Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kei car models? are there any?

Aoshima, Fujimi and Tamiya have had a number of Kei-class cars over the years, models like the Honda Today, Diahatsu Copen, Suzuki Cappicino or Suzuki Wagon R. Check one of the Japanese retailers like Hobby Link Japan or Hobby Search for listings.

For a definition of Kei cars, check this:

Wikipedia Kei-car article

Edited by Rob Hall

I just cannot believe how the Cube can be admired by anyone! It looks like something that George Barris would have made if he had spent his youth in Japan. My first impression of the Cube was "Clown Car"!

My boss bought one for a company car (school bus) When I found out, I made this crude photo shop, once I stopped laughing! I'm grateful that he finally bought a NEW vehicle to transport kids, but I'm just as grateful that there are other drivers that want to drive it!

Received_03_09_2009181226-vi.jpg

Now you know what the Eco-wackos and Gov. Motors would have us drive.

Gary

I don't know about that, but they seem efficient and spacious in a small package. Not my cup of tea, but lots of buyers like small, efficient cars--I see plenty of Fits, Priuses, Yarises, Versas, xBs, etc in my daily commute..the Soul seems to be catching on as well.

Edited by Rob Hall

Now you know what the Eco-wackos and Gov. Motors would have us drive.

Gary

Hey Gary, That comment is just plain rude. (besides the fact we are all trying to leave politics out of the forum) I like small cars! I always have. I freely choose them. I have owned an original Mini. I thought this was the land of the free. I am free to pick small cars if I want them. My mother drives an XB and I think it is a great little vehicle. I would get one myself if I could afford one. Maybe in a few years when they hit the well-used market. I don't need to drive a pair of sofas on wheels to assert my manhood! :)

I think the Cube looked better before they imported it.

The Bumpers look wrong.

Good looking Beat there Mr Mike.

I got slowed down on the Leeza when trying to make some fender flares.

Didn't go too well so far.

Back in box till later.ish.

Just noticed my Kcar sellection is a Numbered series.

I wonder what the other # cars were?

Can't find any Info on them.

Any body have the missing cars?

We haven't heard from Brandon if these are any of the cars he's looking for.

Found some on

http://shop.ebay.com/simontack8tvw/m.html?...4&_osacat=0

I think the Cube looked better before they imported it.

The Bumpers look wrong.

Good looking Beat there Mr Mike.

I got slowed down on the Leeza when trying to make some fender flares.

Didn't go too well so far.

Back in box till later.ish.

Just noticed my Kcar sellection is a Numbered series.

I wonder what the other # cars were?

Can't find any Info on them.

Any body have the missing cars?

We haven't heard from Brandon if these are any of the cars he's looking for.

Found some on

http://shop.ebay.com/simontack8tvw/m.html?...4&_osacat=0

x2 my friend is in the process of doing a japanese JDM conversion once were done taking all the US spec safety garbage off well install a Garson kit on it. we also found a body kit that makes the front clip look like those classic econoline vans. as for kits you can find them on ebay if you know their names

Hey Gary, That comment is just plain rude. (besides the fact we are all trying to leave politics out of the forum) I like small cars! I always have. I freely choose them. I have owned an original Mini. I thought this was the land of the free. I am free to pick small cars if I want them. My mother drives an XB and I think it is a great little vehicle. I would get one myself if I could afford one. Maybe in a few years when they hit the well-used market. I don't need to drive a pair of sofas on wheels to assert my manhood! :lol:

x2 hot girls seem to dig them my friend drives a semi tricked cube and a tricked XB and theres never a shortage of pretty girls when hes driving. at least youre not fronting with a V6 camaro or stang.

wow i was gone 2 days, and bam, i got alot of answers thank you guys! i greatly appreciate the help!

george, the "kei" car is a type of automobile that is gov. limited to a 660cc 3 cylinder engine and its also limited on a top speed of 95mph or so, and they are also limited on there height, witdh, and length! its to meet japan's regulations!

rob hall, thank you for the info, and i already know about the wiki site about the kei cars, but they don't list them all! but thank you, i greatly appreciate the help!

and yeah harry your right on that, but they don't look like "cartoon cars" except that new nissan cube! yuck! LOL!

el destructo, really? cool! would you happen to have a link for them?

road hawg, i wouldn't call it one here, cause the us-market one has a bigger engine, and its slightly bigger in size than the jdm-market one!

Mr. mike, thats a sweet honda beat! good job on it! i really like the mugen/back yard special front bumper on it! its a nice touch!

Spyder, thats a funny pic, i have seen that on the net before, but i don't remember where. lol! and to me the only thing "cool" about the cube is the rear-wrap-around-window! its really sweet. and it eliminates that blind spot too!

hey Rob, your right about them picking up! they are very nice in alot of ways! but please for the love of god, never mention that "ugly-p.o.s.-hybrid-that does more damage than a normal gas car-prius". that has to be the most awful car EVER! and seriously think about it, the batteries,etc. they put in the car to make it the "hybrid" will do more damage to the earth than a gas-guzzeling hummer! and i am not lying about that, lol! and please don't take what i just typed in the wrong maner, i am not arguing with you, but i am stating the facts about that horrid car!

hey modelmartin, AMEN!!!!!, i prefer small-tiny cars anyday! i never felt comfertable riding or driving a big car! it seems ungodly useless! lol, i love a tiny car, you can park them anywhere, you can drive them though a store, and almost do anything with them! heck, i have seen a video of a daihatsu charade with an evo engine beat a 1300hp skyline! ITS A MONSTER I TELL YOU! lol!

and hey ZUKI, sorry i haven't been on in a while, i haven't been felling well, and i also was helping a friend move too, and he is also going through some problems of his own, he told me that his parents disowned him! Dang, that is harsh! i am sorry i haven't been on awhile, My-Bad!

hey lownslow, what car is it? and got any pics? lol!

Thank you for all the help everyone, i greatly appreciate it! it means alot to me!

Something like these?

PB070002.jpg

PB070003.jpg

OMG! its the mother load!!!!!! wow, nice collection on the kei cars! dang i wish i had those, lol :lol: ! and oh, man can i ask something, can you take pics of the 6kits on the top left? those are some of the ones i am looking for, and if you can take pics of them, so i know what the boxes look like, i will greatly appreciate it! thank you!

and oh, i am going to make a list of the cars i am looking for, and also i am going to make a photobucket of pics of the cars i am looking for too!

i tell ya, i got bitten by the "kei" bug, and i am having a real blast looking at these cool tiny cars! LOL

HEY! that Leeza Z On the top left looks familiar.....

here is a completed Honda Beat:

Aftermarket Aoshima wheels & a little ride height adjustment in the front. other than those, it's built out of the box.

looks good! I have a set of those wheels, I don't know what car to put them on yet. I kinda like the Suzuki Alto. Or maybe the Midget II, which is even smaller. :lol:

The Suzuki Alto I built-ish.

90% done-ish :lol:

HWJApan3.jpg

Altomodel-1.jpg

ModelUnimogAlto-11.jpg

And a Link to where I recently found some for ya.

http://shop.ebay.com/simontack8tvw/m.html?...#item53ddf2b87a

I picked mine up from HLJ (Hobby Link Japan) when they were avilaible.

And Yes, I have a Midget II truck Too :lol:

And that is why you end up with a stock pile of kits.

Ya gotta get what is out b-4 they are no longer out there.