Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

amt 1970.5 chevy camaro

Iv'e been lusting after a nice 2nd gen camaro for awhile, so i bought the amt version, i was going to splurge and get the lindburg kit, but i was at hobby lobby and i had to have it :lol::blink:

Detail is extinct on this kit, pretty much everywhere. Any body have any ideas as to what i can do to spruce it up a bit?

thanks,Jeff

Jeff,

One thing that I found out the hard way with my first build of this kit.... In the center of the roof where the dome light was molded in , you will find a slight sinkhole . Sand it out or fill it . I did'nt find mine until after it had been painted! ;) The kit itself goes together rather smoothly , you'll enjoy it .

The Old Man

AMT has two tools of the 70 1/2 Camaro, an old tool and one from the 90's. It sounds like you have the first kit. The newer tool is much nicer.

Yeah he must have the older one, because mine is the newer tool an it's pretty nice. Just now started on it so i don't know how well it will go together, but I'm gonna find out :(

You know that Model King re-issued the improved '70 Camaro Z/28 also, and I mention it because the decal sheet is loaded with 4 colors of rally stripes, plates, gauges and racing numbers and sponsers. Plus, it is molded in white plastic. It might be harder to find at this point and the price is higher than the new one in orange.

Jeff, if the kit you happen to have is kit number 6896 junk it! It's a REAL peice of Doo-Doo. If you have the more recent issue,kit number 30086, THAT'S the REALLY NICE kit! That's the kit that was recently reissued in the Orange plastic. Either one of those newer kits are the one to have. :lol::P

Is the newer tool the one Round 2 just re-issued in Orange plastic?

I hope so since that is the one I just bought. :lol:

Yes i'm pretty sure it is, because that's what I have. Mines molded in orange also and on the box it says 2009.

Heres some pics:

100_1977.jpg

100_1978.jpg

You might have to zoom in on this one to see the "2009"

100_1982.jpg

100_1977.jpg

I have the same kit and IMO this is the best 70 Camaro kit around.

I decided to leave mine in the orange molded color, because it looks close to the Hugger Orange.

Decal sheet is very nice has the Z/28 emblems, breather decal, two stripe colors(black, white), dash gauges.

I chose to use the white stripes.

So all in all I give a thumbs up on this reissue and was well worth my money spent...

I decided to leave mine in the orange molded color, because it looks close to the Hugger Orange.

Decal sheet is very nice has the Z/28 emblems, breather decal, two stripe colors(black, white), dash gauges.

I chose to use the white stripes.

So all in all I give a thumbs up on this reissue and was well worth my money spent...

I was thinkin' about leaving it that color, but i also thought that flat or semi-gloss black would look good on it with the black stripes (kinda like ghost stripes). I dunno might keep it orange, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :lol:

Edited by vizio93

I just finished this kit a few days ago.Once I got over the lack of chrome, the kit was a very nice build.There are no real issues w/ the kit other than the afore mentioned dimple where the dome light is located..I built mine as a an early 1990's style heads up street racer.Overall this is a very enjoyable kit to build in my opinion.It makes a very nicely detailed kit w/ some detail painting and some BMF applied.

Here's the link to my build if you want to see one completed......

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25787

Sam

I just finished this kit a few days ago.Once I got over the lack of chrome, the kit was a very nice build.There are no real issues w/ the kit other than the afore mentioned dimple where the dome light is located..I built mine as a an early 1990's style heads up street racer.Overall this is a very enjoyable kit to build in my opinion.It makes a very nicely detailed kit w/ some detail painting and some BMF applied.

Here's the link to my build if you want to see one completed......

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25787

Sam

Yeah I remember seeing that thread. You did a really nice job with it Sam. Is the dimple really that noticeable or....

Yeah I remember seeing that thread. You did a really nice job with it Sam. Is the dimple really that noticeable or....

Billy ,

Only after you apply the paint ! ;) What saved me , a buddy suggested using a water based black wash to highlight the door seams. I questioned whether it would come off, the answer was , Yes !When I went to wipe it off , it did'nt come off all the way , it streaked. So , into the brake fluid it went .

Second round action involved sanding out the dimple and using a rapiodliner pen for the seams which works like a dream. If you boo boo , it comes right off with a little bit of water. As usual , lessons learned ! ;)

The Old Man