Model Cars Magazine Forum

7-11 Mustang GTP

Ramcharger

Nice job so far. There's a book out on the history of IMSA GTP cars, and the Mustang GTP is included, It's got some nice photos of both the 7-11 car and the 6 and 06 Ford factory effort.I saw this car race back in the day at Road America. Great looking car but it had problems with over heating because of the front mounted turbo 4 banger was too small for the size of the car. A 8 cyl. motor would have been best for the car but the folks at Zackspeed only had expereance with the turbo 4. I have two of the Ford factory kits sitting in my stash, some day I'll get around to building them. keep posting your build pictures.

It looks like a real honey comb.

HOW DID YOU GET THE PATTERNS???

First you spray the whole thing gold. Then you lay a fine mesh screen over the part, the closer the screen is to the part, the clearer the detail. I got the screen in the fabric dept. at Wal-Mart. Then you spray light brown over the part with the screen on it. Remove the screen and lightly spray with Candy Root Beer. Finally, hit it with some clear. Voila! Poor man's carbon fiber!

• 1 month later...

Nice job so far. There's a book out on the history of IMSA GTP cars, and the Mustang GTP is included, It's got some nice photos of both the 7-11 car and the 6 and 06 Ford factory effort.I saw this car race back in the day at Road America. Great looking car but it had problems with over heating because of the front mounted turbo 4 banger was too small for the size of the car. A 8 cyl. motor would have been best for the car but the folks at Zackspeed only had expereance with the turbo 4. I have two of the Ford factory kits sitting in my stash, some day I'll get around to building them. keep posting your build pictures.

The Mustang GTP that we both saw at Road America is rather different than the kit. The turbo four had it's intake and exhaust switched side for side. I wrote an article for the long gone Motor Racing Replica News on how to correct the kit. The seven eleven car is perfect OOTB. The RA win, the car's first outing was the only win. The equally star crossed Probe followed.

The Mustang GTP that we both saw at Road America is rather different than the kit. The turbo four had it's intake and exhaust switched side for side. I wrote an article for the long gone Motor Racing Replica News on how to correct the kit. The seven eleven car is perfect OOTB. The RA win, the car's first outing was the only win. The equally star crossed Probe followed.

Is it possable to share that artical? I've got the kit on the to do shelf and would like to get it right. I also have the

7-11 kit as well. Let me know if it's doable.

Is it possable to share that artical? I've got the kit on the to do shelf and would like to get it right. I also have the

7-11 kit as well. Let me know if it's doable.

Just wanted to point something out

the 7 -11 kit is correct

the one that needs to be corrected is the motorcraft one.

the first version had the en...the exaust on theleft.

01lsimsa84.jpg

p710.jpg

since this is one of my most favotite race cars.

I have a question. reading an article on ..sorry GREG. auto scale talking about this car

it said they had problems with this engine and that even roush was building a v8 in secret

...later it talk about that they another 4 cil.....My Question. Did they use the 4 cil. that the

merkur ran later. The SVO..... because I also have the 7-11 and the motorcraft kit and want to build them

different. the motorcraft corrected and the 7-11 with the last engine they ran on it.

I am confused (so what's new?) I thought the 1:1 car shown was known as the Ford Probe race car? Can someone verify?

this what ford called the probe...it was a mid engine v8.

24674032_L3hDTSTC.jpg

this is maine done last year.

did not corrected,but will in my next one soon.

Picture1511Small.jpg

Picture1510Small.jpg

Picture1352Small.jpg

Edited by 3men2s

• 2 years later...

Awesome work on the GTP, man! Question: how did you manage to keep that old Revellogram sticky white decal adhesive from mucking up that beautiful paint job?

cut close to the image so the extra clear part of the decal don't cover so much area.

also make sure the filmy white stuff that you get from the decal is clean off with clean water.

make sure when you apply to body, the surface is clean and squeeze out all the water and air

out of them, when dry, a couple of days later hit it with clear and it comes out desent.

it worked for me. speacially using this old decals.