Model Cars Magazine Forum

Repro Satco Tires

Nice looking castings! What material are you using? I've been doing a few tire castings myself, mainly for my own use and for a few local buddies, any tips would be appreciated.

All rubber is done with Alumilte Flex. Besides my resin/rubber lines, I am also a distributor for Alumilite.

Ma's Resin

Good luck with your projects!

Alan, will you be reducing the ID of your master? The AMT tire scales out at a rim diameter of 19.5"!!! LOL

Hey Jeff - all of the Satco & other off-road tires are being made as original. They can be made with different ID sizes on request. :(

• 4 months later...

Really digging these, but I must ask- any plans to repop the Bogger TSLs from the Aoshima '95 Toyota pickup kit?

I have a few large swamper tires in the works. I don't know where they are originally from but one is a TSL. Pics will be posted soon.

Also coming soon......my first kit....the photoetch is in the works....hint...Andrea Doria.

I have a few large swamper tires in the works. I don't know where they are originally from but one is a TSL. Pics will be posted soon.

Also coming soon......my first kit....the photoetch is in the works....hint...Andrea Doria.

Hmmm.........That WILL be interesting Alan! To keep everyone in suspense, that's the one that the public never saw except on the pages of magazines due to the "Andrea Doria". :)

Also, if you want to know where Chrysler got the wild styling themes of the 1960-'61 models, you need to look no further than this car. :P

Edited by MrObsessive

I'm confused with all these tires and the ones shown on your website, Alan. Will your tires fit wheels that come in different kits. Those Pirelli P7 tires look pretty good. The prices I found were to order prints of the pics. Why would I want that?

I'm confused with all these tires and the ones shown on your website, Alan. Will your tires fit wheels that come in different kits. Those Pirelli P7 tires look pretty good. The prices I found were to order prints of the pics. Why would I want that?

All of the tires will fit wheels from 1/24th or 1/25th kits. Each tire has the size of the I.D. listed on the price list so you can find the right size wheel to match in a kit, parts box, etc. Most of the tires are from the old Satco line & some are from old kits. The price list & order instructions are in the album labeled "Currently available items". Let me know if you have any other questions.

Al, would you mind sharing some casting tips? I've got a friend who is passionate about semis & enjoys building contest-winning model semi trucks. He felt that some of the tires in certain AMT and Italeri kits were inaccurate, so he mastered his own 1/25 semi truck tires, (drive and steer axle). He’s having problems casting them because the Alumilite Flex sets up way too quickly for him to get the results he wants. I don't know all the inside details, but he has cast other items (with regular Alumilite IIRC) and they've turned out fine. He won't be selling the tires as he intends to use them solely on his personal projects.

Any tips on helping him improve his casts would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Monty:

The pot life is about 5 minutes with the Flex. I haven't had any problems with it setting up too fast. Usually I can pour 8-10 molds depending on the size of the tire. Is his setting up faster than this? There isn't any way to slow it down either as you don't want to chill it like regular resin. Any idea how many he tries to pour at once? Maybe he's over mixing? Have him email me for more help if necessary.