Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck Batteries

Hi
I'm looking for 4 or more 1/25th scale truck batteries if you could point me in the right direction
I sure would appreciate it.
they don't have to match the picture exactly just so they are close.
smile.gif

WC-Ernie-truckbattery.jpg

If you have some you are willing to part with I'll be glad to trade parts or dead Presidents or whatever you need
Thanks Ernie

Hi

I'm looking for 4 or more 1/25th scale truck batteries if you could point me in the right direction

I sure would appreciate it.

they don't have to match the picture exactly just so they are close. smile.gif

WC-Ernie-truckbattery.jpg

If you have some you are willing to part with I'll be glad to trade parts or dead Presidents or whatever you need

Thanks Ernie

you can also email me directly at

ernie-p@cox.net biggrin.gif

You know you can make one.

Ernie they are very easy to make, here is some that I have made for my 1/16th Kenworth SAR, you dont have to go over board with them like I have

but they are quite easy, have a try

styrene box with folded photo etch cheque plate

100_7348.jpg

batteries also made from styyrene, with brass clamp

100_7333.jpg

didn't like the first termials I made some in brass

100_7357.jpg

really all they are just a box with a couple of terminals,

• 4 years later...

I'm tagging onto this post since my question is about batteries on big trucks/tractors. I'm thinking of using the battery boxes from the AMT Ford LN Hauler kit, but I'm not sure how many batteries each box would've contained on a real truck of similar size/weight. It appears three typical automotive batteries (in the image below, two from the AMT '60 Chevy pickup kit, with room for a third) would fit inside, but I'm assuming a big truck would use larger batteries, perhaps only being able to fit two per battery box?

Was there anything special (external appearance-wise) regarding big truck batteries compared to a typical automotive battery? Are the cell caps similar, too? Always top terminals?

How many batteries is typical? Two? Four? I guess it would depend upon what else is mounted on or to the truck which would require extra batteries, so maybe two is typical, with more added as the electrical demand increases?

Here's what I'm thinking of using:

639473f7-62cb-423b-8bde-7d567fc7400f.jpg

*edit*

Here is the battery box and four batteries from the AMT GMC Astro 95 kit, and they are definitely larger than the above batteries, so I think I have my answer. -_-

48bfd836-8976-4536-98ed-f9715345aed5.jpg

Sorry, Bud, but the picture of the batteries isn't coming up.....I have a few laying around, here and there.....I don't typically use them, as they just end up being covered by a never opening box, so I have some....But need to see the pic to be sure I have what you need....

Casey, how many batteries varies by the truck.

The trucks I've been around have been 12v and wired in parallel. The point of this is that it maintains 12v but adds to the storage capacity and amps available to turn over he engine. When wired in parallel the batteries have short jumpers between the extra batteries, positive to positive, negative to negative.

There are trucks set up for 24v which are wired in series, with the jumpers running positive to negative from each battery.

Some trucks are wired in both series and parallel (24v + extra capacity / power), I'd guess this is probably generally the case when set up for 24v as they not only need the voltage, but probably also want the additional storage and power. In this case I can only assume they would have to run an even number of batteries, some in series and some in parallel. I've never worked on a 24v truck so only guessing.

Most medium duty trucks seem to run 2 or 3 batteries that are about 50% larger than a generic car battery. I'm not positive, but I would think someone working on a tight budget could probably get away with using car batteries, although the batteries would probably have a shortened life span.

As far as appearance, yes they basically look the same just bigger. I've seen both top and side terminals used.

Edited by Aaronw

Casey, how many batteries varies by the truck.

Most medium duty trucks seem to run 2 or 3 batteries that are about 50% larger than a generic car battery. I'm not positive, but I would think someone working on a tight budget could probably get away with using car batteries, although the batteries would probably have a shortened life span.

Casey, as Aaron said, it does vary by truck, but in your case two or three would be norm, and you could probably get by with the batteries you pictured. I know for my 1990 F350 diesel, it requires two group 65 batteries, which are close in size to the ones you have in the pic and could also be on the smaller end of batteries used in an LN. I know the guy I'd bought an old 83 Chrysler off of took a group 65 out of a newer (early to mid 80s) LN dump truck and threw it in the car! :lol: If it was the correct battery for that truck or not, I don't know, but it started the car great! :lol:

EDIT: Also, some big rigs run 3 or 4, and the big rig versions are much bigger than even the large group 65. If you get the chance the next time you are walking around the automotive section at Walmart, it will give you an idea of the size difference. I know they carry up to deep cycle RV/Marine batteries and those would be close in size to a big rig battery and compare them in size to the group 65 battery,

Edited by highway