Model Cars Magazine Forum

Since it's in a Kenworth, and you say that it's early 1970s; the engine should be white. If you don't want white, Cummins painted their engines beige back then; and Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55 is a pretty good match. Personally, I'd go with white.

Since it's in a Kenworth, and you say that it's early 1970s; the engine should be white. If you don't want white, Cummins painted their engines beige back then; and Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55 is a pretty good match. Personally, I'd go with white.

thanks haven't done diesel before

Usually the best bet is just ask here, it seems like no matter how obscure somebody will have the answer.

For me I'll usually start with the headlights, if they are round then it is probably pre-1980 (ish). Although that is not always the case, it still works for most trucks. There is also a pretty noticable change in truck styling in the early 60s.

I find it is fairly easy to look at a truck and divide them into pre-1960s (cab overs usually have a hump in the front, conventionals have more of a 1950s pickup truck styling), 1960s-1970's (look like a modern truck with round headlights) and 1980 or newer.

If you are dealing with plastic semi truck kits it is pretty safe to assume it is not any earlier than 1968-69, so all you have to do is decide if it is from the late 1960s / 1970s or is it newer (1980s +). Probably 80% of the AMT/Ertl kits are of 1970 something trucks, Italeri and Revell of Germany are usually 1980s +. Of course there are some like the Ford C that look pretty much the same whether it is 1957 or 1987.

I recently had to "opportunity" to swap the motor (an NT855) out of the '68 Pete dump truck that I drive, with a motor out of a '60s

vintage Kenworth (also an NT 855). I suspect that both motors at some time have been changed. But as it relates to this topic, the

motor that came out of the Pete was Cummins tan. The one that we put is had a Cat yellow block, red aftercooler, and tan heads. We

added the auxilary drive from the original motor so it was tan as well. On vintage trucks that may have had the motor changed and/or

rebuilt you can have a little fun with the color, and anything within reason, or that you can document, goes. This probably muddies

the waters further.