Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starbird's Ultra Truck/Orange Hauler

charlzrocks

This is a very old Monogram kit that was a pretty fun build to do. It is an out of the box build with a few mods. The custom air filter cover on the original was kinda rectangular-ish and completely covered the engine, so I pared it down to a somewhat teardrop shape. I added aluminum tubing exhaust extensions with flared and flattened ends. The paint is Testors Fiery Orange that went on directly over the orange plastic body. I made 5 coats to get the deep coppery color. Clear coated with Future and voila!

Comments welcome as always! :lol:

OH2.jpg

OH3.jpg

OH7.jpg

Edited by charlzrocks

Another nice bubble top custom Charles!!! I am planning on doing one sometime too. Here's some history on the kit.

The original box art...

4be8_1.jpg

The second, and final reissues....

orghaulermodel.jpg

Here's a few pics of the original car....

OH1.jpg

OH2.jpg

OH3.jpg

OH4.jpgOH5.jpg

I'm doing a stock version, and here's a pic of a slightly modified (modern) version I'm working on.

P1010001-4.jpg

Unfortunately the car is being restored by it's current owner (not Starbird) and it won't be to it's original condition....sad, but true.

Another nice bubble top custom Charles!!! I am planning on doing one sometime too. Here's some history on the kit.

The original box art...

4be8_1.jpg

The second, and final reissues....

orghaulermodel.jpg

I'm doing a stock version, and here's a pic of a slightly modified (modern) version I'm working on.

P1010001-4.jpg

Unfortunately the car is being restored by it's current owner (not Starbird) and it won't be to it's original condition....sad, but true.

Thanks, I have the Second edition of the kit and used the same photos from M. Gustafsons site as reference pics. Heard they found it but nothing more as Mark doesn't update the Custom Clinic site very often. Still a cool bubble top! I'm digging the progress on yours too! This kit is pretty easy to upgrade or customize, that's the beauty part!

Very cool build!

How well detailed is the Buick Nailhead engine in the kit, and do you happen to have any pics of it?

Wow. Ummmm.....not very, as you just plop the whole chromed upper portion of the engine onto the block and that's it. Then the aircleaner. Not a very detailed engine at all. But then, if you put the whole air cleaner on ya can't see anything in there anyhow!

Edited by charlzrocks

Kool Koncept :) I like how you kept the door jams clean and not flooded with that many coats. Looks fun!

Thanks! The Testors spray enamel is pretty thin stuff and there was no white or grey primer undercoat to add to the thickness. Thus less buildup of paint and more color. You should see the thing in bright sunlight...it POPS! :lol:

Daryl Starbird to live near the high way in Mulvane Kansas. We did some mechanical work on few of his cars in the 80s and 90s. He had a build shop in Winfield Kansas for a while and that's where my Grandpa had our repair shop. It was wild to see his cars in the WIP stage. They would "frame up" the basic shape with steel tube and then weld metal panels onto the frame up. Then it was a ton of bondo... Those cars were very heavy.

Great build. It brought back some memories.

Thanks again guys! I suppose by now you know I am into show rods, bubble tops in particular. So far, I have built 8 of em: Silhouette, Beatnik Bandit, Beatnik Bandit II, Road Agent, Mysterion, Cherry Bomb, Predicta, and Orange Hauler. I was fortunate enough to obtain a Monogram '58 Thunderbird kit with the full bubble canopy recently. I can't say enough about the seller, who went out of his way to find it for me. I need to get the Cosma Ray, Magnum GT II, Futurista, and '69 Chevy SS 427 bubbletop. All of which are pretty rare and expensive, so any hints on where to get them (sides the bay) would be helpful. Thanks again for all of your kind words! That is what makes this hobby so much fun! B)

Charles, Nice job on your bubble collection so far.

Here's a little help on your future projects ...

Cosma Ray ~~ you're right, an original MPC kit is RARE and PRICEY when (and IF) found. I have one that I acquired after years of searching.

However, there is great news! A Phoenix resin caster extraordinaire, Greg Wann, has a resin Cosma Ray kit available at a modest price - certainly a ton less than you would usually have to pay for an MPC kits -- and they are BEAUTIFUL!! Around here, we call him The MasterCaster, because his products are top-drawer.

You can hook up with him on the Phoenix Model Builders Bulletin Board ... he goes by the handle "Arotarot" and posts there often. Easiest way to get there is to go to MoonlightModelers.com then go to the Links page and click on the Phoenix Model Builders button.

I have several of his Cosma Ray kits ... I'm building a replica of each version of the 1:1. I'll try to photo & post the parts from Greg's kit by the weekend.

If you've always wanted a Cosma Ray, Greg's kits are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Hey Charles

Beautiful ride you got there. Not sure how far Hamilton is but we are having a show in Little Rock AR in April and Mr. Starbird is going to be there. Maybe you can make the trip and bring that beauty up to show him and get a autograph to go along with it.

Jon

Charles, Nice job on your bubble collection so far.

Here's a little help on your future projects ...

Cosma Ray ~~ you're right, an original MPC kit is RARE and PRICEY when (and IF) found. I have one that I acquired after years of searching.

However, there is great news! A Phoenix resin caster extraordinaire, Greg Wann, has a resin Cosma Ray kit available at a modest price - certainly a ton less than you would usually have to pay for an MPC kits -- and they are BEAUTIFUL!! Around here, we call him The MasterCaster, because his products are top-drawer.

You can hook up with him on the Phoenix Model Builders Bulletin Board ... he goes by the handle "Arotarot" and posts there often. Easiest way to get there is to go to MoonlightModelers.com then go to the Links page and click on the Phoenix Model Builders button.

I have several of his Cosma Ray kits ... I'm building a replica of each version of the 1:1. I'll try to photo & post the parts from Greg's kit by the weekend.

If you've always wanted a Cosma Ray, Greg's kits are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Thanks danno, you have a pm.

Hey Charles

Beautiful ride you got there. Not sure how far Hamilton is but we are having a show in Little Rock AR in April and Mr. Starbird is going to be there. Maybe you can make the trip and bring that beauty up to show him and get a autograph to go along with it.

Jon

Thanks Jon!

Hamilton is an hour south of Tupelo, MS. I would have to look at a map to see how far LR is from there, but it might be a plan! :P

Thanks danno, you have a pm.

Got your PM. I'll check on your question and get back to you.

Greg's kits are complete ... chassis, engine, interior, and fantastic cast resin clear bubble tops! Everything except the decals, tires, metal axles and the front springs (the MPC kit had metal coils for "working" suspension). You can sustitute cut-down ballpoint pen springs.

Wait til you see the pix!