Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Rat Rod Project (Updated 3/20/10)

Mooneyzs

As I am in the middle of my '06 Magnum wagon project. I have decided to start a 32 Rat Rod project to change gears just a little bit.

Here is the start of the project. I am planning on channeling the body over the frame and Chopping the Top. I will probably paint it a Red Oxide primer color.

Hopefully you don't mind the many pics in this post.

PlasticModels148.jpg

Taping up the body for the chop.

32RR41-vi.jpg

Back taping where I will make my cuts

32RR61-vi.jpg

The Damage done after cutting the top.

PlasticModels202.jpg

Setting the top on the body to see the new look

PlasticModels206.jpg

After setting the top on the body I have noticed that I will be making 2 more cuts in the roof to get the front and rear post to match up.

PlasticModels222.jpg

Worked on getting the interior tub cut down to fit for the Channeling over the frame. I took out 5/16" from the interior. Then for the seats I am thinking I am going to cut part of the centers out of the bench seat and do some scratch building to make something like an airplane bomber style seat. Then its back to work on the roof to get it back on the body but first I need to split the roof in 2 more places to stretch and make it a tad longer so that all of the posts line up correct. here is a pic of the interior tub tapped together. I am thinking of going with a white or aluminum color for the interior but not sure yet.

PlasticModels225.jpg

I first started out with gluing the center post of the roof to the body. Then I figured out where I wanted my cut line at and laid tape down and marked the side that I wanted to cut with a sharpie.

PlasticModels227.jpg

First cut on the roof.

PlasticModels229.jpg

Second Cut on the roof.

Edited by Mooneyzs

PlasticModels239.jpg

After cutting both pieces off I tapped them back in place to see the gap that I need to lengthen the roof by.

PlasticModels246.jpg

I used some evergreen styrene to make the extra length and used Weld-on #3 to glue the roof back together. I added tape to hold the pieces in the position I wanted. After the glue has dried, I will use my dremel to trim the styrene down, then use some sanding sticks and then add Bondo to complete the body work on the roof.

PlasticModels245.jpg

Underside of the body so you can see the pieces added.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Walt.... Thank you, I really like how it is turning out so far there was a look that I had for the car and had to go for it...lol

Vizio... Thanks for the compliments and belive it or not I actually lowered the car some more.

I have gotten a little more completed on the model and will have to take a few more pics of it to post.

Thanks MikeMc :rolleyes:

ok little update on the project. I have got the top a little more in shape but there is still work to do before lay bondo on it. I also had lowered the car a little more than what it was before. So here are some updated pic for you to see. Enjoy....

PlasticModels313.jpg

I got the top pieces that I added shaped down and am currently getting the pieces in the interiror shapped down which is tuff since there isn't much room...lol

PlasticModels298.jpg

PlasticModels305.jpg

PlasticModels309.jpg

Front View

PlasticModels311.jpg

PlasticModels312.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks guys!!

801ryan.... here are a couple pictures that I just shot to show you what I did to the frame and suspension on how I lowered it. I had another '32 kit that I took pictures against so you can see what I did.

PlasticModels316-1.jpg

Ok here on the front suspension if you can see the two little steps on the center section. I had cut them down so it would be able to lower the center of the frame. In doing this you will also need to trim the two pieces to the left and right of the center part. Then I also took and sanded down the top leaf spring to get it to where I wanted. Let me know if it doesn't make anysense I sould of added some arrows and photoshoped the picture. If you need me to do that, let me know and I will edit the photo for you.

PlasticModels319-1.jpg

Now for the rear end on what i did was if you can see here basically on the bag perches I cut a section out of the middle of them and glued them back into position but when I glued them I put the pieces back into the frame holes and was careful to glue in place so that the parts would line back up correct.

PlasticModels321-1.jpg

as far as the frame goes, I first started out by cutting the fuel tank out. After that I shorted the lenth of the frame rails to the rear of the car so that the frame would sit inside of the body since I was channeling the body over the frame and then I added a piece of plastic to box in the frame and will making a floor section to cover that open hole area.

I hope that these pictures helped. If you have any other questions feel free to as and I will help out as best as I can.

Edited by Mooneyzs

801ryan....You are welcome and glad I was able to help you out on one way to do the rear. Another way if you wanted is you could "Z" the frame but that would be a little more work.

Foxer....I was hoping that people wouldn't get upset with me posting so many photos. I know I personally have learned things in the past from others showing me and trying myself.

I am currently working on getting my doors scribbed out then I will be time to lay some bondo on. So Hopefully I will have some more updated pics sometime this week.

Awesome Build Mike. Love how you Z'd the frame. Thanks for the compliment's on mine. I was thinking about "Z"ing my frame but may try it on the next rat rod I do.

I just got done painting my rims on the kit, Decided to go flat black and just waiting for them to dry. I have been working on getting my doors all scribbed, then it will be time to lay the bondo so I can finish the body work. I can't wait to get this in primer.

Paul, I am planning on using the Hemi that comes in the kit and then I need to scratch build some straight headers coming off it....hmm wonder how zoomies would look laugh.gif

Verry kool and loud!!!! What I ended up with is a set of headers made from solder and tubing feeding into the stock pipes and packs

I did not have a large choice as the exhaust had to tuck up between the rails due to its low clearance these will show you.

(not trying to hijack this!!)

IMG_1290.jpgIMG_1292.jpg

Awesom3!...I love rat rods.

Can you tell me which kit you used? and did the wheels come with it? I like the old school wheel/rims.

http://www.ratroduniverse.com/rats/rat/1640_204.html

Hey Samuri.... the Kit I used is Revell's '32 5-Window Coupe 2'n1 which I picked up at Michael's for $24.95 but had a 40% off coupon and got it for like $15 bucks. The rims are the steel rims from the kit and Tires came out of a Revell's '59 Impala kit. I just painted the wheels today and decided to go with flat black. I need to paint the lug nuts and then will post some pics of the wheels. That is an awesome link with all of the rat rods on there, just took a peak and will have to go back and really look at it.

Verry kool and loud!!!! What I ended up with is a set of headers made from solder and tubing feeding into the stock pipes and packs

I did not have a large choice as the exhaust had to tuck up between the rails due to its low clearance these will show you.

(not trying to hijack this!!)

IMG_1290.jpgIMG_1292.jpg

Very Cool Mike that looks great. I have never tried to make headers with solder yet. I may have to try it one day. Don't feel like you are trying to Hijack the thread. I like the fact that other people here like to show their projects as well. I think we all learn from one another by seeing how someone else does something, if that makes sense. I am wanting to do some headers that will just go out to the side where the tubes off the heads go in to a tapered exhaust. Hope I was able to describe it right to make sense :lol:

Thanks MikeMc :lol:

ok little update on the project. I have got the top a little more in shape but there is still work to do before lay bondo on it. I also had lowered the car a little more than what it was before. So here are some updated pic for you to see. Enjoy....

PlasticModels313.jpg

I got the top pieces that I added shaped down and am currently getting the pieces in the interiror shapped down which is tuff since there isn't much room...lol

PlasticModels298.jpg

PlasticModels305.jpg

PlasticModels309.jpg

Front View

PlasticModels311.jpg

PlasticModels312.jpg

you should use orange hauler wheels for this because i used them on mine and it looks beautiful