Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ultimate Engine List

The only 351W's I know of out there are in the AMT '92 Ford pickup variants (LB, Flareside and Lightning) or in the R-M 98 Shelby s-351.

The R-M one is nicer, but these both have serpentine belt and fuel injection setups.

Going with a v-belt setup wouldn't be too bad, would just have to scrounge the parts box for some accessories and pulleys.

Getting carbureted will take some work- a carburetor manifold from a 289 or 302 would be the best starting point, but if it's scale correct, it will have to be widened to meet up with the heads on a 351W. That's the biggest difference- the 351W is wider across the top than the 289/302. Otherwise the bigger Windsor is going to look the same. Well, the 351W is also a touch wider across the bottom than the other two, but it's a small enough difference that it won't matter in scale.

this puppy right here

IMG00024-20091129-0913.jpg

IMG00029-20091129-1943.jpg

IMG00028-20091129-1942.jpg

desoto firedome hemi engine

i pulled this one from the modified stockers "hauler"

53 ford pickup with trailer

the engine comes with the log manifold or as i build it , fuel injected with 8 velocity stacks

Edited by diymirage

Ford

Flathead - Revell 1940 Standard coupe.

289 - Monogram 1965 Mustang 2+2

302 - Monogram 1970 Boss 302

331 - AMT 58 Edsel

390 - AMT 62 Thunderbird

427 - Revell Parts Pack or AMT 1960 Ford

427 - SOHC AMT 69 Ford Galaxie XL

427 SOHC '66 galaxie

428 CJ

429 Boss '70 Mustang

I don't think it could get better.... :):lol:

I just finished reading Thomas Bonsall's book "Disaster In Dearborn" and the standard engine in the base Edsels (Ranger and Pacer) was an FE that was 361 cubes, as opposed to the 360 I mentioned earlier. Also, the smallest effie was the 332, not 331. Hope this clears things up. :)

Best engines? I've got a few favorites.

Warning- my biases may show a bit! :o

Chevy

350- no.

383- no.

454- no.

502- none in scale that I know of, though a 454 could be a stand in.

572- see '502'

Corvette’s Family- not a family I belong to B)

There is a nice 265 in the '55 Cameo, and a nice parts pack 283 from AMT. They're about the only SBCs I use.

Ford

Flathead- AMT '49 Merc, AMT '34 Ford, Lindberg '53 Fords, Revell '40 Ford Coupes (stock or rod), Revell '32 Ford Tudor.

289- New tool AMT '67 Mustangs

302- Revell '32 Fords and Mercury Cougar XR-7

331- Uh... if you mean three FIFTY one, the AMT F-150s have a nice 351, though it's pretty much indistinguishable from the 260/289/302 (in 1/25 scale, anyhow).

347- Never heard of a 347... a stroker, perhaps?

427- For the standard FE version, I'd go with the Revell '64 T-Bolt/Fairlane. The Revell Parts pack version is also great. For the Cammer, I'd go with either the one in the AMT '33 Willys Coupe or Panel, or the ones in the '66 Galaxie, '68 Shelby GT500, or '69 Galaxie.

Ford Inline Six- Anything ever kitted, from the AMT and Johan 170's (or the resin repops thereof), or Ken Kitchen's Flathead I-6.

Dodge

426 Hemi- Anything EXCEPT the old AMT stuff, or the Lindberg '72 Challenger.

340 V8- AMT '71 Duster

426 V8- '64 Plymouth by Lindberg, or the wild Ross Gibson 'Sonoramic' Version

Slant Six- Lindberg '64 Plymouth (best scale slant sixer EVER)!

Pontiac

400- Revell '68 Firebird... since the Pontiac mill didn't change much over the years, the Revell '66 GTO or the AMT '62 Catalina or Parts Pack 421 could stand in for a 400.

Cadillac- Revell '49 Merc, Revell Parts Pack

Buick- AMT '66 Riviera 425 Nailhead V8

Oddballs

AMT '53/'64 Studebaker V8

AMT '41 Plymouth Flathead I-6

Unfortunately, the only MEL available is in the '65 Lincoln, but with a bit of TLC, it can be used for the 383, 410 and 430.

I believe the AMT '25 Model T came with a 430 MEL. The '66-'67 AMT Lincoln annuals had a better version of the MEL (stock only) but good luck finding one today! I think Missing Link did a resin repop of the 462.

The Chevys are tough. First of all there is no physical externel difference between any of the Small Block chevies from the 283 to the 350. The only way to tell the difference is to measure the bore & stroke. Some of the old wrenches could tell by looking at the flywheel end of the crankshaft. (which is not a detail in with the trans already attached.) There is only one difference between the 350 and the 400. The 400 has 6 freeze plugs, where the 350 (and smaller) have 4. (2 per side) Chevy never produced a 383 from the factory. The 383 is a .030 over 350 with a 400 crank installed. Actually, the same goes for the Big Blocks as well. From the 396 to the 454, the block is the same basic casting. The heads are all the same castings as well. The only way to tell the difference in a model would be to look at the decal that the model builder slid on the aircleaner. The factory valve covers on the 502 are a little squarer than the 454, but once again still the same basic block and heads. The 572 has got those wonderful valve covers, but the rest is the same. For myself, the engine in the Tony Foti LAPD Pro-Mod Camaro is one of the best race motors out there. I think I've got about 6 of those kits just for the motors. (Hmmm...probably be easier to just cast the stupid thing at this point.)

I only know enough about the other brands to be dangerous. (too myself).

Aoshima has seperate engine part sets, as well as some coming in kits.

Nissan RB20DETT - C33 Laurel & A31 Cefiro

Nissan RB26DETT - R32 Skyline (will also work with Laurel and Cefiro, all three use the same chassis)

Nissan VG30ET - Y30 Cedric

Nissan SR20 - PS13 Silvia (may fit the S15 with modification)

Valve cover differnece is because 502's are based off the mark V/VI engine. The blocks changed considerably also. And yes, it's noticable. The 400's also have bumps in the side of the block to allow water flow around the cylinders due to the bigger bores. Also they use a thicker balancer. And I thought (could be wrong) that some of the last F-body Camaros, late 90's maybe, there was an option for a 383 stroker from the factory? RPO 51 rings a bell, but probably not it.

That's right, I had forgotten about the balancer. Thanks for the reminder. The Mk V/VI point leads me to a question. The 572 is based from the 502 architechure right?

For the 4 banger guys, remember the Dodge/Plymouth turbos from the 80s? I don't know of a kit for it, but it was a power house, especially when massaged.

The Mopar list didn't include the late 50's 350 & 361 B block, but as some pointed out, how do you tell the difference between a 361 & a 440, especially in model form.

Gary