Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gold Rush

Tommy Kortman

Playing with the camera tonight so I thought I'd post some photos of some of my stuff. I apologize in advance for any issues with color, lighting, focus, etc. I was trying some stuff.

Here goes.

This is a 50 Merc that I did as a model of an actual car that was featured in Rod & Custom.

Color is HoK Pagan Gold pearl. (same as the real car) The scallops are custom decals. The bullets are Bob Dudek pieces. The flying eyeball in the back window is scratch built.

100_4449-vi.jpg

100_4456-vi.jpg

100_4451-vi.jpg

100_4453-vi.jpg

100_4454-vi.jpg

100_4455-vi.jpg

The color on this one is blown out on purpose because it was the only way i could get the digital dash to show up.

100_4457-vi.jpg

I hope you like it.

Edited by Tommy Kortman

That's a beautiful Merc Tommy, bloody beautiful! Everything looks just right; the colour, the louvres in the bonnet, the wheels, the black decals, the grille, the huge exhaust tips, all of it man!

BTW, how did you do the louvres?

Cheers, Tom.

Thanks guys,

I've seen some of your stuff, and I'm honored that y'all like it.

I did start with the Revell 49 Merc. Research showed that the 49 & 50 were almost the same except for some badging which the real car did not have anyway. The louvered hood is from the revell kit. The body only needed minor work. First I turned it into a hard top. Then I filled in the front marker lights and created the "teardrops" under the headlights. Lastly I fillled in the kit tail light holes, and frenched in a stock set of tail lights from the AMT 49 Merc. The most work was done on the bumpers. The front bumper was shaved, narrowed, and flipped upside down. The rear bumper was also narrowed, shaved, and had the overrider from the AMT kit added before it was frenched into the rear quarter panels.

Unfortunately this piece does not have a motor. I built it as a curbside so I could concentrate on the exterior. I tend to focus on the motors a lot and this time I really wanted to concentrate on the exterior.

Thanks again for all of the wonderful words.

Edited by Tommy Kortman