Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the best material ???

GaryM

Can any body give some tips on material to be used for brake lines and fuel lines. This will be my first model to try and use lines of this sort. After about thirty years of modeling I figure its time to learn some new tricks. Thanx, Gary

Check your local Hobby Lobby, Michaels or other craft stores in the necklace and bead isle. You find spools of wire in a number of various guages that should work. Some guys use the finer diameter solder. You should be able to find this at Radio Shack.

Check your local Hobby Lobby, Michaels or other craft stores in the necklace and bead isle. You find spools of wire in a number of various guages that should work. Some guys use the finer diameter solder. You should be able to find this at Radio Shack.

Thank You for the info for my question I have looked at that stuff before but never put 2+2 together.

Thanx, Gary

I use beading wire as well. Don't be afraid to poke around the beading wire section, as that wire also comes in coated as well as bare silver. The black and red in the heaveir gauges makes exellent battery cables, I also use the black for brake, feul, and oil hoses.

• 1 month later...

Lately I've been using the inner wire from the twist-ties that come with the boxes of kitchen garbage bags. I just heat the plastic coating with a butane lighter to soften it up a bit then strip it off with my thumbnail.

The wire inside is steel, so it has the right color for fuel and brake lines and seems to me, to be about the right size. It's also esy to work with and best of all it's free!

• Like 1

I also use Bead wire for fuel and brake lines. 60 guage insulated wire is great for wiring engines. Clear and Red Monofilament Fishing line works great for replicating the fuel lines used on Rods and Customs built during the 50s and early 60s. The wire from old electric motor armatures like the ones used in Slot Cars,Model Trains, and motorised toys makes good vacuum lines, and when coiled around a 1/16" rod makes great throtle return springs. Wound guitar strings look good on modern builds. 14-12 guage insulated wire makes good hoses. I preffer Solid wire instead of stranded as it is easier to work with, and holds shapes better. Top hat Diodes make great aircleaners for multi 2 barrel carb setups, but you can get this type of aircleaner from the aftermarket parts producers these days.

Whenever you go into a Craft Shop, or a Shop like Radio Shack look around with thoughts of what can be used to detail your models. Craft shops can also be a source for very small dice and skulls used in jewellry making that make great gear shift nobs. Martha Stewart Puts out some very useful flocking that can be used for carpets, etc. In the Fabric section of craft stores you can get packages of printable very thin fabric, that can be used in interiors( Mexican Blankets,etc.)

CHEERS!

I just picked up 3 spools of wire from a guy that ties fishing flies, in 24, 26 and 28 gauge. In silver, gold and black respectively. Each spool has 40 yards on it and I paid like $2.00 apiece for them at a yard sale......just a thought. :o

Fishing line works well for making fuel lines, and it's available in a variety of colors. Red salt-water fishing line works especially well for representing the red fuel line that was often used on '50s and '60s rods and customs. (Thanks to Dave Zinn for that tip!)

That's exactly what I need for a rat rod project-thanks.

All above have been excellent ideas! I also use Safety Wire (being an aviation mechanic has some benefits to my hobby) for a lot of things. I have spools of .010", .020", .025", .032", .041" and some heavy .062" stuff, augmented by the bead wire in 24, 26, 28, and 30 gauge. We also have these things we use at work that are .032" braided cable.......when sprayed flat black can be used very effectively as cloth-wrapped lines. Also; the 20, 22, and 26 gauge twisted shielded wire we have can be used (once the plastic sleeve is stripped) for replicating braided line of various diameters.

• 12 years later...
On 5/21/2010 at 5:47 PM, whale392 said:

All above have been excellent ideas! I also use Safety Wire (being an aviation mechanic has some benefits to my hobby) for a lot of things. I have spools of .010", .020", .025", .032", .041" and some heavy .062" stuff, augmented by the bead wire in 24, 26, 28, and 30 gauge. We also have these things we use at work that are .032" braided cable.......when sprayed flat black can be used very effectively as cloth-wrapped lines. Also; the 20, 22, and 26 gauge twisted shielded wire we have can be used (once the plastic sleeve is stripped) for replicating braided line of various diameters.

Where can I find these different types and sizes of wires? Thanks