

The latest things I've done are completed the chassis, and installed the Thrush glasspack mufflers that he had on his car. These are machined aluminum by scale repros plus, obtained from scale dreams. I scratch built the flanges from two pieces of strip styrene.

underside2.jpg

I was able to obtain the correct tires through another forum member, and get the correct stance -

underside1.jpg

almost-there1.jpg

almost-there2.jpg

So thats where I'm at. All that's left is to BMF the front and back windows, polish out the body, throw some wax on it, and finish assembly.

Thanks for looking, and any comments/criticism are always welcome, good or bad.

LC

It's obvious the car was special to your uncle back then, and I'm sure he'll be thrilled with the model of it; you're doing it up right for sure.

Here's my question, however: does your uncle know you're doing the model? I've done a couple of replica builds as surprise gifts in the past, and they never fail to blow people's minds.

LC-

Man, that looks killer! It looks just like the photos you have. I'm sure that your uncle will love it. Glad to see that those Fenton 5 slot mags that I turned you on to at PSF Hobbies worked out. They look great. I remember your post asking where you could get some. It's one of the few times that I have been able to steer someone toward what they were looking for. I feel that I was able to help make this build a reality. :o Excuse me while I brush away a tear.... :lol:

Later-

It's obvious the car was special to your uncle back then, and I'm sure he'll be thrilled with the model of it; you're doing it up right for sure.

Here's my question, however: does your uncle know you're doing the model? I've done a couple of replica builds as surprise gifts in the past, and they never fail to blow people's minds.

Yeah, unfortunately the surprise factor was ruined by me having to ask for reference photos, questions about the car, etc. For instance, I would have never known about the thrush mufflers if I hadn't asked. I would have liked to surprised him with it though.

I am planning on sending it to him when I'm finished. Any tips on packaging for a safe trip from PA to TN?

LC

LC-

Man, that looks killer! It looks just like the photos you have. I'm sure that your uncle will love it. Glad to see that those Fenton 5 slot mags that I turned you on to at PSF Hobbies worked out. They look great. I remember your post asking where you could get some. It's one of the few times that I have been able to steer someone toward what they were looking for. I feel that I was able to help make this build a reality. :rolleyes: Excuse me while I brush away a tear.... ;)

Later-

Modlbldr, again, thank you very much for the help in finding the wheels. They made the build! It just wouldn't look right if I couldn't go with the same kind of wheels he had. Luckily there was a scale version made!

LC

That's a great build. Looks just like the photos.

awsome build like the fenders mod, and your attention to detail this is one BAD ASS Z-28. ohmy.gif

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. This is probably one of my more intensive projects, and has provided a couple of firsts for me, such as the fender flares, use of photo-etch, resin parts, etc. I think I'm going to have to build something out of the box before I start my Chevelle that I plan on building for a contest. As another modeler put it, I need to "decompress" after starting that project, haha.

LC

........ I am planning on sending it to him when I'm finished. Any tips on packaging for a safe trip from PA to TN?

LC

wrap it in bubble wrap alot (wrap it where it looks like theres two in there!)

then fill the box that your sending it in(preferably a bigger box) half way with those foam peanuts, then put the mode in, then fill the box the rest of the way up with foam peanuts. Remember, the postal service throws boxes around(I'd also put alot of fragile stickers on it!) so pack accordingly.

Hope it helps, just my expeience with packing stuff!

Here we go. All that lacks is to add the Z-28 logos to the front fenders, and painting the marker lights. I'm just too tired to do that right now, but I snapped some pics of final assembly. Hope you like them!

finished.jpg

finished1.jpg

finished9.jpg

I also need to touch up that little dot of silver sharpie I got on the rear lense

finished5.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished12.jpg

LC

More pics can be found at -- http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/Lou...aro%20finished/

Edited by loudcherokee

Awesome build. I hope you don't mind I took the liberty of editing another comparison pic for you. I recently built a replica of my 81 Z28 and I know how hard it is to make a model look like the 1:1. If I were you, I'd have to built two. One to keep and one to send to the Uncle. No big deal right. lol

phils-camaro1b.jpg

Edited by leereyn

Very nice job indeed....and that front 3/4 view makes it look mean!!

I am planning on sending it to him when I'm finished. Any tips on packaging for a safe trip from PA to TN?

LC

I've worked a lot of years in shipping & receiving and I've sent a few finished models to new homes as far away as TX and CA; here's what I've done:

The finished model is always secured to a show case base(usually AMT) with small zip-ties; this reduces the risk of future damage by over-handling IMO, and the only maintenance needed by the new owner is cleaning the clear case cover. Wrap the hood separately, and pack it in the end of the showcase box to keep it from banging into the car during transit. I fit the case cover in place and rubber band it before sliding the case into its original box. Wrap the show case box in bubble wrap and pack it in a slightly larger box(maybe even add some foam peanuts if there's room). I then pack that box in a larger one surrounded by foam peanuts to provide a 'crumple zone,' in case an overzealous postal/UPS worker decides it's his turn to kick a winning field goal.

Tracking and insurance are two things I recommend, and I've had better luck with UPS when it comes to shipping finished models. PA to TN should only be a day or two via Ground shipping, and you can have them email you tracking info directly with their 'QuantumNotify' system.

The packing method I use may amount to overkill, but I always 'err on the side of caution.'

LC-

I agree with VW Dave. He's got the right idea for shipping the model. If that doesn't protect it then the only thing that would have worked would have been for you to hand deliver it. Err on the side of caution and you won't be sorry later.

Again, your build turned out beautiful.

Later-