Model Cars Magazine Forum

New portable spraybooth from modelexpo?

Neat idea, the modular part is nice too, building a car, and one is fine, want to build a big ship or a semi, add the second booth.

The fan is marginal, from what I've read the rule of thumb for a cross draft booth like this is a flow of 100 feet per minute at the face (or 100 cfm for every square foot of the opening). So with a face opening of 1.43 sq feet the fan should move at least 143 cfm, and that doesn't include going through any exhaust ducting, so really something like 160 to 175 cfm would be needed to meet the recommended flow.

For comparison with a brand popular with many here, the small Pace booth has a 1.66 sq ft (20x12") opening, with a 143 cfm fan, for a flow of 89 fpm at the face. This booth has a 1.43 sq ft (16x13) opening with a 105 cfm fan for a flow of only 73 fpm at the face.

If you are airbrushing it is probably adequate, but I would guess it won't get all the fumes from a spray can.

I just read your comment about no exhaust, that seems to defeat the point unless you are going to paint outside. I didn't see anything about a charcoal filter (and at the cost listed I don't think it would have one) all its going to do is catch the over spray, you would still stink up the place.

Looks like you could attach a sheet metal box and connect a 4" dryer vent hose to it.

That's what I was thinking. Those 4 screws could hold it on, as long as they just hold that grille on, and not the fan.

Hopefully my girlfriend will get it for my birthday. I've dropped subtle hints, like emails with links, leaving my modelexpo catalog turned to the page this is on at her desk, lol. Hopefully she picks up on it!

LC

That's what I was thinking. Those 4 screws could hold it on, as long as they just hold that grille on, and not the fan.

LC

Or you could stay with the portable breakdown idea, and use Velcro pieces in the four corners of the sheetmetal boxcool.gif . Plus 3M makes an inexpesive role of soft spongy sealing material for sealing home windows, that could form a seal between the pieces of Velcro, so there is no gap to cause fume leakage.

Any Home Depot-like store could supply you the seal, and Joanne fabrics could take care of the velcro.

Edited by Treehugger Dave

I just read your comment about no exhaust, that seems to defeat the point unless you are going to paint outside. I didn't see anything about a charcoal filter (and at the cost listed I don't think it would have one) all its going to do is catch the over spray, you would still stink up the place.

Activated charcoal filters aren't all that expensive, frankly. At Playing Mantis, where I did Product Development for Johnny Lightning, we had a ventless spray booth, downdraft style, and that one got a lot of use, mostly from the action figure guys using spray contact cements, right there in the offices, and the only odor we smelled was the residual smell from the glue solvent drying after sprayed, as the guys were working on their projects on the plan table nearby.

Art