Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is a best set of slotted wheels in scale

Arii had a very nice set with big and little incredible BF Goodrich Radial TA tires, if you can find them.

Those Arii sets are cool and probably have the nicest set of BFG's ever made, but I agree with Dave Z; those wheels look more like the stamped steel slots than the cast ones, due to a lack of depth in the edges of the holes.

I have to say the wheels that look the most like the ones on the movie Duster are the ones that came in the old MPC(and recently reissued) 'Smokey the Convoy Chaser' Dart Sport:

amt38515.jpg

Some silver paint and a shot of DullCote, and voila!! Ansen Sprints.

Edited by VW Dave

Those are nice for sure, but the holes are much too 'square' for the application. They look similar to the Willys ones you already posted, which more closely resemble Halibrands than Ansens.

I took a look at Comp Resins' site, and their Fenton front wheels would do quite well for the application:

CRC-150s.jpg

Edited by VW Dave

Those Arii sets are cool and probably have the nicest set of BFG's ever made, but I agree with Dave Z; those wheels look more like the stamped steel slots than the cast ones, due to a lack of depth in the edges of the holes.

I have to say the wheels that look the most like the ones on the movie Duster are the ones that came in the old MPC(and recently reissued) 'Smokey the Convoy Chaser' Dart Sport:

amt38515.jpg

Some silver paint and a shot of DullCote, and voila!! Ansen Sprints.

I'm going to agree with VW Dave here. If you're trying to duplicate the "mags" on the car in that picture, the MPC wheels are the closest you'll find. If you don't want to buy the kit, there's at least one resin caster who offers them. (Cool! VW Dave just provided an answer for us) Ask the Alclad II enthusiasts on here for pics of items painted in "chrome" or "polished aluminum" and go from there.

Edited by Monty