Model Cars Magazine Forum

Something a little different.

charlie8575

Sadly, like many of the 1:1 cars, it seems all we ever see of 1932 Fords are street and hot-rods, racers and so forth.

I don't really build any of those things, and have begun building an AMT 1932 Model B as a stock car. I'm about 50% of the way to completion.

The colors I've selected will be Model Master Light Ivory with Sand Beige fenders and trim. The interior has been painted with Rust-Oleum American Accents Taupe, which is still a bit glossy for my liking. I'll be hitting it with some Model Master semi-gloss and the top with Dullcote.

The only major problem I've had with it was the engine. I think a combination of worn molds and Chinese/RC2 "quality control" conspired, and left a big gap I just can't get rid of. But, where the engine is pretty well hidden at the front, I'm not going to worry about it too much. I still have detailing to do to the engine. The paint is Testors flat green of some kind, I think Olive Drab. It came in one of the little sets I picked up a few years ago when I found most of my paint had dried out.

I've discovered that Photobucket is down for maintainance at the moment, so I'll try to get some pictures up within the next 24 hours.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Wait a few minutes, and Photobucket's working again.

DSCF0185.jpg

I decided to try brushing the chassis as it's what I had on hand and don't really have anyplace to do any airbrushing at the moment. I used Tamyia semi-gloss black, and it looks pretty good.

DSCF0194.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0190.jpg

The tires will probably get another coat of flat white to improve their appearance.

DSCF0189.jpg

One thing I wasn't clear on from the directions, was this little box. It didn't say if it was intended for all versions. I put it on anyway and can remove it if I need to. Anyone?

DSCF0188.jpg

Enjoy.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

• 7 months later...

It's been quite some time, but here's some first-stage mock-up.

This car is going to definitely be a shelf model, but I can't wait for it to get re-issued again. I've enjoyed building it and would like to do some different combinations for colors.

The interior is assembled and installed, I have a small amount of touch-up to do on the spare-tire cover. The engine turned into a bit of a disaster, so it's also going to be displayed with the hood closed.

189.jpg

190.jpg

188.jpg

My first shot at painting a pin-stripe in a VERY long time, possibly ever.

191.jpg

Charlie Larkin

I don't know how I missed the start of this, but I like it! Good to see ya on the TV table ... errr ... bench, Charlie. :D

Every time I've opened a '32 Ford box, even the first in the '60, I've admired the fenders and thought it would make a great build stock! It's good to see one getting done .. you might have the first stock deuce in the business! :D

I really like the color scheme. It looks like it should be cruising Misquamicut Beach!

I really like the color scheme. It looks like it should be cruising Misquamicut Beach!

Had to look up where that beach was, as I hadn't heard of it.

Your point is well-taken, Mike. After which, we can head over to Point Judith for some clams and calimari.

And I have to wonder....it does rather seem I have the first stock '32, doesn't it?

Charlie Larkin

Wait a few minutes, and Photobucket's working again.

DSCF0185.jpg

I decided to try brushing the chassis as it's what I had on hand and don't really have anyplace to do any airbrushing at the moment. I used Tamyia semi-gloss black, and it looks pretty good.

DSCF0194.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0190.jpg

The tires will probably get another coat of flat white to improve their appearance.

DSCF0189.jpg

One thing I wasn't clear on from the directions, was this little box. It didn't say if it was intended for all versions. I put it on anyway and can remove it if I need to. Anyone?

DSCF0188.jpg

Enjoy.

Charlie Larkin

Looks great charlie post some completed pics :D