Model Cars Magazine Forum

You know it's a bad build night...

Guest promodmerc

Guest promodmerc

When you discover the two bottles of flat black (1 Testors & 1 Tamyia) are both no good and you stopped at the hobby shop on the way home to get other paint you needed. B)

Guest snapper

...or when you spill a full bottle of Tenax on your work mat below where you have so carefully laid out all the pieces you are working on (not to mention ruining the mat). That will learn you.

This is a good idea for another related topic. You might need to stop modeling for the night when... B)

How about when you go to spray mold release on a mold you are making and grab the can of spray adhesive instead. Don't laugh. B)

Sorry but I cant help but chuckle at that one. :P

Thats not a bad build night, thats just an annoying build night. A BAD build night is when you slather on the Solvaset to set the decals on your just-finished race car model, only to realize that it WASN'T Solvaset, it was TENAX. ;)

A bad build night is when you slather Micro-Set onto the decals of your just-finished build and suddenly discover you grabbed the decal film bottle by mistake, and the kit isn't even yours....it's supposed to be delivered the next day for box-art photographs and the decals are a gooey mess. If anyone notices that the decklid stripes on the Round 2 Z/28 don't look quite right, now you know why. (black Bare Metal and Gunze pinstripe tape to the rescue!)

You spend a few bucks on a discontinuted kit, wait for a rainy night to get it started, only to discover the body warped, parts missing and the tires are melded into other parts.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Or the corallary to that; Buy the super rare kit and it gets re-released a week later. :lol:

Ah man these had me laughing, now I don't feel like such a clod. Especially the June bug ( :lol: ) and the exacto knife :lol: .

What about when your stripping chrome, and when your rinsing the parts you forget to put the drain plug in and you loose the front grill, mirrors, and antena. I managed to get the grill out of the trap but lots the rest, doh.

"Okay, let's do some building tonight!" So you fire up the airbrush, and after you're done you realize a couple of dust specks have ruined the paint job.

"Okay, let me drill this distributor", and as you do it the pin vise slips and you gouge the side of the distributor. Hmm.

"Okay, let me get the tires for this set of wheels", and you never find the fourth tire after searching for 35 minutes.

"Okay, let me assemble this chassis", and when you're done you notice that there's always one tire off the ground because the chassis is bent.

"Okay, time to sleep". :lol:

I have a story similar to Jantrix'!

I built one of the re-issued Monogram dragsters that Galaxy put out. I had all of the parts painted and decalled. As I was doing final assembly I couldn't find the flat plate that covers the top of the carbs. I looked everywhere! I simply could not find it anywhere! I gave it up for lost. No big deal, it's not a major component and the model still looked fine.

3 YEARS later I am going through some magazines and I find it stuck to the back page of one!!!! It's now well glued to the model.

Obstacles slow me down, mostly figger it out time......

I am in final stages of a favored model and ran into an obstacle which will hold me up, like fitting a rolling front wheel under the fender of a 40 Ford, yet still look lowered and have the stance I want. I expected it to be ready for paint tomorrow, but nooooooooo.......................

But I have another project which occupies less passion and enthusiasm just because it turned out ugly, but it suits me because I have completed most of the work, and getting close to paint. I had just a couple of little things to do, like fabricate an EFI system, valve covers, and interior decorative inside panels for my car, which I call "The Hybrid", a combo AMT 40 Willys couple and AMT 40 Ford fenders, which fit, and so far is going along smoothly. I was sort of hoping that the fabrication would hold me up but it went smoothly, so it will be painted tomorrow.

One car I wanted to finish, and couldn't, and another one I didn't really care about practically put itself together.

That isn't that bad a night, but in my book not the goal I intended.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Ha! Lots of laughs in this thread! :)

You know it's a bad build night... when the GF's bird (cockatiel) is out of his cage, lands on the table, grabs the steering wheel, take off and fly everywhere around the house with your steering wheel in his beak. After a few minutes of running at the bird, he finally land on top of his cage, exhausted (both, the bird and myself...) and you find out he no longer has the steering wheel... Talk about a night searching for a 1/25 steering wheel around the house

Now here's a pic of the monster; beware of those!

0addea3359.jpg

Ha! Lots of laughs in this thread! :)

You know it's a bad build night... when the GF's bird (cockatiel) is out of his cage, lands on the table, grabs the steering wheel, take off and fly everywhere around the house with your steering wheel in his beak. After a few minutes of running at the bird, he finally land on top of his cage, exhausted (both, the bird and myself...) and you find out he no longer has the steering wheel... Talk about a night searching for a 1/25 steering wheel around the house

Now here's a pic of the monster; beware of those!

0addea3359.jpg

LOL! I once had a cat that would steal parts off my table. I thought I was just losing stuff or misplacing it, till one day I moved the bed to shampoo the carpet and found her little stash of parts. The things animals do!