Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Plymouth Barracuda

mrmike

I have decided to take the plunge and tackle a resin kit. The kit is MCW's '66 Barracuda.

66Cuda01.jpg

I happen to have the MPC Hemi Under Glass kit and decided to compare the to bodies and I found them to be very similar especially the chrome pieces. I swapped out the unplated pieces for the chrome plated grille, bumpers, and taillights.

66Cuda02.jpg

I will be painting the kit with Tamiya's TS-8 Italian Red.

66Cuda03.jpg

The body was cleaned and prepped and got a coat of primer.

66Cuda04.jpg

This kit comes with 13" wheels, tires, and wheel covers. I gave the tires white stripes.

66Cuda05.jpg

The motor is partially assembled and painted with Model Master Chrysler Engine Red lacquer. I will drill the heads out for plug wires.

66Cuda06.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

Hello there friend! What a nice project!! Gotta love these cudas! The color will pop!! Are you going with the wheels supplied in the kit!! There two cudas right now that are building up to be cool once completed..

keep on wit the keepin on fella!

Tito

Nice build. Personally, I would drill out the heads for spark plug wires....... :lol:;)

Yeah, that's what I meant to say! :) Let's just call it a brain fart! :lol:

Nick, thanks for pics! I have the March 2010 issue of Mopar Muscle magazine which as a great article on a '66 Barracuda Formula S that I am using for reference.

Edited by mrmike

Ford did seem to have a bit more money to spend to disguise the Falcon- and their management was listening more to the sales and marketing departments after the damage caused by McNamara and the bean counters

If a Barracuda lineup similar to the '67s was available in 64 I think there would have been a bit more competition

How do you make these white stripe tyres, Mike?

Christian, here's a tutorial on how to make whitewall tires.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25445&st=0&p=237152&fromsearch=1&#entry237152

I realize that you live in England and that the stores I have listed in my tutorial are not available there, so check out any craft stores or office supply stores for templates and pens.

Mike, that's gonna be a nice fish! I have the Sox & Martin version I want to build someday.

I also like your whitewalls. I have seen far too many home made ww's done wrong, with the stripe closer to the outside diameter, when it should be closer to the ID as yours is.

We need a "thumb's up!" icon here!

Thanks guys! The WW tutorial was done last year and posted in the Tips section. Having the template allows one to make whitewalls on any size tire (except 1:1, of course) quickly and easily and even though I haven't tried it myself, using the next size circle, you could possbily make wider white walls.

I needed to make some additions to the '69 Barracuda chassis that I am using for my '66 Barracuda. I cut out 8 styrene wedges and glued them together to make 4 axle supports for the chassis. I then cut out 2 strips of styrene and glued them to the wheel wells of the chassis to give the body support at the front and to cover up the openings between the chassis and body.

66Cuda13.jpg

66Cuda14.jpg

66Cuda15.jpg

More to come.....

Metal axle tip- if you want the car to sit with all 4 tires on the ground guaranteed, give one axle "oval" holes to go through, like a paper clip shape (but not that drastic) that allows one axle to move up & down just a tad.

Thanks for the tip Jon. I am usually pretty lucky at getting all 4 wheels to sit on the ground, but I will keep this tip in mind when I do get to installing the wheels and tires.

nice project, im very new here,, and the reason is i am going to try to build a 66 barracuda to look like my real prostreet 66 barracuda,,i have a few early hemi hustler and a a repop under glass kit,,,where can i get this resin 66 body ???fstfish66@aol.com thanks

Edited by fstfish66

Thank you Don and Sean!

Don, I got my Barracuda kit from Model Car World. The kit goes for $37.00 and includes the body, hood, complete interior, tires and wheel covers, wheel backs, and vaccuum formed glass.

http://mcwautomotivefinishes.com/

I have made some progress! I got the chassis, interior, and body together.

66Cuda16.jpg

I decided against the kit tires in favor of the tires from the AMT '71 Charger R/T kit.

66Cuda17.jpg

The wheel covers fit is snug and leaves the inner ridge of the tire exposed so I use a silver Sharpie on the ridge and now the ridge looks to be a part of the wheel cover.

66Cuda18.jpg

More to come.....

This is so true! It would be great if Revell or Round 2 would release a new tool full detail kit of a Barracuda Formula S. I have spent many hours searching the web looking for a "Commando 273" air cleaner picture so I can make a decal for my Barracuda. I finally found one this afternoon. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

This is so true! It would be great if Revell or Round 2 would release a new tool full detail kit of a Barracuda Formula S. I have spent many hours searching the web looking for a "Commando 273" air cleaner picture so I can make a decal for my Barracuda. I finally found one this afternoon. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

mike try the early valiant barracuda web site for those type of pics good luck