Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Chrysler Turbine Car Question

MOST of them were bronze; there were a bunch of them and some were in more ordinary colors. collectible automobile did an article on it i think and they'd have used great photos. it's truly a beautiful car and a credit to elwood engel's talents. compare the turbine to the 61-63 T-bird and note the similarities; engel did most of the t-bird too. i still have a bunch of parts left over from a turbine kit that aborted during assembly.... much of it went into a custom '49 ford.

i'm sure there's more mopar-oriented folks who can add/straighten my facts(?) and give you a better idea which way to go.

WOW! What a fantastic site!! He even has pics of the models he's built! I think that's where I saved a video of the 40 out of the 50 cars being crushed many years ago :cry:................but had forgotten all about it!

Thanks Ken!

I saved a BUNCH of pics off of that one--------it looks more and more that the color Mopar used for it's standard lineup for '66-'67 is very close, if not exactly what they used for the Turbine Car.

Too bad Chrysler couldn't have just used that bodystyle sans the turbine engine for a Dodge Dart maybe? :)

Slantasaurus, thanks so much for that link! Those are nice photos as that's the first I've seen of the actual engine "in the flesh"! :)

John, I'm gonna try to dig around for the kit I want to build sometime next year.................I originally built one in the late '70's ('79?) and I remember the kit was quite a bit fiddly.

Of course I had only been building for about a year back then so my skills and techniques weren't what they are today. :)

Actually, I have two kits.............but in one of them the body was warped, so that one may be unbuildable. That's one of the caveats when building one-------some of the warpage occurs around the rocker panels, making the doors fit terribly.

The kit can be built quite nice, as I've seen some excellent examples at shows............but it's one of those kits that everything has to be test fitted along the way.

No problem Bill, I took the pics for my own reference and I'm happy to share. I've already helped some other friends on other sites. BTW the 1 spark plug is at the bottom of the engine, where you would expect to find the drain plug. I had to follow the plug wire around the engine to find that out myself. I also have a few of these kits, started 1 about 15 years ago and put it away till my skills improved to the level the kit deserves...still not sure if I'm there. LOL. Might have to dig that thing out after I finish the stuff on my bench (300C limo ). Oh, and I still haven't found a suitable match for Turbine Bronze...might do mine in black, I saw a Pro Street Turbine car that color and really liked it.

Do any of you folks know if the color of the original Turbine Car is the same as the Turbine Bronze Chryco used in 1966-67?

I'm asking because the full detail kit is on my to do list in 2007.........:twisted:

turbinecar.jpg

mike_craig.jpg

Thanks for any help! :wink:

Were the interiors the same "Tubine Bronze" as the exterior? The pictures seem to show that.

I was thinking while rubbing out the paint on my '05 'Vette...............if the Sunset Orange would be a close match for it? Dunno2.gif

I recall a conversation years ago about the actual color of the car, and remember someone saying that the car had a slight pearlescent look to it.

Also, Duplicolor's Orange Mist seems like a real close match...........I'll have to experiment with it.........

BTW, I finally found the kit after much diggin' around.........so yeah, it looks like this will be my next build after the Corvette! Grin-Nod.gif

that could be done by transplanting the amt 68 roadrunner front clip into the turbine kit. the turbine doesn't have the torsion bar k frame most mopars do; it has unequal length a-arm suspension similar to full size ford of the era, due to the width of the turbine engine and exhaust package.