Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Caddy project!!!!

cruz

If folks thought the original '59 Cadillac was wild.........they would have been absolutely blown away by what might have been the final design of the '59 models.

The fins at one design point were actually taller than the roof!! I'd imagine this was ultimately rejected because of a severe blind spot caused by those fins.

One reason the Cadillac looked the way it did was GM did not like being outdone by Chrysler's '57 models. Original designs for the 1959's were nothing more than warmed over '58's---------but GM being absolutely stunned by Chrysler's '57 models in the late summer of '56, sent the designers scurrying back crushing, and tearing up everything they had for '59 and starting over. :lol:

The first designs for the '59's were done by Buick and everyone else worked around Buick's door. That's why all of GM's '59's have such wild fins-----------if you check out each of the divisions for '59, they all have about the same shape doors leading into extravagant soaring fins.

Yo Cruz, that looks great!! So when can we expect the matching convertible? LOL!!

Seriously man, that looks fantastic. I cant wait to see it in person. Will you bring it to the next MAMAS meeting?

Thanks Tommy, with God's approval, I should be there, hope to see you and the rest of the PACM boys make it also!!!! :D

If folks thought the original '59 Cadillac was wild.........they would have been absolutely blown away by what might have been the final design of the '59 models.

The fins at one design point were actually taller than the roof!! I'd imagine this was ultimately rejected because of a severe blind spot caused by those fins.

One reason the Cadillac looked the way it did was GM did not like being outdone by Chrysler's '57 models. Original designs for the 1959's were nothing more than warmed over '58's---------but GM being absolutely stunned by Chrysler's '57 models in the late summer of '56, sent the designers scurrying back crushing, and tearing up everything they had for '59 and starting over. :lol:

The first designs for the '59's were done by Buick and everyone else worked around Buick's door. That's why all of GM's '59's have such wild fins-----------if you check out each of the divisions for '59, they all have about the same shape doors leading into extravagant soaring fins.

Just to add to this,and please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the whole roof section was the same across the whole 1959 GM range except for the series 75 models of course.

The glass from a 59 Cadillac would also fit a 1960 model also. This looks the same for previous models of Cadillac, certainly the windshield glass from 1957 through to the early 1960s. Not sure if the main body shells were the same though.

John

Just to add to this,and please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the whole roof section was the same across the whole 1959 GM range except for the series 75 models of course.

The glass from a 59 Cadillac would also fit a 1960 model also. This looks the same for previous models of Cadillac, certainly the windshield glass from 1957 through to the early 1960s. Not sure if the main body shells were the same though.

John

Yes, GM starting with the '59 models adopted the Chrysler practice of using inner body shells and rooflines for all the divisions. While the glass from a '59 would also fit a '60..........not so the '57-'58 windshield glass. The '59's glass wrapped up into the roof slightly and the windshield post didn't have as steep a dogleg as the '57-'58.

Also, GM starting in '59 through about 1970 were on two year styling cycles. Once again while the inner structures were about the same, differences the customer could readily see such as fenders, glass, and rooflines changed at least every two years. In some cases at least every year as certain years are not interchangeable.

Would you believe the 1959-64 Chevy are basically the same car save for fender and roofline changes?? ;)

Cruz, I got to tell ya-----------that Caddy has one of the NICEST paint jobs I've seen come from you! That shot of the hood with the PE really sets it off! :lol:

Keep it going!

Marcos, this beast will look fantastic! I hope you give some attention to the kit glass, those late fiftees cars had window tint that can make the build stand out (although I am certain this car will stand out for sure!)

Don't put this one aside, or this could happen...

59cadmoss5-vi.jpg

Edited by Spyder

• 2 weeks later...