Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi R8 Gt3

chris coller

Ok after doing some research and finding this car unresistable to build I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl. Hobby Design has this kit in resin and want an absorbant amount of money for it(around $240 shipped)So I will test my abilities as a modeler. I started with Revell's version of the R8 ($12 at AC MOORE w/ coupon)

I cut out the side intake vents, removed an area in the hood for the cooling vents, also cut out the areas behind the rear wheels for air flow/down force. Extended the front fender wells like on the 1:1 car.

I robbed parts from mt Mercedes CLK (the wing, wheels/tires) The seat is out of a Ferrari FXX. Here's what I got so far

set11274.jpg

set11275.jpg

set11276.jpg

set11277.jpg

I'd have to say so far so excellent! Really nice looking work so far.

I've heard lots of problems with that $240 kit too.

Lots of nice possibilities with the R8. I think Revell will get there money out of this one!

Keep it going. I love to see the skills worked here and the final product.

Chris

Yes, Yes, Yes....I like the direction you are going. I have this kit and if I get around to building it, I would try and do something along these lines too. Great start. I really like the rear side scoops and the opening in the hood. Save your money, make the changes yourself and add to your abilities. Very Nice.

Chris, I saw pics of this from the club meeting (sorry I couldn't be there), and I knew it was started by either you or Dale (two of my favorite race car builders). I like what I see so far! One of my favorite exotics, and it looks real nasty done up as a GT3. I built the Revell kit with no problems, but seeing this makes me want to do a street racer version with a wing, like the Murcielago I did recently. Very cool, can't wait to see it done!

Chris, I saw pics of this from the club meeting (sorry I couldn't be there), and I knew it was started by either you or Dale (two of my favorite race car builders). I like what I see so far! One of my favorite exotics, and it looks real nasty done up as a GT3. I built the Revell kit with no problems, but seeing this makes me want to do a street racer version with a wing, like the Murcielago I did recently. Very cool, can't wait to see it done!

Yeah this car is sweet. The one thing I don't like about it is there is a real one (1:1) at a business in the town I live in and proportionately the kit sits to high and is to narrow as my astute obsevartion(keep in mind I am in a technical school now so my eye for detail has expanded ha ha) The goal is to have the car done by the NNL EAST.

Jeff, are going to grace us with your presence this year. One of the best shows around with some of the best. I think you would fit in well there.

Yeah this car is sweet. The one thing I don't like about it is there is a real one (1:1) at a business in the town I live in and proportionately the kit sits to high and is to narrow as my astute obsevartion(keep in mind I am in a technical school now so my eye for detail has expanded ha ha) The goal is to have the car done by the NNL EAST.

Jeff, are going to grace us with your presence this year. One of the best shows around with some of the best. I think you would fit in well there.

You know, I've never been to an NNL east show. It always seems to fall on a weekend where I have to work, or I'm out of town on another excursion, or something else....I'm gonna try and get there this year and if not, I'll try and make it to the MAMA show. I haven't been out to the shows in like 2 or 3 years or so...

Hey Chris, looks good.. will you be changing the four wheel drive to two? If so what trans will you be using? I am also working on this kit, just straight oob for now. I've just never like the side panel that much, so I'll not be doing it in a contrasting color..

Later

CCSS

Not sure it will mater as the bottom of the car is simplified as is the engine for the most part. Now does anyone know where I can find engine pics? I can find tons of reference for the car itself but nothing on the engine compartment.