Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AIR COMPRESSORS

LOL one i have scares the %$#@ out of me everytime it turns on.I just picked up a 7 gal air tank at walmart for $5 couldnt pass it up!

No kidding, its bad enough when you are using it so kind of expecting it. I left mine on by accident one time and was out in the garage at night looking for something when out of the blue that thing kicked on, I almost keeled over right there. After climbing back down out of the rafters and a few choice words I unplugged that little B)

• 2 weeks later...

Holy smokes! I finally got all the accesories I needed for the compressor so I finally fired it up for the first time tonight for its 30 minute break-in procedure. It's louder than an airplane taking off! Are all the Campbell Hausfield compressors this loud? I seriously am not sure if I can like with the noise this thing makes, although I'm sure it's a fine compressor. I have a wife who works long hours and cannot be woken up, and I've got a baby on the way in a few months and there's no way I can run this thing when either will be in the house.

Any reasonably priced, quiet alternatives? The one i have now has a one-gallon tank; does it fill up quickly so the thing will shut off fast?

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

Holy smokes! I finally got all the accesories I needed for the compressor so I finally fired it up for the first time tonight for its 30 minute break-in procedure. It's louder than an airplane taking off! Are all the Campbell Hausfield compressors this loud? I seriously am not sure if I can like with the noise this thing makes, although I'm sure it's a fine compressor. I have a wife who works long hours and cannot be woken up, and I've got a baby on the way in a few months and there's no way I can run this thing when either will be in the house.

Any reasonably priced, quiet alternatives? The one i have now has a one-gallon tank; does it fill up quickly so the thing will shut off fast?

lol Sounds like you got the same one I do. I haven't used it much, but when I first turned it on I was shocked. I wanted a small portable one that could be used more than just models. I don't know if I will use it for models now that I know how loud it is! It is louder than the 30 gal. Craftsman out in the garage! I'm almost tempted just to use that (it's actually my brother's).

I don't know if all C-H air compressors are that loud. I would hope not. You didn't have to have it on for 30 minutes. The instructions on mine said it only needed 5 minutes for break in. I left it in the garage while I ran it. After 5 minutes my ears were ringing! Definitely keep it at a distance when using it!

The little air compressor will fill up to 100 PSI if you leave it run and then shut off. When the PSI gets low enough it will start up again. It takes a couple minutes to get to 100 PSI. One gallon sure doesn't go far, though. I was actually surprised how quick it emptied. I was used to the 30 gallon Craftsman. It's not too bad when using the airbrush, though.

I have a 2 gallon and a 25 gallon CH compressor. They are both in the nosy side. They will quieten down a little after break in though. Not much.

One reason they make so much noise is because they are direct drive. Motor hooks straight to the compressors rod. All compressors made like this tend to be noisy compared to the other types that use belts to drive the compressors.

They make them like that so they can be sealed up and there's no oil to change in these types of compressors.