Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped Merc

Joe Handley

I found this AMT Merc that I started chopping a few years back and put away when the chemicals in Squadron Green Putty turned the roof and windshield opening to rubber when I put too much on without realising that would happen. What I did is chop the part of the roof that is directly above windshield then cut the body above and below the C-Pillar and back window then leaned the whole roof forward, which required removing the B-Pillar as well. Thought I'd take pics of it after findind it while looking for kits to get rid of and post them here to see what you guys though.

ea96d7c8.jpg

27b6a6fb.jpg

55f87468.jpg

e554ce59.jpg

040480c7.jpg

fae0c879.jpg

What do you guys think?

Its looks like great potential as a 2 dr. hardtop. That would be different. For an idea, check the latest issue of Street Rodder Magazine. (An idea book for MCM modelers) There is a drawing of a '52 Chevy fastback converted to a 2 dr. hardtop. Can you get the vision?

Gary

Thanks guys, I appreciate the good words! It looked like the plastic has stabilized enough that I can now start sanding it again. Been trying to remember what I was doing for the window openings, I'm thinking I was going to glue in some strip over the top portion as a bit of a flair over the top of the opening (kinda like making a fender flare, if that makes sense :( ) With any luck this will be a bit of a head scratcher once the primer is on it and the surgical scars are covered since the pillars aren't technically cut down at all :wub:

Anybody else think that some of the new Model Master and Testor's lacquers would look really good on this car too?

Guest Mustang3.8

Great start, Joe. This thing begs for slanted "B" pillars, custom fender skirts, spotlights, wide white wall tires, and Buick side trim. As for colour, I go with two-tone purple, or Testor Red Metal Flake with creme coloured side scallops. :)

IIRC the stock trim was going to stay, but I was thinking about the stock "skirts" and the kit's Baby Moons with hand painted wide whites. I have been thinking of Flaming Orange, Ice Blue or Pearl White on this one too....maybe both with the blue on top. I did have a co-worker suggest putting Electric Pink on the upper half, but I don't think that will happen :)