Model Cars Magazine Forum

Citroen 2CV

Guest arni

I saw this quaint little French kit in my lhs a few weeks ago and since I love to build off the wall subjects just had to have it.

2cwms0h.jpg

My first thought was to fit a Mustang V8,but being a small car space is tight..

rlba6x.jpg

So my thoughts ran towards making a new body,lower and longer while keeping the original shape.

282nvrl.jpg

The new body made from sheet styrene.

2gv7o75.jpg

I have mated up the Mustang V8 to the original transaxle and it is now a mid mount.The rear chassis section is off a 1:35 HumVee,same width as the Citroen chassis and gives me an independant rear end.

a160k1.jpg

The wheels and suspension both require surgery so they will sit inside the fenders.You can see a before and after here..

10wmc06.jpg

Point of no return LOL,the fenders were cut off the original shell.

548281.jpg

Just a pile of bits to give me ideas.

2dv4f1v.jpg

The rear fenders have fitted to the new shell,while the hood and front fenders have been glued together to make a one piece unit.

2nst0lj.jpg

All for now.

Nige, yer either a certified NUT, or a GENIUS!! Maybe a lil of BOTH! I got one of them Citro's at the last toy show I went to, caz I like off the wall stuff too, but I ain't got yer imagination,an was jus gonna build it semi-stock, with a good ol V-8 engine in the normal location.It IS in the front on them things, ain't it??? You go dude, i'm LIKEIN yer weird sense of design!!! :P:D;)

Nige, yer either a certified NUT, or a GENIUS!! Maybe a lil of BOTH! I got one of them Citro's at the last toy show I went to, caz I like off the wall stuff too, but I ain't got yer imagination,an was jus gonna build it semi-stock, with a good ol V-8 engine in the normal location.It IS in the front on them things, ain't it??? You go dude, i'm LIKEIN yer weird sense of design!!! :D;);)

Cheers George,

Guess I am a bit of both.. :P

And yay she was fwd.

Must show you my Ferrari Enzo rally car sometime. ;):P No kidding,done one..

Well don't be shy,Nigel, Jus whip that bad boy out! I ain't never seen one done up as a RALLY car! Didja make it 4wd?? :D;)

:P Nay George,just rwd and covered in mud,more of a British Rally crosser.Will dig the pics up soon.

I have done a little more on the 2CV,I made up a pair of doors and ran some Evergreen 0.5mm rod around the edges.

fog00i.jpg

The original trunk lid has been fitted to the new shell,and a new roof skin fitted also as on the real deal it is a fabric roof.

nmjek0.jpg

And the Citroen transaxle has been cleaned up and painted silver.

2nuje6h.jpg

All for now.

Intresting Nigel. What is the standard engine in one of them rascals? Is it pancake,? or a vertical, or a slant design? The front of the car doesn't seem long enough to hold a much bigger engine! That lil Ford mill looks good on there though! B):D;)

Hi George,the original engine was a 602cc air cooled flat twin,developing an awsome 30 or so BHP!! They are a blast to drive though,the fabric roof can be rolled up to the back window.And the front door windows go upwards when you open them...

That will be one wild rod. From a car that used wood framing to a midengine, modern suspension Rod/Grand Touring. Now that is a wild Frog Prine Metamorphisis. I'll be watching for your build posts!

CHEERS!

Tom

Cheers Tom,

They didn't have wood framing though,just a seperate chassis and standard bodywork.It is hard to believe but they were still in production till about 1987 in Portugal..

Hi George,the original engine was a 602cc air cooled flat twin,developing an awsome 30 or so BHP!! They are a blast to drive though,the fabric roof can be rolled up to the back window.And the front door windows go upwards when you open them...

Cheers Tom,

They didn't have wood framing though,just a seperate chassis and standard bodywork.It is hard to believe but they were still in production till about 1987 in Portugal..

I love this kind of off-the-wall stuff. It reminds me of a car I saw in the late 60s. It was some kind of little rear-engine Italian thing with an 800 cc engine, but it had Porsche 911 engine & trans. Ran like a bat out of hell and mopped up on SS396 Chevelles on a regular basis. :D

Gary

>I have mated up the Mustang V8 to the original transaxle and it is now a mid mount.The rear chassis section is off a 1:35

>HumVee,same width as the Citroen chassis and gives me an independant rear end.

ah the joys of models, and you didnt even have to get your hands greasy!

thats a great thing you got goin on there.

It is fun throwing the rule book out sometimes and doing something silly,like if you tried to put the power of a V8 through that transaxle it would explode! :lol:

But it looks good.

It is fun throwing the rule book out sometimes and doing something silly,like if you tried to put the power of a V8 through that transaxle it would explode! ;)

But it looks good.

;) I am so with you on that Nigel! Long as it looks good! :lol: and so far your Citroen is lookin' good--love how you scratched a whole nother body! Too cool!

;) I am so with you on that Nigel! Long as it looks good! B) and so far your Citroen is lookin' good--love how you scratched a whole nother body! Too cool!

The fun factor kicks in here again,the body is only sheet styrene.So if I mess up,I just start again.A sheet of styrene is about $2 over here,so the body cost me all of ohh about $1 to make. ;)

It means I can be crazy,err I mean creative for pennies. :lol::P

Uh Oh, SEE I TOLD ya you'd be ASSIMILLATED!!!! Now you ARE one of us!!! Right up there makein flights a fancy take LIFE!!!!! I TOLD ya you'd fit right in! This is GREAT caz now we gotta Brother in Belfast!!!Love this lil Citro, Now I GOTTA do sumpthin cool with mine!!! B);):lol:

Uh Oh, SEE I TOLD ya you'd be ASSIMILLATED!!!! Now you ARE one of us!!! Right up there makein flights a fancy take LIFE!!!!! I TOLD ya you'd fit right in! This is GREAT caz now we gotta Brother in Belfast!!!Love this lil Citro, Now I GOTTA do sumpthin cool with mine!!! <_<:D;)

Glad I found this place George,the crazy bit is that I work in a car dealership.So I come home and work on cars..... ;)

Great project and wonderfull scratch-building skills Nigel :angry: .

been watchin' your progress and thought i'd chime in.

This'll be fun to watch as it comes together.

Your imagination and skills are top-notch - GLAD YOU FOUND US - HOPE YOU STAY AROUND.

Thank you Dave,I am not a great builder,but I will be around here.A great place.

Edited by arni

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have made progress today on the cv..I needed a completed chassis in order to build the floor...So the chassis tubes were cut to length and once I was happy with the wheelbase the 1:35 HumVee front suspension was fitted.

c4zd5.jpg

Then I made and fitted a couple of tube crossmembers,a third was added later as a front engine mount.

2hn2cdf.jpg

The wheels needed to be modified in order to fit the 1:35 suspension,before and after here.

2zi1q4g.jpg

A mock up of the chassis with the boots on.LOL

25aq3pc.jpg

I made a simple floorpan from styrene sheet,simple enough but it was tricky to fit....The shell was turned upside down and the floor sat in,then the chassis was set in and once happy with everything the floor was tacked in place with styrene cement.

After 5 mins the chassis/floor was removed and a good bead of cement applied to the joints.

bgcw1s.jpg

How the shell looks on the chassis at the mo...

b63mzb.jpg

And a side view,it will sit much lower than this at the front. :)

k1f236.jpg