Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro-Touring '70 CUDA AAR

71datsun1200

What's up guys ? It's been awhile since i have posted anything.At the begining of this week my wife was cleanin out my sons toy box and came across the cuda in the box which my boys had started on but never finished because we moved and probably just forgot all about it. She also found a "BADRIDES" diecast 05 mustang ,which i pulled the engine and seats out of for this build. She also found a dubcity mustang and that's where i got the wheels from.crazy thing is she was about to throw all of it away. the diecast cars where pretty busted up from the kids playing with them so i turned them into parts donors. thanks for looking hope you all enjoy.

-Will

GEDC1286.jpg

GEDC1298.jpg

GEDC1306.jpg

GEDC1316.jpg

Edited by 71datsun1200

a good way to take that kit with it's totally screwed proportions and build it into something that looks right! those way wrong quarter panels look perfect now hunched over the big tires and wheels. ;)

Precisely what I was thinking, Dave! May not be good enough for a rep-stocker, but this is a perfect application for this kit! ;) This one's looking killer!

Thanks guys for the cool comments. it motivates me to do more. you guys know how it can get with this hobby. @ dave ,i've read over and over about how bad the proportions are on this kit but never really looked into it until about 5 mins ago and found a good pic of an old ad to compare to my build. looks like who ever designed the mold for this kit was the one who was way out of wack and passed it on to this kit. here's the pic i found on google for those of you who are curious or have never had a chance to do the comparison. again thanks for the comments guys ! i posted elsewhere got like a million views and maybe one comment. i thought the point of these sites where to share ,motivate and inspire each other.

1970.jpg

GEDC1293.jpg

the kit just looks terrible compared to the 1:1 in my opinion it's not even the same car except for the hood.

GEDC1404.jpg

i had to lower the battery tray since i raised the front inner wheel wells.i cut the little piece out and turned it around put it in place to put the battery in a good postion.

GEDC1405.jpg

the battery in place.

GEDC1408.jpg

here's a mock up of the big radiator i had to narrow both ways in order to get it to fit. it's like half the size it was now.

GEDC1416.jpg

picture of the engine bay with most of the parts mocked up. i might throw an msd box in there along with a wired distributer if i get some extra funds.

thanks for looking !- Will

well i'm at work day dreamin about my build and was thinking that i have a pair of the racing seats from the 1970 fast and furious monte carlo that came with a bunch of extra goodies. picked 2 of them up at kmart last year from the clearance rack for $4 each. i think those seats will look better then the ones i was going to use from the diecast car. i'll post pics when i get home tonight. i might stop by big lots to see what they got i need something with an electric fan for this build. i;m kicking myself for selling my partsbox on ebay this past fall i was frustrated with life and the hobby at the time ,so many cool parts i could have had for this build now i have nothing all those years of saving parts down the drain,oh well on to the next !

I had a chance to work on the car yesterday.Here are some pics.

GEDC1459.jpg

here's a pic of the engine which i pulled from the badrides mustang. As you can see it only has the bottom half of the tranny that's how it came. i wish it would have been a fully molded tranny it looked pretty cool. I cut the Tranny off the engine in the kit and glued it on to the engine i'm using for the build.

GEDC1457.jpg

GEDC1476.jpg

GEDC1473.jpg

GEDC1478.jpg

GEDC1513.jpg

i wanted to install an electric fan but didn't have one so i'm scratch building one from using the radiator that came in the kit. i had to chop it up a bit to fit into the new rad but i think it's a pretty good idea. any feedback would be cool

GEDC1514.jpg

thanks for looking ! thanks for the ideas to.