Model Cars Magazine Forum

Money for Models???

Since I've never entered a model contest, I'm curious... have any of you ever entered a contest where the prize(s) were actual cash money? Do any such contests exist?

Related question: For any of you who enter contests: would cash prizes make you any more apt to enter such a contest, as opposed to a typical contest where the prizes are plaques/trophies?

Related question: Would you be interested in entering a contest that had a fairly high entry fee (say $50 for the sake of argument), but a certain percentage of that fee went into the "prize pot" and cash prizes were awarded to the winners?

First of all....I enter shows but don't expect or care if I win..I am just not competitive really. (had to clear that up)

Yes Elden Titus RIP..he started a contest at the Kustom Kemps of America show in Salina, Kansas. The grand prize is $500.00....awards are the same as the 1:1 rides that go to that show.

Since I've never entered a model contest, I'm curious... have any of you ever entered a contest where the prize(s) were actual cash money? Do any such contests exist?

The "cash incentive" is one question I am asked most by people who are not in, or understand our hobby. Whhen I mention that it is a contest I am going to, they always say "Can you win money?"

I have never been to a contest where cash is the bait. I am sure there are some, but that to me is no more of an incentive than the hope of placing, ir maybe even winning a trophy.

There have been a few contests here and there with some sort of cash prize. They are few and far between, though it is an interesting incentive for those with the competitive spirit. No guarantee that judging would be fair and balanced, but there's no guarantee of that in any contest anywhere with any sort of prize.

:lol: Harry ,

Ya gotta be kiddin' ! Good Lord , man , they want to kill each other over plaques and trophies , and you want to bring money into this equation ? Perish the thought ! There is enough shin kickin' , eye gougin' , and back stabbin' goin on as it is without cash being thrown into the mix. :lol:

I have to agree with Bob , they are few and far between. Now that you mentioned it , a buddy of mine from York Pa. told me last week that there is one coming up somewhere in Pa. in the next couple of months which if offering cash for Best Of Show. I'll let you know what goes on.

Actually you'll probably read about it in the news , the body count should justify front page coverage ! :lol:

The Old Man

:lol: Harry ,

Ya gotta be kiddin' ! Good Lord , man , they want to kill each other over plaques and trophies , and you want to bring money into this equation ?

I'm not saying that cash prizes are good or bad... I'm just asking for your opinions. I'm interested to see what you guys that enter contests think of the idea.

Personally I couldn't care less one way or the other, I don't enter contests.

I've only been entering shows since about '96 or so. Back in 2001, the '55 D-Jag I built won the Super September Showdown here in PA. For best of show, I won $100 given to me by one of the sponsors!! :lol:

I was really surprised as there was NO mention of money being part of the deal!

It wouldn't have mattered to me one way or another, just the surprise factor is what tickled me. :lol:

Maybe that's what needs to happen.......instead of folks knowing about it ahead of time, spring it on 'em when they win! :lol:

Harry, years ago cash and prizes were awarded at the Model Contest at the Portland Roadster Show. One year the prize awards included a new Color TV a Mini-Bike and a fair some of cash the total prize award that year was over $2,000. There was so much uproar from those who didn't win it wasn't even funny. One of the builders who didn't get what he thought was his fair share of the awards, threatened to beat the 'you know what' one of the judges because he was honest and told the guy why he didn't place higher in the class then he did. The other problem we had with giving out large prizes like that was 'How do they get them home?' Parking can be an issue around some of these venues that we use for events and public transportation is a viable option to fighting for a parking space.

We all like to have our egos stroked from time to time, winning an award certainly does that, but when you add money to the mix, it quickly becomes ugly. No longer is it a question of who the best builder is, it's now "He got my share of the prize money!"

While I was typing the first part of this response I got a call from our club president. He has entered contests over the years where cash was awarded to the winners. The thing he noted that as long as the cash award was around $50 for a class win and $100 for a Best of win things seemed to go well. However, once the awards exceeded those amounts it became very nasty and confrontational. The other thing he noticed is when the dollar values exceeded the $50/$100 limits the character of the contest changed, no longer was it the local everyday builders but those who build museum quality models, who normally don't attend such events, cam out of the woodwork.

So, there are Pros and Cons to a contest where cash is awarded in place of plaques and trophies. Personally, I think we're all gamblers and would pay a higher entry fee for the chance of a bigger award in the end.

My $.02 worth.

They only thing I can say is if you go to a contest you are there to compete. If not why would you put you stuff on the table. Money plaques, Hickory Farms gift basket or whatever it will be we still go for the same reasons. I enjoy seeing people from years past, from other contests and my fellow club members. We are there to have fun aswell I don't want that to get lost in translation in my post. If you win be humble if you lose be humble. Have I complained about judging, absolutely. Poop happens it is a way of life. Use that and build on it for the next contest. I like seeing new stuff at shows. It gives me motivation to expand my skills. Although there are some the do things to death. Like if you have seen car they have built you have seen them all. I welcome plaques, trophies, the aforementioned Hickory Farms basket, and yes cash.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't care for a contest with $$ as a prize. I'm not in it for the cash. I simply enjoy the competition itself and if I were to be lucky enough to win a prize, i'm perfectly happy with a plaque, trophy and such. I agree that the cash would just make things ugly. :)

Related question: For any of you who enter contests: would cash prizes make you any more apt to enter such a contest, as opposed to a typical contest where the prizes are plaques/trophies?

Personally, I wouldn't think so. I have won more than my fair share of trophies, and I appreciate these much more than any amounts of money I could possibly have won. To be perfectly honest, the "Best Mopar Award" I won in Cookeville last year brought tears to my eyes (and it still does every time i look at it) as it was in memory of a club member that just passed away, and the honor of receiving it was worth more than any amount of money I could ever have won. Like LoneWolf15 said, bringing money into it will only cause trouble and is, in my opinion, "not in the spirit of the rules". You can't put money on the shelf, can you?

How about this as an inversion of the question?: How much would you pay for a model that would win a contest for you? I don't mean how much would you pay for a contest-winning model ex post facto, but what amount you'd pay for a model you could enter in contests and win. I realize that most of us modelers operate under an unwritten code of ethics that would prohibit us from entering in a contest a model we didn't build, so most of us would reply, "Nothing." But there are those less-than-scrupulous modelers (or maybe just buyers) out there who would do so. So, how much should a contest winner garner in cold, hard cash? I realize that the many variables involved preclude any objective answer; I raise the issue more as a prod to reflection among modelers on the ethics of contest entry. In other words, how can we even begin to monetize what we do? Harry's original query could be posed differently: How much would it take (in prize money) to get you to enter contests solely to win money?

Related question: Would you be interested in entering a contest that had a fairly high entry fee (say $50 for the sake of argument), but a certain percentage of that fee went into the "prize pot" and cash prizes were awarded to the winners?

Me personally, I wouldnt be interested in competing for money.

In my mind it changes the whole point and purpose of a contest, and makes it more "Professional" and "CUT-THROAT" in my way of thinking and my experiences in contests for over 50 years.

I go to contests to look at other peoples cool models, be with my buddies, joke around, tell lies, make new friends, go out and eat as often as possible :lol: , talk about plastic, buy a new model or two if there is a swap meet, and maybe if I'm lucky enough, win some kind of award.

IN SHORT - I'M THERE MAINLY FOR THE SOCIAL FUN AND RELAXATION, and it works for me.

Harry's original query could be posed differently: How much would it take (in prize money) to get you to enter contests solely to win money?

For me personally, I have always built first for the pure joy of it, and for my own artistic expression - I love to use my imagination to "What-if" and then create.

For me, the point of building solely to win money would cheapen and violate the whole purpose and intent of what I'm passionate about, as well as change my focus about being there to answer questions and help encourage newer modelers to the hobby.

For me, the point of building solely to win money would cheapen and violate the whole purpose and intent of what I'm passionate about, as well as change my focus about being there to answer questions and help encourage newer modelers to the hobby.

You took the words right out of my mouse, Dave.

I'm not keen on the idea of a cash prize for my work; putting a price on something I consider priceless goes against the very reasons I'm into this hobby. A lucky ticket drawn for a cool door prize like a model kit, t-shirt or a gift certificate is more my speed.

You took the words right out of my mouse, Dave.

I'm not keen on the idea of a cash prize for my work; putting a price on something I consider priceless goes against the very reasons I'm into this hobby. A lucky ticket drawn for a cool door prize like a model kit, t-shirt or a gift certificate is more my speed.

Chilly's question puts an interesting spin on this.

Some of you seem to be saying that a cash prize somehow violates or goes against your reasons for participating in contests.

So the question is, why? Why would you be "offended" or turned off by a contest that offers a cash prize, but see no problem entering a contest that doesn't? All things being equal, in the plaque/trophy-type contest the competitiveness is still there, the idea of of determining "winners" is still there... so why is entering a contest that does NOT offer cash prizes acceptable, while a contest that would offer cash prizes is offensive? Why does the actual type of reward (cash, plaque, trophy, ribbon, whatever) make a difference as to whether you would compete or not?

If it could be judge like the GSL I would not have any trouble if there was $$$ on the line as there are them that build for the Grandmaster award and others that build for the class award, It shows on how much time and fun we have with it. Now what I like seeing is after such GSL is over and seeing every one at other shows to see how the same model fairs to what people are building all over that could not go to the GSL.

I have seen a few models get awards at other places after the GSL that only I think is because of being in the magazines and such then if no one know how they did out west. But still a good topic and points for each subject.

Some of you seem to be saying that a cash prize somehow violates or goes against your reasons for participating in contests.

So the question is, why? Why would you be "offended" or turned off by a contest that offers a cash prize, but see no problem entering a contest that doesn't? All things being equal, in the plaque/trophy-type contest the competitiveness is still there, the idea of of determining "winners" is still there... so why is entering a contest that does NOT offer cash prizes acceptable, while a contest that would offer cash prizes is offensive? Why does the actual type of reward (cash, plaque, trophy, ribbon, whatever) make a difference as to whether you would compete or not?

Winning a trophy is cool in that you can look at it for many years and " remember when". Money is probably gone the next day. A trophy still makes it a hobby. Money makes it a business. Goodby fun and relaxation. Have seen this happen over the years to people who make and or build things. They make them for enjoyment and to look at then someone says you should sell them for some MONEY. Soon the fun factor is gone. Money kills the spirit(and the hobby factor). Enough said. Richard

Model car building is like almost any pursuit a person can undertake. There are many levels of involvement out there. You have sandlot teams to overpaid pros in Baseball - every skill level of golfer. Why should model cars be different? I actually ran a contest that paid cash one year. It went OK but we had few entries because the fee was $25.00 We had six! The winner got $100.00. The judging was excellent. The only complaint was from the wife :o of the last place finisher -"He paid $75. for the wheels!"

I think a contest with cash and or serious merchandise prizes brings out more models of higher quality. It is logical. Not everyone can compete in that environment. I love bike riding but I will not be appearing at the Tour De France :o . If one can't, won't or doesn't want to compete at a higher level contest, that is fine. Don't say it isn't fine for those of us who are competitive to have a place to do it.

Some of the Revell contests in the 60s had serious prizes including new cars. The MPC series which ended in 79 had a lot of merchandise prizes. I even believe that there was a Monogram sponsored contest in Car Model mag in the early 70s and the first place prize was the 1/1 Predicta show car! :D

So Harry, when are you going to actually show up at an NNL or contest?? Just asking.

I'll try to answer your question Harry, but this is just my take on it. I'm not offended by prize money or anything else. But this is just a hobby for me, and that's where I personally want to keep my focus. People's attitudes can get ugly enough just over a trophy at times, and for more than that it can be "Major Dramatic". I've seen guy's "GO TOTALLY POSTAL" man, and just go off the deep end screemin and yellin at everyone - IT'S NOT A PRETTY SITE.

We're talking about the "Male Gender" here Harry and BUCKET LOADS OF MALE TESTESTERONE :lol: at these events and all the BIGGIES especially think THEY SHOUD WIN.

IT'S LIKE KING ATHUR'S COURT, AND THE KNIGHT'S OF THE ROUND TABLE, BUT THERE'S NO CHIVALRY. THEIR ALL JOSTING TO WIN, BUT AT CONTESTS LIKE YOUR TALKING ABOUT, THEY'LL STAB YOU IN THE BACK, OR FRIENDLY UP ANY WAY THEY THEY CAN SO THEY CAN WIN.

Awards and money can bring out the very worst in people and you can see it first hand at events likE your suggesting.

I BEEN DOIN THIS FOR 50 + YEARS AND SEEN IT ALL.

I think possibly the biggest quandry for you Harry, is that you haven't competed over a period of time, and especially at the level your talking about, to get the "Flavor" of competing at the level your talking about. You say you haven't even been to a contest, so I think going and watching the people and their reactions and how they interact can tell you a lot. It sure has for me.

Personally I don't see a problem with giving away money or anything else, for those who want to particapate and can put up with the drama that usually follow's.

For me life is too short to put up with the same "Whinners" and "Drama Kings" that show up with the same bad attitudes.

The quality of the event, the people and the judging ( Not just for me, but for everyone ) is what's most important to me. But that's just me.

I have my own list of events that I'll go to , and some that I just don't bother with anymore.

There are gigantic ego's out there, from not only the participants, but also the promotors who run the shows and strut around and act like Peacocks - MAKES ME LAUGH - GREAT FREE ENTERTAINMENT :lol: . Usually the bigger the show the worse it is :P .

Well, gotta go Harry. Headin down I5 to Eugene this morning to go to a B-B-Q with the LAMA Club.

Nice 100 mile drive with beautiful green rolling hills and lush green pasture land all the way down there, beautiful drive.

No awards either - just my best bud's, cammadrie, and plastic - EEEEHAH B)

Oh yeah - FOOOOOOOD ;):rolleyes: and SCHMOOOOOZING (TELLING STORIES AND LIES)

Forget the money Harry and have a Bar-B-Que - LOL

EAT, RELAX, AND DON'T TAKE LIFE TOO SERIOUSLY MY FRIENDS

Edited by Treehugger Dave

So the question is, why? Why would you be "offended" or turned off by a contest that offers a cash prize, but see no problem entering a contest that doesn't?

I rarely enter contests anyway, so I probably had no business replying in the first place. I'm much more into an NNL-style event than a competitive event nowadays, having burned myself out on contests in my teens. My reasons for building these days is vastly different from when I was 18.

So Harry, when are you going to actually show up at an NNL or contest?? Just asking.

Well, it's wise to never say "never," but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

I just don't do the contest thing, never have. Like you said, Andy... this hobby can be enjoyed on many levels, and in many ways. For me, it's strictly a personal thing... something I do if and when the mood strikes. I'm not nearly as involved in models and model building as many of the guys here are. For me it's a much more casual thing, just one of several things I might do in my spare time... or not. And very sporadically at that. I've gone literally years without ever touching a model kit, yet there are times when I'll get in the mood for whatever reason and crank out 3-4-5 in a row. Go figure... B)