Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell California Dune Buggy

Guest Gassersgarage

Guest Gassersgarage

Does anyone know the history of this kit? Like when it was first issued, what 1:1 its modeled after? Are anything else?
Thanks

Robert

Does anyone know the history of this kit? Like when it was first issued, what 1:1 its modeled after? Are anything else?

Thanks

Robert

Robert....going from memory here...IIRC this is a reissue of the old Revell EMPI dune buggy, which ws first released around 1969.

It's a pretty nice kit. It was licensed to at least one othe model maker during the interim years.

I'm sure somebody will jump on this right away if my memory is incorrect on this...TIM

Tim is correct! All of the Revell VW based buggies, etc. look OK with a bunch of work. None of it is too difficult. The wheels and tires are quite tossable. The VW engine is terrible. The Corvair engine is pretty nice. The body shapes are good. They are fun to build.

Gran Turismo with Corvair engine, and Fujimi Porsche wheels.

gt2-vi.jpg

gt1-vi.jpg

Gypsy with the VW motor. I scartchbuilt the exhaust. Wheels are Monogram and tires are Jimmy Flintstone/Testors.

gypsy2-vi.jpg

Tim's spot on with his info, it's the EMPI Imp. I had two of those kits that I traded away, and now they're kinda hard-to-find. :)

I'm a Manx guy to the core, but the Imp sure is a cool looking machine; as it was based on a stock Beetle pan, it could actually seat four people(unlike the Manx). There were no less than three gennie Imps at Carlisle this spring, and I'm pretty sure two of them were wearing their original gel-coat :lol:

DSCN9399_edited-vi.jpg

DSCN9397_edited-vi.jpg

IMPORT CARLISLE 2009

Dave and Andy...thanks for confirming. Andy....cool models!

Dave....those are great 1/1 scale pix.....

Here's one of a series of pix I took of a killer Corvair powered Manx at this year's goodguys Columbus (stop action photography as it pulled into a line waiting for the exit is at the link....)

DSC_0649-vi.jpg

DSC_0655-vi.jpg

Live action photos - Manx at 2009 Goodguys Columbus (and a couple hundred other cool cars)

Best regards....TIM

I wonder if that was an original ManxVair chassis under there; as they're über-rare nowadays, it's neat to see one in person.

My 'OG' Manx is powered by two less cylinders, but at 1300lbs. it still scoots along pretty good:

DSCN2473_edited-vi.jpg

Neat little bit of buggy nonsense to share: I've known Darrell Vittone personally for a decade or so; his dad Joe started EMPI, and Darrell was the first driver of the EMPI 'Inch Pincher' Beetle drag car. Darrell autographed two of my dune buggy books, and he added a personal note in one of them: "Dave - The Manx is cool, but the Imp is pimp." ;)

Edited by VW Dave

Sorry to disagree, but the original instructions for the EMPI Imp call for shortening the VW chassis by 12". After the cut there's still a rear seat area but I converted mine to a lockable storage area (hinged plywood w/lock and a tonneau cover).

Guest Gassersgarage

Thanks for the info everyone, great pics. No wonder I coundn't find any 1:1 pics, I was looking at Manx buggies and they just didn't match up!!

Robert

though not too practical or realistic, the quad cam porsche out of the enthuiast series Porsche 356 would sure look cool in one of those buggys.

A cheaper alternative is the Carrera motor from the old Aurora - now Revell 904. It's 1/25th, scale too! :D It beats trashing out an expensive :o Fujimi kit.

>It beats trashing out an expensive Fujimi kit.

true but the motor in the aurora doesnt hold a candle to the fujimi 356 one!

and i luckily picked up a half dozen of the testor boxed 356s 10 years ago or so, most had broken window posts on the body due to poor packaging and way way WAY too many parts for the boxes. but the motors and everything else are super cool and i keep thinking im going to do some 356 rat rods one of these days with the bodies!

i forgot about the slight scale difference; would just make the quad cam look more awesome!

Sorry to disagree, but the original instructions for the EMPI Imp call for shortening the VW chassis by 12". After the cut there's still a rear seat area but I converted mine to a lockable storage area (hinged plywood w/lock and a tonneau cover).

Thanks for the info, Jim; with the low-slung body and the huge rear seating area, I thought for sure it was a longer buggy than that. The Manx is 14 1/2" shorter than stock, and rear legroom is harder to find than a unicorn. :)

• 2 months later...
That's why I converted my Imps' "backseat" into a lockable trunk.

great looking buggies,I pickup one of these revel kits.and it has no instructions for it.does any of ya all have a copy that they could scan and email to me? thank to all,Chris

• 4 years later...

Years back when I built a Revell Beetle, it had the worst flash I had ever seen on a kit. It was if it had been designed so you had to cut out all of the parts from 1 piece of plastic!

That's been my experience with most of the "old tool" Revell kits I had from the mid 80's to early 90's.

Skip's Fiesta Beetle x2, Street Machine Beetle x2, California Roller VW van, Gypsy Dune Buggy, 57 Chevy x2.