Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat-look BMW E21

stevebarry

Thought I'd share a few pictures of the BMW I'm building for a group build on another forum. Just between you and me, I don't think they quite get the idea of the rat look scene over there...

E21_015.jpg

E21_018.jpg

E21_020.jpg

That Fujimi kit is some old motorised thing from, I suspect, the 1980s. Not a very nice kit at all, and it's recently been re-released. Just a heads up if anybody was thinking of getting one sight unseen and expecting it to be up to the standards of the better Fujimi kits.

kInda reminds me of the vintage BMW (I think it was a 2002) a customer used to own, kinda beat and ratty looking (actually pretty good for a car that age here in Chicagoland), with a few bolt on hop up parts. He recently sold it off and his mid 90's 3 series sedan for a matching 3 series wagon as a daily driver.

*Edit*

I went back and found pics of Gene's '74 2002!

what011.jpg

what015.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

Now personally I hate BMW's (probrably due to the way the drivers of them act around here B) ) however this is a very interesting project. Nice subject and I dig the paint.

you know what the difference is between a BMW and a hedgehog right ?

a hedgehog has the pricks on the outside !!!

Nice job! Remind me this one.

33010010649_large.jpg

This car was brought up on another forum I frequent. I can't remember if it was JNC, Celicasupra or toyotacressida.net. Doesn't matter where... the point I was getting to was how they do that. Supposedly, they strip the car to bare metal. They then spray a light saltwater solution on it and let it sit overnight or longer. When they get the patina they are looking for, they clearcoat the car. Personally, I love that BMW and would do it in a heartbeat if I found a 318 or 328 cheap enough.

You've got a good job on yours. Don't forget the roof rack or the mad camber ;)

Now personally I hate BMW's (probrably due to the way the drivers of them act around here :lol: ) however this is a very interesting project. Nice subject and I dig the paint.

Add Audi drivers to that group! They think they are hot stuff, and always have to show off or so. Squeeze into a crowded lane at the very last minute, ride your rear bumper and so on.... GRRRRR!!!! That badge they have, with the four rings used to belong to an old car named DKW. It was a piece of junk in the old days, when I grew up and saw these cars. Now they call them Audi, and it's a "prestige" car. But to me it's still a DKW, when they drive like idiots!!! Tell someone you know about this, hehehe.....oh yes, I'm ranting now. And I've had some encounters with BMW drivers too, since I work as a taxi driver......

kInda reminds me of the vintage BMW (I think it was a 2002) a customer used to own, kinda beat and ratty looking (actually pretty good for a car that age here in Chicagoland), with a few bolt on hop up parts. He recently sold it off and his mid 90's 3 series sedan for a matching 3 series wagon as a daily driver.

*Edit*

I went back and found pics of Gene's '74 2002!

what011.jpg

what015.jpg

Wow! Man that picture brings back memories!

I went to UTI in Carol Stream and my room-mates and I used to go to Sycamore speedway like every weekend! Spectators FTW!

Project looks very interesting. I never really payed attention to BMW's until I got a job working on them for 6 years at the dealership. They really are awesome cars!

I had a few E30's and they were a pleasure to drive... and pretty indestructible too.

This car was brought up on another forum I frequent. I can't remember if it was JNC, Celicasupra or toyotacressida.net. Doesn't matter where... the point I was getting to was how they do that. Supposedly, they strip the car to bare metal. They then spray a light saltwater solution on it and let it sit overnight or longer. When they get the patina they are looking for, they clearcoat the car. Personally, I love that BMW and would do it in a heartbeat if I found a 318 or 328 cheap enough.

You've got a good job on yours. Don't forget the roof rack or the mad camber :lol:

IIRC they used brake fluid.

I'll fess up here and now and admit that I'm now on my third BMW 3 Series, but I know what you guys mean about some of the idiots who "drive" them. Fortunately in this country most of them have gone over to Audis or Passats so people aren't quite so mean to us any more. Had a blitz on it today - I didn't want to spend too much time on this kit as it really isn't very nice or accurate at all. You could sort out its issues by throwing a lot of time and effort at it but this was a fun build, rough edges on my part and all. I scratched together a roof rack and gave it, of course, a ridiculous amount of negative camber. Some additional rust stains were made using ground pastels and I went round tweaking it up until I was fairly happy with the result.

E21_029.jpg

E21_033.jpg

Forgot to do a toning down wash on the front bumper, so it looks bright orange right now. I'll deal with it in due course.