Model Cars Magazine Forum

Link to Brochure for any American car

I try not too. ;)

Then I find this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate this is inaccurate and that is inaccurate

and never get anything built.

The time you spent putting together that post could have been spent building... ;)

Yeah, probably could have built a whole model. :lol:

But it's true, I have a whole bench full of dead in the water kits because I peeked at referance materials, and found inaccuracies. Then it starts, well I could just fix that and this pretty easily, well I am at it I might as well fix this, oh and that.

Now that I have made all these other corrections I have to do this this and that otherwise it will all look out of place. Eventaully, I will get to something that needs correcting so it all looks like it's supposed but not have the skills or solution to correct it. What do you do then?

Start another kit.

Eventually after a few started kits and nothing finished I start feeling quilty and stop starting kits. Then nothing gets done.

I figure if I just don't look I wont be tempted to start correcting stuff because I always get sucked into fixing the whole blood thing.

Edited by CAL

that sure sounds like all the Mr. Micrometers we get at the shows..the pick everything apart without ever suppling any usefull info...

I have come to the realization you just have to build it for what it is to the best of your abilities. I aways learn something and the next one is always better than the last one.

Thanks for the reference material.

If I ever try to build a STOCK car - I'll be sure to use it.

I like looking at a stock kit and seeing how I can "clean it up" no chrome/emblems(I know what it is) cut this and move that. suddenly stock isn't possible.

But thanks for the reference!

Edited by seeker589

Here's a link to a website that has brochures for American cars from the early 1900s.  It includes manufactures brochures as well as brochures from companies that had cars in them like Goodyear, Hertz, & Avis. Check it out!

Gary

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch1.html

Brochures can be a very useful reference tool, but I learned many years ago to not take them as the final authority, particularly when referencing cars of the 50's or 60's--the simple reason that the print lead times back then often dictated that photographs and artists' renderings of those new cars were being taken/done months before the new car reached the dealer's showroom. Thus, there can be errors, errors in exterior trim (often times the final decisions locking up chrome side trim on cars, even the grille, didn't get made until almost the last minute). The same has been true with interior patterns.

Another problem was the technique of the artists who painted those gorgeous brochure and advertising images, as well as advertising photography studios--they tended to elongate (stretch, if you will) the proportions of the cars they were doing brochure images for, to make them look longer, wider and lower (both to the ground and overall height), to enhance the image that US car buyers expected, longer, lower, wider cars. The legendary Boulevard Photographic Studios was a prime example, even to the point of having custom-made lenses ground, inventing their own conversions for the cameras they used, in order to deliberately "distort" the length and width of the cars they were photographing for dealer brochures and print advertising. Boulevard did photography for all of the marques of the Big Three at one time, and if you look closely at their photographs in brochures closely, you can see that they stretched the image photographically, to the point that wheels were shown ever-so-slightly "egg shaped". This was well documented in a book on the company that Tom Lowe had in our research library when I worked at Playing Mantis several years ago.

Still though, dealer brochures can be a great help in accurizing a model, but I would suggest using them along with as many photographs taken with normal camera's, to avoid these deviations.

Art

Good reference but I agree with Art. Also, the brochures sometimes got updated or revised. For example, for the 1958 Ford Custom/Custom 300 large deluxe catalog, there was the initial release dated 9-57, then a revision dated 10-57, and another one dated 12-57. For the '58 Fairlane/Fairlane 500 large deluxe catalog there was the initial 9-57 version, then a 12-57 revision, and a late one dated 3-58. Ford did a great job dating their brochures/catalogs and also gave them form numbers while other makers weren't so diligent. Sometimes the revisions were major such as a model getting dropped or added and sometimes it was a very minor specification change in the fine print listing engine or tire specs. And sometimes they didn't make changes, especially in later years.

Collecting new car literature is a sickness right up there with model cars........."You have HOW MANY unbuilt kits??!!?"

And just as fun. Plus the justification is there: "I need the reference..."

Kerry

Chiming into Art Anderson's well put post , I have to add that through out history Ford was famous almost to a fault about adding and deleting certain things that never made it to any catalouge except to the poor parts counter man sheets ! Case in point has to be Ford trucks where in the yokes of the driveshafts were changed 5 TIMES in 1970 alone ! Hey, I bet Chuck Most has seen this situation several times . Meanwhile, the paints from Chrysler changed , remember them Muscle boys ? Common , rivet counters , RELAX , BUILD SOMETHING AND SHARE IT WITH US !!!! Ed Shaver

CAL has me pegged, I think! I'm always fretting that I need more reference material! That is how my obsession for collecting car photos started. Eventually collecting photos became a bigger hobby of mine then building models! But WTH, I enjoy both.

I also have projects that have died waiting for the hunt for more reference material to continue. Not too many people bother to photograph entire car chassis. Going 50+ pages deep in a Google Image search is not unheard of for me. And yet, there is something enjoyable about it.

Meantime, everyone is welcome to have a look at my Fotki pages. Most photos are arranged alphabetically by title. Most car brands have their own album.

Enjoy!

http://public.fotki.com/JCole/

Chiming into Art Anderson's well put post , I have to add that through out history Ford was famous almost to a fault about adding and deleting certain things that never made it to any catalouge except to the poor parts counter man sheets ! Case in point has to be Ford trucks where in the yokes of the driveshafts were changed 5 TIMES in 1970 alone ! Hey, I bet Chuck Most has seen this situation several times . Meanwhile, the paints from Chrysler changed , remember them Muscle boys ? Common , rivet counters , RELAX , BUILD SOMETHING AND SHARE IT WITH US !!!! Ed Shaver

I totally agree with Ed about Ford. You can take ten Fords of the same model and not one would have the same parts on them. I still love my Fords though.