Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beach Comber

Dr. Cranky

:);):lol: I guess you know me too well, Jairus. Actually, no, I built the engine box stock . . . which is fine since the whole thing has so many details . . .

I painted the engine green because I wanted to use up some more body color . . . I was tired of making all my Chevy engines orange or red/orange.

A little variety, you know.

Thank you all for all the comments. Today while waiting for all the washes to dry, I started in on a simple sandy beach base . . . so that the model can be showcased . . . we'll see how everything will go tomorrow.

Once again, your comments always make building all the more fun!!!

Bless y'all!!!

Actually, Kitbash, I think you can try it with the ruddy brown primer, wait for it to dry, and then spraymist some water, add the salt, then put your topcoats on.

In order to achieve more subtle changes and variety to the rust, I've been stippling some reds, orange, and yellows to the rust, then I apply the salt.

For a more detailed explanation check out the issue of MCM where the salt method was originally published.

Good luck and have fun with this technique. :)

Thanks, Harry. You are always on the ball.

Gee, if now I can finish my book, then I can refer everyone to it . . . :);):lol:

Well, my friends, stay tuned in for one final round of in-progress build pics . . . this one is almost finished except for a few details . . . and then I am going to take a round of glamor shots tomorrow . . .

Again, THANK YOU, everyone who cheerlead me on . . . and to Jairus and Harry for keeping me on my toes! :D

Here's a picture of the back with some extra added details just to spice up the story. The notch marks, I guess, are the number of perfect waves this dude has caught. What? Perfect waves in Florida? Yeah, they are if you catch them during the hurricanes!!! :rolleyes:B):lol:

Surf's Up, maties!!!!

IMG_2169-vi.jpg

Here is a round of eye-level pics . . . and tomorrow I will have a surprise in store . . . for those of you who say this is not a diorama!!! :rolleyes:B):lol:

IMG_2171-vi.jpg

Gee, I messed up with that silver Sharpie . . . and I am missing the hatch handle . . . it's funny how things jump out at you in pictures . . . which is a good thing. Good reminder.

IMG_2172-vi.jpg

IMG_2173-vi.jpg

IMG_2175-vi.jpg

Cranky-

When I saw the interior shots on Pg 5 with the junk and magazines, my first thought was "Nice Long Boards". :) Get it?...... I know....I know.....That was dumb! :)

Anywho, great job on the build and I can't wait to see it with the real Longboards in place. You do nice work and I am going to try this method of weathering, sooner or later.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Here are some fun pics you might enjoy . . .

Sometimes a vehicle in the right part of the beach can attract all the right element . . . of course, what's the guy in the leather jacket doing there? He drove over from work to see how the waves were doing and with this much action, he just might change into his wetsuit and . . .

B):P:)

IMG_2180-vi.jpg

I think they are saying, well, you only brought one surfboard . . ..

IMG_2181-vi.jpg

Oh, that's much better . . . but someone has to sit it out . . .

IMG_2184-vi.jpg

Not quite three, but two:

And we're goin' to Surf City, 'cause it's two to one,

You know we're goin' to Surf City, gonna have some fun.

Yeah, we're goin' to Surf City, 'cause it's two to one,

You know we're goin' to Surf City, gonna have some fun, now...

Two girls for every boy... :D