Model Cars Magazine Forum

willys gasser pick-up

doomcrew

Steve,

How did you end up with the starter on the left side of the engine?

DSCF6239-vi.jpg

I thought that you were using the engine from the Revell '41 Willys...

On mine, the starter is on the right side...

43WillysPickup11-vi.jpg

Either way, the whole build is looking GREAT!!

Thanks for sharing,

Steve,

How did you end up with the starter on the left side of the engine?

DSCF6239-vi.jpg

I thought that you were using the engine from the Revell '41 Willys...

On mine, the starter is on the right side...

43WillysPickup11-vi.jpg

Either way, the whole build is looking GREAT!!

Thanks for sharing,

He's running a 426 Hemi. See the mag in the front. So the starter would have to be on the left. Your old 329 with the mag in the back has the starter on the right. I did notice that the oil lines look like they go in the rear instead of the front of the block though on his 426 and the mag is not properly located, but the blower drive might be in the way. That's what I hate about blowers, it's hard to get the dist. or mags where they are supposed to be. Both of you have some nice builds though.

He's running a 426 Hemi. See the mag in the front. So the starter would have to be on the left. Your old 329 with the mag in the back has the starter on the right. I did notice that the oil lines look like they go in the rear instead of the front of the block though on his 426 and the mag is not properly located, but the blower drive might be in the way. That's what I hate about blowers, it's hard to get the dist. or mags where they are supposed to be. Both of you have some nice builds though.

Thanks for the clarification and the info!!

I'm not really a MOPAR guy, so I didn't know there was that much of a difference between the early and the later HEMI blocks.

Later,

thanks for the comments guys.

ahh, the joys of customizing, great isn't it? as i'm not building a replica, it means i have a bit of creative freedom, and this meant changing the gearbox.

this came from a dodge charger, which is why the starter is on the left. the gearbox that went with the engine (41 willys street rod kit) was too bulky, and meant building a new trans tunnel.

i also relocated the magneto, as the rear of the blower hangs over the original location. however this was planned from the start.

steve ;):D

Thanks for the clarification and the info!!

I'm not really a MOPAR guy, so I didn't know there was that much of a difference between the early and the later HEMI blocks.

Later,

Anytime. I used to own a 392 Hemi. It had an auto tranny with a torque converter and between the engine and the converter is a clutch assembly. So you could rev this thing up, dump the clutch and let the auto shift the gears. And yes, that is a stock tranny set up, nothing custom. It worked pretty good for back then, but a stock A727 would out shift it any day.

Wouldn't it be the other way around..? The distributor or mag has to be there, the blower is an option.

I see what you are saying, but when it comes to the models they don't make them quite right to put the blower and the mag or dist where they should go. Now for the real thing, they make offset gear drives and such to mount the dist or mag when the blower gets in the way. They have some that run off the cam right out the front of the timing chain cover. Fords are the worse and they make a gear driven deal that sits in the stock dist hole and the dist sits in the drive offset away from the blower drive.

Another thing that gets in the way on the real ones is T stat or radiator hose mounts. They make cast offset housings for those too.

thanks for the comments guys.

ahh, the joys of customizing, great isn't it? as i'm not building a replica, it means i have a bit of creative freedom, and this meant changing the gearbox.

this came from a dodge charger, which is why the starter is on the left. the gearbox that went with the engine (41 willys street rod kit) was too bulky, and meant building a new trans tunnel.

i also relocated the magneto, as the rear of the blower hangs over the original location. however this was planned from the start.

steve :DB)

Sorry about that. I thought you was trying to do the 426 instead of the older Hemi's

Your gas coupe is looking good and I'm enjoying your progress. One comment/question - aren't the rear shocks upside down?

I noticed that too, but we run ours upside down on our real race cars. But, ours are made to run either way. IT cuts down on unsprung weight and helps handling in out case.

Sorry about that. I thought you was trying to do the 426 instead of the older Hemi's

I noticed that too, but we run ours upside down on our real race cars. But, ours are made to run either way. IT cuts down on unsprung weight and helps handling in out case.

think nothing of it mate. as it happens, the rear are fitted that way as per the instructions. if i'm not mistaken, the Austin gasser is the same, i would check but i can't be arsed to get the box out. :rolleyes::lol::D

thanks russ.

made some more progress and managed to get the first coats of paint on. i have improved the door hinges so that they hang better. i made a new set of rear fenders from two revell 32 ford kits rear fenders. basically chopped them half way and mated the two halves together. the reason for doing this was that the original fenders were too narrow for the tyres that i am using. i'm using a hood scoop from the monogram badman kit, and just cleaned it up a little. the matt black is the base coat for the sparkle pearl purple.

DSCF6249-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6250-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6251-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6254-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6255-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6256-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6258-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6259-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6260-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCF6261-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

the tank is just placed in for the time being.

steve

cheers guys.

aren't those wheels great? they do fit the revell tyres, and even though i can use the ones from the model king version,

i would have a struggle getting the rear wheels in the tyres as they are solid, plus they are a bit too shiny.

i will prevail.

steve :D

to get rid of the "shinys" use some baking soda & a toothbrush, or a light wipe down with lacquer thinner.

hello everyone. well i managed to do some building despite my arm cast, and i have found the drums for the rear end, they are form the AMT 53 stude.

i made some progress on the engine and it is now wired with a bit more plumbing. i used a magneto from pro-tech and wire looms from a ross gibson engine. the fuel pump is from the old AMT "Mr Speed" 53 stude. the braided hose and A/N fittings are Detail Master. there is still more to do on the engine, but i'm getting there.

DSCF6159.jpg

DSCF6163.jpg

DSCF6167.jpg

DSCF6166.jpg

thanks for looking.

steve

really looking good but on a Hemi engine the plug boots are either down in the valve covers, or have a flat rubber seal at the valve cover neither one would have the boot sticking out of the valve cover over a 1/4 inch or so. (Just a bit of nit picking,no offense meant.)

I see what you are saying, but when it comes to the models they don't make them quite right to put the blower and the mag or dist where they should go. Now for the real thing, they make offset gear drives and such to mount the dist or mag when the blower gets in the way. They have some that run off the cam right out the front of the timing chain cover. Fords are the worse and they make a gear driven deal that sits in the stock dist hole and the dist sits in the drive offset away from the blower drive.

Another thing that gets in the way on the real ones is T stat or radiator hose mounts. They make cast offset housings for those too.

On the 392 Chrysler "early" Hemi, there is enough room at the back of the blower to run the mag, we ran a blown 392 in a boat, (it was a 6-71 blower,with two 500 cfm Edelbrock competition carbs) & the kits that have the 392 engine usually have the same blower set up.

on the 426 motor there is usually a drive provision that puts the mag at an angle from the left (passenger) side of the front cover.