Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Ford Thunderbird Kustom

Car Crazy 81

Heres another one of my projects i'd wanted to show everybody i'll be working on this one little by little i got this T-Bird in a trade from member Bob Bauman it was a glue bomb but with plenty potential the original rear section was toast i'd sawed off the original section in favor of one from a Monogram 59 Impala i had the Impala rear section in the parts box stashed away once i'd joined this section on the Bird it looked sharp. I'd used a Monogram 56 T-Bird windshield frame since the kits frame was cracked. What ya'll think isn't she a saver.

58T-Bird.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'd finally got the Bird on all fours i'd got some extra T-Bird parts thanks to Mark Orr a.k.a disabled modeler. She still needs work. The door spears were removed and will be filled in for that smoother look. Im still debating on adding a canvas cover to cover the rear seat area since its gonna be a PITA to make a boot for it. What ya'll think.

58FordT-Bird2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sounds like o great start to a custom ride

I started a custom 1955 Chevy Pickup about

2 yaers ago and never finished used parts

box dash,console,seats did some work on body

added 1953 ford custom fenders it is ok

still needs to be finished and some wheels

just never got into it real good then moved

Rick, that actually looks really sharp. I much prefer the Chevy rear with the big lateral fins to the Thunderbird's small fins. Good move removing that piece of the bulge on the door, it looks much smoother. I think it looks great without roof. I don't know if you are planning to use that roof or not, but as a convertible with the big fins it looks so "period" correct. I look forward to seeing progress on this one. Especially since, purely by coincidence, I have begun a 1958 T-Bird too.