Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercury Comet GT

I know Keith Marks makes decals for the Johan kit to make a 71-74 Mercury Comet GT. Does anyone make a stock interior and stock hood for the Johan Pro Stock Kit? I don't think Johan ever made a stock Mercury Comet? Thanks

Dave i think johan did for the 1st issue 71...let's see if i can gather the parts & cast what you need...dont be in any hurries..got production trouble with a kit i promised already!

Dave i think johan did for the 1st issue 71...let's see if i can gather the parts & cast what you need...dont be in any hurries..got production trouble with a kit i promised already!

Yep, the first release was the only one with the stock hood, interior, and a 6 cylinder engine!

Good luck on finding one of those releases at a reasonable price though. The last one I saw on eBay went for over $100.00.

I'm interested in a stock hood and an interior bucket that has the correct rear seat & door panels but doesn't have the molded in front bench seat myself. I have 2 1972 Comet GTs and wouldn't mind making replicas of them.

-Scott H.

Edited by Scott H. AKA Cpt. Bondo

Drog, No, JoHan NEVER made a STOCK 70/71 Comet. Only the drag version you see. The Maverick WAS first released as a STOCK kit, with full interior an 6 cyl. engine. Then they came out with the Drag version with the Scooped hood,and gutted interior. If you cross bash the original Maverick kit, with the Comet Pro stock kit, you CAN come up with a stock Comet,if you mod the hood, but it'll still have the wrong interior pattern. But that's about the only way to get a STOCK Comet. If someone does make a resin kit of it, I'm not aware of it. It WOULD be nice though. :lol:;)

Drog, No, JoHan NEVER made a STOCK 70/71 Comet. Only the drag version you see. The Maverick WAS first released as a STOCK kit, with full interior an 6 cyl. engine. Then they came out with the Drag version with the Scooped hood,and gutted interior. If you cross bash the original Maverick kit, with the Comet Pro stock kit, you CAN come up with a stock Comet,if you mod the hood, but it'll still have the wrong interior pattern. But that's about the only way to get a STOCK Comet. If someone does make a resin kit of it, I'm not aware of it. It WOULD be nice though. :D;)

I hate to tell ya, but there was a Replica Stock '71 Comet from JoHan, complete with the 6 -banger, and factory trim. The only shortcoming with the kit is that it had Maverick wheelcovers. I know, a friend of mine has one, and I have been trying to get it cast in resin for a Comet GT Project.

I hate to tell ya, but there was a Replica Stock '71 Comet from JoHan, complete with the 6 -banger, and factory trim. The only shortcoming with the kit is that it had Maverick wheelcovers. I know, a friend of mine has one, and I have been trying to get it cast in resin for a Comet GT Project.

If you all can wait i'll just cast the whole kit!

Kevin with the projects in front of me I can wait for you to cast the whole kit. I think I can use bucket seats from a Mustang/Cyclone kit etc to make the Comet into a GT. I ordered the 71-72 GT decals from Keith Marks. So looking forward to it. Just let me and all of us know how you are progressing.

Hey Kevin you want the CORRECT wheel covers for this?when you do it,I have a mint promo I'll lone ya!

CORRECT WHEEL COVERS!!!! yep i'll borrow them! it wont be long...just got the 64 galaxie 4 door in this week..it goes in the molds next week!

CORRECT WHEEL COVERS!!!! yep i'll borrow them! it wont be long...just got the 64 galaxie 4 door in this week..it goes in the molds next week!
Ok let me know when you need it,and i'll send you the whole car,but i'll need it back sometime,very expensive promo by the way!

can you get the wheels off it? just send them
Kevin it will be alot easier to just send you the whole car,that way it won't be lost in the mail,Like I said the Comet is mint,and I'm not going to take anything off it,I'll leave that up to you,as you guys there are better at getting things taking apart ,send me a PM off here!But I will send you the car to use!

Thanks for the donation of the Comet for all of us.
Not a problem,now disabled modeler,was the kit you have you bought new ,so to speak the one that went for $152 on the fee pay?you know the Green Mr,Gasket prostock or stock version?the original from late 1971,or 1972!I had that kit,and it is nearly impossible for that to happen,simple fact,that hood is packed way down in the bottom of the box!I'm also disabled with heart trouble at the age of 36 and I still pay for my stuff,or atleast make an attempt to do a good trade with some one,my oppinion ,on this comment you made,and your screen name is to try and get stuff for free from people like us all on here ,well you have to trade or do something else to get stuff from people,as as far as the Comet promo ,I will be sending that to Kevin as soon as I can,maybe within the next few days,so WE all can BUY and BUILD a factory stock 71-72 Comet,and please you other guys don't think I was being mean,I was just making a point,by the way,my Holy Grail model kit is a mint 73 Dodge Truck!send me one!

Steve Ketterer :D

• 1 month later...

Kevin with the projects in front of me I can wait for you to cast the whole kit. I think I can use bucket seats from a Mustang/Cyclone kit etc to make the Comet into a GT. I ordered the 71-72 GT decals from Keith Marks. So looking forward to it. Just let me and all of us know how you are progressing.

your interior tub is ready! email me direct, kawifreek@msn.com

• 2 weeks later...

If one would build a Comet GT from the JoHan Pro street kit or from an upcoming resin release are these the correct Comet GT wheels? I found these on Time Machine Resin's sight. They look correct. http://www.timemachineresin.bravehost.com/7071mercurydogdishlarver.jpg

No, those wheels were not the factory issued wheels on a Comet GT.. The Comet GT had Mercury Dog Dish Caps with Trim Rings. Believe it or not, the '62 Mercury Full Wheel Cover center is real close to the dog dish caps used on the Comet.

There has been a discussion,and If you have any of the MPC late 70's ford vans,the unplated stock wheels in those kits are the same for the Comet GT,but it is only the MPC kits,the AMT kits have the full wheel covers in some of them,used also in the full size cars,I used to have the "SUN RUNNER"79 Ford van by MPC,it was molded in Yellow ,and it had the wheels everyones looking for for the Comet GT.............hope this helps.........................Steve Ketterer