Model Cars Magazine Forum

.062 headers

Longbow

Very nice work so far. I am having a bit of trouble fitting mine (as I am trying to get three .062" pieces of solder to fit into one .090" hole......I am building a header set-up for twin turbos on an inline6). What are you going to use to join the 4 pipes together?

The best way to do it and make it look real is to epoxy a short pice of tubing to the end of all 4 pipes then slide a piece of shrink tubing over the tube and 4 smaller tubes and heat it up. Once it shrinks it will form to the 4 smaller tubes. Then just paint it to match and it will look about as real as you can get it to look.

I have tried soldering the solder together (with limited good results). I think the more I practice, the better I will get and the more realistic it will end up looking. I have tried the CA and epoxy glues before with very limited success; however it does work well when bonding them to plastic.

And to elaborate on an earlier post; headers from side to side are most often times different to clear things like starters, motor mounts, steering shafts..........so I wouldn't worry if they are not an exact mirror of each other.

Edited by whale392

This is very awesome!!! And not to mention it is looking very good. I think I may have to go pick some solder adn try this myself. Keep us posted with more pics. Looks great.

Ment to also add that I had one pair of headers on a small block chevy engine that the driver side sat and inch lower than the other so like the others here don't worry if they aren't exactly the same.

Edited by Mooneyzs

OK guys,here's a couple of pix. Sorry about the poor pic quality,but I didn't feel like dragging out my box and lights. The color of the engine is actual Ford engine blue. These headers are made from .080 rod and glued with Tenax. The collectors are open so that I can slide the exhaust up into them. This engine is going into a Monogram '91 F-150. The engine and headers both need some touching up from handling.

008-6.jpg

007-8.jpg

that is a nice picture of the kit headers

now,

where are those scratchbuild one ?

:D

great job

Great job on the headers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I read somewhere (thought it was here) that to use solid core solder and not rosin core. Something to do with the flux leeching out of the solder

almost correct...do not use acid core due to leakage. my rosen core solders are 4 years old to current and no leaks yet...solid core is usually to thick and stiff to work with . I think Dave Zinn has a shot of the acid leaking headers ...

Edited by MikeMc

almost correct...do not use acid core due to leakage. my rosen core solders are 4 years old to current and no leaks yet...solid core is usually to thick and stiff to work with . I think Dave Zinn has a shot of the acid leaking headers ...

Thanks Mike, I knew there was something about that. I just couldn't remember what it was.

Jim,

I got my .062 rosin core solder from the Radio Shack, they also have size .030 wrapping wire which works great for plug wires. B)

I don't mean to critisize but are you quoting the right size for ignition wire as .030? As I think about that, if you are using .062 for the header pipes, that equates to 1 1/2" diameter exhaust pipes in 1:1 scale. So it would follow the that a wire size of .030 is just about exactly half of the header pipe size...or...about 3/4" diameter in 1:1 scale. That would be a pretty thick ignition wire!!! In actuality (1:1 scale) an 8mm ignition wire is .315 inch. This would result in a wire that should be approximately .012" diameter.

And to help further, in 1/25th scale, an exhaust pipe of 2" diameter equates to .080, a 1 7/8" pipe equates to .075, a 1 3/4" pipe equates to .070. Not too many headers smaller than 1 3/4" diameter. The .062 would equal a pipe 1 1/2" diameter. You're modeling a full-on race big block there and it would use 2" pipes probably.

Hope this helps.

Terry Sumner

Not too many headers smaller than 1 3/4" diameter.

Terry Sumner

Actually that statement is not correct either. All street headers use 1 5/8 primaries. Race headers start in the 1 5/8 stepped to 1 3/4 or start at 1 3/4 without using a step. The step gives a broader torque curve over using just a bigger primary.

Here's a set of 1 5/8 Hooker headers for a 'vette.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2456-1HKR/

You are of course correct in that many street headers are that small. I was trying to make my observations based primarily on what the OP was building...a full-on race big block. Not too many 1 5/8" inch headers used for big block race engines that I've ever seen! B)

Ahhh, I see where you were going now.