Model Cars Magazine Forum

2009 Ford Mustang GT

mrmike

I happen to love these Revell Mustang kits. They are easy to build and to detail and accept a lot of modifications easily. I've had this particuliar kit in my stash for a while now and was influenced to build based on some pictures I found on Google Images of Chip Foose's Stallion Mustang.

GT001.jpg

My neighbor's son had gotten a Bullitt Mustang kit for Christmas and had attempted to spray the body dark green and the result was a messed up body with many paint runs and poor coverage. I traded the body from my Mustang kit for his and taught him the proper technique of painting with a spray can. I know he was a bit discouraged with his first attempt at painting, but hopefully he now knows the proper way to paint and will try again. I took the painted body and threw it into the purple pond to soak overnight and this morning I sanded the body down to this. I will give the body a couple good coats of primer.

GT002.jpg

I will use the left over decals from Revell's '70 Boss 302, a set of Pegasus 23" Chrome T's, and Model Master Grabber Orange lacquer.

GT003.jpg

I am thinking of using the hood scoop from AMT's '66 Mustang kit and will modify the rear spoiler from the Revell Mustang kit into a flush mount spoiler. Let's see what I can make of this.....

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

I'm working on the 2006 GT500-H version of that kit now. I was really shocked when everything fit so well. I am still working on painting the body, monkeyed that up. So its soaking now.....

Be that as it may, I am getting the other kits based off the same kit. They just come out really nice.

How well do those 23's fill the wheel wells?

Those 23's fill the wheel wells very well, especially when I lower the suspension. I have a technique for lowering these Mustangs, but I now have a better way to mock up the wheels in the fenders to set the ride height. I'll post that when I get to that stage of the build.

A little progress to report.....I found a hood scoop in my parts box. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but it'll do since it is a FoMoCo hood scoop.

GT004.jpg

I turned the wing spoiler into a flush mount spoiler by sanding down the ends of the spoiler and removing the mounting tabs.

GT005.jpg

More primer and sanding is ahead!

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

Thanks guys!

Very nice looking Mustang. When will you start the lowering on the suspension. Never have done that before and am looking forward too your process. Maybe I will learn something.

Brian46

Brian, I'll start the suspension when the rest of the model is almost complete. I like having the interior and chassis in place when I start modifying the suspension. This will give me a true sense of the car height when mocking up the wheels and tires inside the wheelwells and fenders.

looking good!!!

i was gonna suggest the BOSS429 scoop anyway!!

B)

If I remember correctly, this hood scoop came from the AMT 1987 Ford Mustang GT kit. It is considerable smaller than the Boss 429 hood scoop. Here's a pic of the Mustang GT I built a couple of years ago with the Boss 429 hood scoop. As you can see, it is considerable larger.

2006FordMustangGT-22-1.jpg

Edited by mrmike

Thank you Greg!

The wife is in bed with a cold and the house is quiet so I found myself in my hobby room working on my Mustang before I turn in for the night. I finished the chassis minus the rotors which I'll install later when the Mustang is nearly complete.

GT012.jpg

GT013.jpg

GT014.jpg

The interior is next!

More to come.....

Thanks guys! I finished the interior last night.

GT021.jpg

While searching for parts for my next project, i found these side louvers from a Revell '65 Mustang, ao I grabbed my can of paint and painted them.

GT017.jpg

I was recently told that I was a brave man for modifying a freshly painted body. Well, I did it again! I elongated the window opening slightly to fit the louver.

GT018.jpg

I think it looks pretty good!

GT019.jpg

More to come.....